Weirdest background noise

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Right now I have a storm outside. So no recording tonight. But it gets weirder. The wind has knocked over two nearby dustbins. They are rolling right now against a car. Roll, crash, bang, roll, crash, bang as the wind blows the dustbins and their lids back and forth.

I could remove with a noise profile. But it's easier to record some other time.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

lightcrystal wrote: October 28th, 2021, 5:22 am Right now I have a storm outside. So no recording tonight. But it gets weirder. The wind has knocked over two nearby dustbins. They are rolling right now against a car. Roll, crash, bang, roll, crash, bang as the wind blows the dustbins and their lids back and forth.

I could remove with a noise profile. But it's easier to record some other time.
This would be perfect background noise for a scary-storm-at-sea-story recording.
(Now say "scary-storm-at-sea-story" 5 times, fast.)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Update. The last 24 hours was some of the strongest winds that I have seen. At their strongest the wind was bending my family's garage doors inwards and almost ripping off the hinges and the doors. Needed a heavy ladder placed against the garage doors to keep them on. [p.s I didn't place the ladder there; I was assured that the ladder would not be blown away and become dangerous] Trees knocked down onto a roof. Power off for about 6 hours. Not friendly recording weather.
Last edited by lightcrystal on October 29th, 2021, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Well it would be alarmist to say that it's due to global warming or climate change when it's obviously not, storms have been around for ages. It's simply a typical symptom of covid and you should be covid aware, but not anxious.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

omg, I just listened to your test recording, and it sounds like an accent of someone who is stuck in the worst possible place, the city which takes the record for the longest time spent in lockdown, on planet earth.

I wonder if there are covid lockdowns on other planets.

Looking at the news, I understand why people always want funding for missions to go in search of intelligent life-forms.

Oh, yeah, I mean, oops, I mean on other planets. Can't figure how I forgot to add that to that sentence.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Let's not get political on here - thanks! :)

Yeah, that kind of noise is better to just re-record. The best kind for noise reduction is the steady, low kind. Varying, sudden noises don't reduce very well. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

More weird background noise! Tonight the cicadas, critters like crickets but making an electronicy noise, are singing. Evidently only guy cicadas sing. Maybe they are cicada baritones.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Last week the wind was so strong it blew all the recycle rubbish bins which were outside in the street for collection over - they banged about all night and in the morning the street was littered with paper and plastic bottles. Fortunately, there didn't seem to be much broken glass. I just thought it was thunder, smiled at the remembrance of my dog who always ran out into the middle of the back yard and barked at the thunder till it stopped- and it always did- and he then march back inside with a very self-satisfied air.

Anne
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Fortunately I have got electricity back after the enormous storms of about two weeks ago. Sadly not everyone has; the winds ripped out power poles and some people's electricity isn't back. That was at times as strong as a typhoon.
rssmith121999

Post by rssmith121999 »

I had to remove growling tummy noises from my latest submission… I was not amused.
Scott- large burly heavy equipment mechanic/truck driver, retired. New hobby as a Librivox junkie.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha ha! I got those today, too. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine