The Place For All Your 'Nonsense' Questions To Be Answered By Your Fellow Librivoxers

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Why does Microsoft really, really, really, really, really want me to play Soda Saga and Candy Crush? Does Microsoft have a secret file on me that says that my age is five?
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

lightcrystal wrote: April 19th, 2022, 2:10 am Why does Microsoft really, really, really, really, really want me to play Soda Saga and Candy Crush? Does Microsoft have a secret file on me that says that my age is five?
Ma'am,In case you misunderstood the motive behind creating this thread,It was actually meant to have discussions on questions which are important but the person who asked it would otherwise be considered dumb if he/she were to ask it in his/her School,Collage or Tution.
In a single sentence,this thread can be considered as a Mini-Quora on Librivox.

But anyways,please continue with your question and I would like to add here that you have a good sense of humor. :thumbs:

I would also like to request you to kindly read the very first post of this thread.

And,I do not know the answer to your question.Maybe others can help.

Have A Good Day. :D
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Someone may ask the next question. I just needed to ask that question as my rhetorical inoculation against a megacorp's mind-invasion.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

lightcrystal wrote: April 19th, 2022, 7:44 am Someone may ask the next question. I just needed to ask that question as my rhetorical inoculation against a megacorp's mind-invasion.
No,no,please continue with your question.Moreover,such occasional fun questions would be helpful in keeping the spirit here high. :)

By the way,what does 'Rhetorical Inoculation' mean?My English is not that good.

I hope I did not offend you with my last message.It is hard to stay polite in text messageing because the reader might percieve the tone of the message as something completely different from what you intended it to be.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

AdhiraamBose wrote: April 19th, 2022, 8:04 am
lightcrystal wrote: April 19th, 2022, 7:44 am Someone may ask the next question. I just needed to ask that question as my rhetorical inoculation against a megacorp's mind-invasion.
No,no,please continue with your question.Moreover,such occasional fun questions would be helpful in keeping the spirit here high. :)

I hope I did not offend you with my last message.It is hard to stay polite in text messageing because the reader might percieve the tone of the message as something completely different from what you intended it to be.
You are the Oracle of politeness. I am not offended. Rhetorical Inoculation = protection. The rhetorical part makes it humorous as a question that's not intended to be answered; the questioner already knows thea nswer
:D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

On the other hand, Candy Crush is played by many adults. So maybe they just peg you as someone fanciful enough to enjoy that sort of thing. :P I don't know about the other game.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

lightcrystal wrote: April 19th, 2022, 8:29 am
AdhiraamBose wrote: April 19th, 2022, 8:04 am

You are the Oracle of politeness. I am not offended. Rhetorical Inoculation = protection. The rhetorical part makes it humorous as a question that's not intended to be answered; the questioner already knows thea nswer
:D
Ma'am,Whenever you feel like you have had enough discussion on your question,please make a post by writing "Next Question Please." in bold.

I am not implying you to hurry up.It is just necessary so that others might know that they can post their question.

Thank You For Understanding. :D
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

next question please
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

My Question Is:-
Are Latin people and the Caucasian people the same?
From what I have seen,Latin people have a slightly tan skin colour,whereas Caucasian people have a fair skin colour.So,do they share the same ancestry?

Please Carefully Read The Very First Post On This Thread Before Posting Your Reply.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What do you mean by "Latin people" and "Caucasians"?

Here's my opinion:

"Caucasians" has become another term for "white people". And opinions vary as to what even that means. Are those along the Mediterranean (Greeks and Italians, for example) "white"?

If you assume all Europeans are "white"/Causcasian, then one must look at the term "Latin people."

"Latin" is obviously originally from the language/location around Italy. So yes, Latins are Europeans, and if all Europeans are "white", then Latins are White.

But if you're referring to, say, Latin Americans (those living in Mexico and south to the tip of South America), most of those are not pure European descendants, but have intermixed with the native populations to a greater or less extent. So would they be considered "white"? Umm, ask them - but I would consider them not "white" or "Caucasian".

In North America, on the census or other forms that ask for one's racial makeup, they usually list:
White/Caucasian
Black
Latino/Latina
East Asian (I'm not certain how specific they get on this)
etc.

So for general census and other such purposes, statisticians don't consider Latin to be Caucasian.

(Ha - perhaps I should have started with the census thing, since it seems to clear it up fairly cleanly.) :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

TriciaG wrote: May 7th, 2022, 6:23 am What do you mean by "Latin people" and "Caucasians"?

Here's my opinion:

"Caucasians" has become another term for "white people". And opinions vary as to what even that means. Are those along the Mediterranean (Greeks and Italians, for example) "white"?

If you assume all Europeans are "white"/Causcasian, then one must look at the term "Latin people."

