Why Do Different Countries' Currency Have Different Values?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

I searched this question on the Internet.But,Didn't find any answer.

So,can anyone here tell me what affects the value of a particular Country's Currency?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You'd probably need two or three classes on economics to really understand that. I know just enough to know that I have no idea. :mrgreen:
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

mightyfelix wrote: August 15th, 2021, 8:43 am You'd probably need two or three classes on economics to really understand that. I know just enough to know that I have no idea. :mrgreen:
:lol:
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

mightyfelix wrote: August 15th, 2021, 8:43 am You'd probably need two or three classes on economics to really understand that. I know just enough to know that I have no idea. :mrgreen:
That would be an Important Piece Of Information Though. :D
Even In our Daily Life.

This Topic and Stocks are two of the things I couldn't understand.

I wanted to do this Message Earlier but was facing some serious issue regarding Logging In to Librivox Forum.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think it is based on how much gold the country has and how much money they "print" - and also trading on money markets.
However, a site where members are prepared to donate their time to producing a free product is probably not the place to ask :D :D

Anne
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

annise wrote: August 15th, 2021, 5:06 pm I think it is based on how much gold the country has and how much money they "print" - and also trading on money markets.
However, a site where members are prepared to donate their time to producing a free product is probably not the place to ask :D :D

Anne
I thought that there will be Commerce and Economics Scholars here who would answer my Question.
And,I didn't also want to make an account on Quora. :mrgreen:
schrm

Post by schrm »

i had a childrens book which explained with the history of money.
some islands used shells, some areas in europe copper silver and gold in forms of bars, rings or wire.
the first coins were made, used within the area of a defined noble, only.
including warfare and propaganda, they could choose to accept other kingdoms coins, but with lesser prizes as given. this was used against economic warfare from the beginnings, too. when a kingdom gave lead coins to another- at the same value? like gold coins? it could ruin this other kingdom within weeks.

also, since it was forbidden to work in most conservative professions if you were a jew, the systems of debth, credits and merchandising which developed were greatly influenced by the laws against jews in certain areas. the banking/stock system was invented by italians - this i saw in a tv documentary once.
and so on, voila, politics form(ed/s) economies.
last news i read in that area was that delivering times are suffering delays - not only because of covid or the ship in the suez canal, but also because of world politics at the moment. international sanctions, differences in wealth and debts, climate crisis and first catastrophies - these will affect several stock markets and so on...
as always.

the wikipedia article differs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money#History
In Money and the Mechanism of Exchange (1875), William Stanley Jevons famously analyzed money in terms of four functions: a medium of exchange, a common measure of value (or unit of account), a standard of value (or standard of deferred payment), and a store of value. By 1919, Jevons's four functions of money were summarized in the couplet:

Money's a matter of functions four,
A Medium, a Measure, a Standard, a Store.[23]
This couplet would later become widely popular in macroeconomics textbooks.[24] Most modern textbooks now list only three functions, that of medium of exchange, unit of account, and store of value, not considering a standard of deferred payment as a distinguished function, but rather subsuming it in the others

needless to say i have not studied nor any knowledge at all in that area.
but it was a nice childrens book.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275