Real actual honeycomb from a beehive dipped in chocolate, history ?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

This is one of those things which due to commercial advertising of a product, gets buried and forgotten.

I am wondering and looking for mentions of actual chocolate covered honeycomb, as in chunks of bee-built honeycomb filled with bee-gathered honey dipped in melted chocolate ( after the honeycomb is cut into pieces of course ).

It is impossible to search for online because everything diverts to the commercial products and their do it yourself knock-offs.

The words used to describe a search for this are too common and vague, so it comes down to simply a brains trust sort of question.

My elderly neighbor recalls making it long ago, and she learnt from others. It's no big deal for her, but to todays generations it is unknown.

Has anyone come across references to it in books ?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

You're right, it's difficult to find references ... especially with chocolate wax depilatories, too, but there are a couple of references to chocolate-coated honeycomb in this thread in a bee-keepers' forum:
https://www.beesource.com/threads/honey-in-the-comb-by-eugene-killion.249859/#post-611924

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Interesting, I read the whole thing and it is interesting, though it's all modern, rather than historical.