"Latin" is obviously originally from the language/location around Italy. So yes, Latins are Europeans, and if all Europeans are "white", then Latins are White.

But if you're referring to, say, Latin Americans (those living in Mexico and south to the tip of South America), most of those are not pure European descendants, but have intermixed with the native populations to a greater or less extent. So would they be considered "white"? Umm, ask them - but I would consider them not "white" or "Caucasian".

In North America, on the census or other forms that ask for one's racial makeup, they usually list:
White/Caucasian
Black
Latino/Latina
East Asian (I'm not certain how specific they get on this)
etc.

So for general census and other such purposes, statisticians don't consider Latin to be Caucasian.

(Ha - perhaps I should have started with the census thing, since it seems to clear it up fairly cleanly.) :lol:
So,are the Latin people a sub-category of the Caucasian for the same reason as the Slavic People and the Celtic Poeple are,their History and Mythology?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't think we need "racial" discussions here - anyone who studies any history knows that most of the world's landmass has been marched across continually by armies for centuries leaving their genetic material behind them.

Anne
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

annise wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:15 pm Don't think we need "racial" discussions here - anyone who studies any history knows that most of the world's landmass has been marched across continually by armies for centuries leaving their genetic material behind them.

Anne
I just wanted to know about the Latin Culture and History.I didn't think that such a discussion would lead to quarrels on the forum maybe because I am not much aware of the History of the Western World.But anyways,If anyone from the Admin Team demands me to change the Topic,I would be ready do so.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello, AdhiraamBose,

Your question is challenging, as the answer would be very complex. I would like to offer this small contribution from my limited personal perspective as a "Non-US" Latin American. I think what Tricia has said about the USA census is most illuminating to understand the term "Latin American" as it is used in that country. On the other hand, for us in Latin America (from the southernmost islands near Antarctica up to the south border of USA), the term "Latin American" has clear identity/geographical/political connotations: it does not refer to race. Also, I would say the term "white" is very loosely used in our countries. For example, in my country, Chile, you will find many people describing themselves as white who clearly have a combination of different genetic heritages.

Obviously, there is no "one size fits all" option. As for myself, I am a hundred percent (as far as I know :D) Caucasian: 25% Spanish and 75% Slav, descending mostly from relatively recent immigrants. If you look at me, I'm as white as they come. But I do not identify myself as "white" or "caucasian" at all: that is just a fact, not who I am as a person. I am Chilean and in the world context I think of myself as a Latin American. I see the world through my Latin American eyes, so as to say. (If I saw it through my Caucasian eyes that would be quite a different thing.). So this is more a matter or identity/ethnicity than one of just race.

All that being said, I think that if you asked the average Chilean, they would choose the "Caucasian" option for themselves, even if it does not strictly apply. Also, to sum up, I don't see Latin Americans as just a sub-group of "Caucasian". Somewhere I've seen the term "Mixed" used, and although I feel it can be quite descriptive if people are given the choice to specify, I don't honestly know whether some people can be offended.

As far as I am concerned, I celebrate all diversity as the treasure to share it is.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Dulcamara wrote: May 9th, 2022, 3:18 am Hello, AdhiraamBose,

Your question is challenging, as the answer would be very complex. I would like to offer this small contribution from my limited personal perspective as a "Non-US" Latin American. I think what Tricia has said about the USA census is most illuminating to understand the term "Latin American" as it is used in that country. On the other hand, for us in Latin America (from the southernmost islands near Antarctica up to the south border of USA), the term "Latin American" has clear identity/geographical/political connotations: it does not refer to race. Also, I would say the term "white" is very loosely used in our countries. For example, in my country, Chile, you will find many people describing themselves as white who clearly have a combination of different genetic heritages.

Obviously, there is no "one size fits all" option. As for myself, I am a hundred percent (as far as I know :D) Caucasian: 25% Spanish and 75% Slav, descending mostly from relatively recent immigrants. If you look at me, I'm as white as they come. But I do not identify myself as "white" or "caucasian" at all: that is just a fact, not who I am as a person. I am Chilean and in the world context I think of myself as a Latin American. I see the world through my Latin American eyes, so as to say. (If I saw it through my Caucasian eyes that would be quite a different thing.). So this is more a matter or identity/ethnicity than one of just race.

All that being said, I think that if you asked the average Chilean, they would choose the "Caucasian" option for themselves, even if it does not strictly apply. Also, to sum up, I don't see Latin Americans as just a sub-group of "Caucasian". Somewhere I've seen the term "Mixed" used, and although I feel it can be quite descriptive if people are given the choice to specify, I don't honestly know whether some people can be offended.

As far as I am concerned, I celebrate all diversity as the treasure to share it is.
So you mean to say that being a Latin relates more to where one comes from rather than what his or her bloodline is.Right?

By the way,I thought you were of the Celtic Bloodline?