People who can not touch type

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I can not touch type. A long time ago I was in a university degree that had nothing specifically to do with touch typing. But the university made everyone in the degree pass a touch typing course. I left the course for other reasons. But if I had continued on I would have failed the touch typing and the degree. Nothing has ever helped. The home key method. Mavis Beacon. It's useless. Even worse, my typing has got worse every year. I know what all the mistakes are; I have a family member who passed a secretary course. Double chaining and the rest. I do it all. Every year I find a new way to do it. THis year I am running the caps LOCk a lot. I amalso skipping space bars.

I do not fit into the Procrustean mechanization of humans where wpm is assumed.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Welcome to the club. I know some mental arithmetic, it's like when they take away your calculator so you cannot count, and I CHEAT anyway. It's good for shopping. If I were to list the 'normal' and mundane things I can't do which everyone else can, I'd be here for hours. Everyone cool is different, otherwise everyone would be cool, but they're not, they're idiots. Michael Leunig just got the sack for being brilliant ! He'll go on being brilliant all over the place now. I wouldn't worry about it. University courses and student debt and the fast food industry jobs they inevitably lead to are all overhyped. At least if you leave Uni before you finish you're preparing to be a billionaire, if that gig takes your fancy.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

lightcrystal wrote: October 24th, 2021, 7:53 am I can not touch type. A long time ago I was in a university degree that had nothing specifically to do with touch typing. But the university made everyone in the degree pass a touch typing course. I left the course for other reasons. But if I had continued on I would have failed the touch typing and the degree. Nothing has ever helped. The home key method. Mavis Beacon. It's useless. Even worse, my typing has got worse every year. I know what all the mistakes are; I have a family member who passed a secretary course. Double chaining and the rest. I do it all. Every year I find a new way to do it. THis year I am running the caps LOCk a lot. I amalso skipping space bars.

I do not fit into the Procrustean mechanization of humans where wpm is assumed.
I learned two things in High School: Touch Typing, and not to start a fight I can't finish.
And the Yangtze is the longest river in China....Three things. It was 1977 and I am grateful to this very second.

- 22 wpm
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."