Let's all Boast about obscure books that we read

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I have two.

In about 2000 I went to my local library and asked "Do you have Winston Churchill's wartime memoirs?"
The librarian went upstairs to an area where the public isn't allowed, before returning with a trolley of about 6 massive books. I borrowed Triumph and Tragedy ; in the library stamp it was last borrowed 30 years before. I was the first person to borrow it since about 1970!

When I was about 10 I was an avid reader of the occult section of this library. I read a book by the late French psychologist Michael Gaquelin. He devoted his professional life to doing statistical tests on astrology. Nobody reads that. Sometimes I have seen talking head astrologers on TV and they say "Gaquelin shows that astrology works". I think "lady you haven't READ that have you!" You haven't! If you had you wouldn't be saying that. In fact he was very cautious about his conclusions.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
KalebSuedfeld

Post by KalebSuedfeld »

I wonder, because many people have heard of it, if the Marquis de Sade's "120 Days of Sodom" would be considered obscure. It is certainly legendary, though, and I read it a few years ago, because I read somewhere that it would be a challenge to read the whole thing through. I did, though, and it lives up to its notoriety.

I've also read the "Malleus Maleficarum," or "Hammer of Witches," by Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger, though this, too, is fairly notorious.