Tell Me Something About Your Pet(s)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
huwozir

Post by huwozir »

I have a cat who is already 11 years old and it's the best pet one can ever have. He loves me and my parents, always spends time with us and feels sad when we are absent for a long time. Recently she had a surgery and is recovering after it. I love her more than anyone else :P
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

huwozir wrote: January 14th, 2022, 7:59 am I have a cat who is already 11 years old and it's the best pet one can ever have. He loves me and my parents, always spends time with us and feels sad when we are absent for a long time. Recently she had a surgery and is recovering after it. I love her more than anyone else :P
So,do you mean that contrary to popular stigma,cats are actually loving Furr-balls and that you can actually SQUISH THAT CAT whenever you feel cuddly? :D
Gvbriel

Post by Gvbriel »

I have two dogs, a Pitbull, and a retriever.
Gvbriel

Post by Gvbriel »

rescued them even though I'm allergic to dogs, but i have no regrets
Gvbriel

Post by Gvbriel »

I also hate how people think of pit bulls as vicious animals when they are sweetest when they have a good owner. :(
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Gvbriel wrote: April 14th, 2022, 4:16 pm I also hate how people think of pit bulls as vicious animals when they are sweetest when they have a good owner. :(
Would You mind posting a Picture of Your Pittie on this thread?I just want to see how Goofy and Fun he is. :9:
CBarsema

Post by CBarsema »

We have pets at my house. Three cats and one dog. Autumn, a calico about six, is very affectionate. She will love on anyone. During lock down I taught her how to lift her paw up at the command, 'Amen.' It's pretty adorable. Smokey, a grey female tabby about five, has horrible anxiety. She will run away and hide from anyone. Next we have Abraham. A black and white stray found in a parking lot riddled with ear mites and had a few injuries. They guess he was about 8 weeks when we found him. He is now four and loves my husband. He is also very fluffy and we have to get him trimmed. Otherwise he is unable to clean himself. I call him my husbands spirit animal. He is always with him, husband is the only one who can hold him and they both have the same allergies!
Then we have a standard party poodle named Napoleon who is about 9 months. Smartest dog I have ever had! (I had dogs and cats all through my childhood). Does all sorts of commands if you forget part of his schedule he will be sure to remind you! Wakes you up at 5:30 every morning, will steel your things at 7:30 am so you will do training with him and so many other things all day long.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

CBarsema wrote: October 20th, 2022, 11:22 am We have pets at my house. Three cats and one dog. Autumn, a calico about six, is very affectionate. She will love on anyone. During lock down I taught her how to lift her paw up at the command, 'Amen.' It's pretty adorable. Smokey, a grey female tabby about five, has horrible anxiety. She will run away and hide from anyone. Next we have Abraham. A black and white stray found in a parking lot riddled with ear mites and had a few injuries. They guess he was about 8 weeks when we found him. He is now four and loves my husband. He is also very fluffy and we have to get him trimmed. Otherwise he is unable to clean himself. I call him my husbands spirit animal. He is always with him, husband is the only one who can hold him and they both have the same allergies!
Then we have a standard party poodle named Napoleon who is about 9 months. Smartest dog I have ever had! (I had dogs and cats all through my childhood). Does all sorts of commands if you forget part of his schedule he will be sure to remind you! Wakes you up at 5:30 every morning, will steel your things at 7:30 am so you will do training with him and so many other things all day long.
Wow!Seems like you have made and are still making some great memories with your Pet Family Members.All The Best to you for your future endeavours with the pets you have and the more that will be the part of your life in the future.
May I ask,what tips would you give someone from your side regarding the training of Cats and Dogs,especially the basics like 'Stay',Potty Manners,Controled Eating,etc.
CBarsema

Post by CBarsema »

AdhiraamBose wrote: November 5th, 2022, 6:12 am
CBarsema wrote: October 20th, 2022, 11:22 am We have pets at my house. Three cats and one dog. Autumn, a calico about six, is very affectionate. She will love on anyone. During lock down I taught her how to lift her paw up at the command, 'Amen.' It's pretty adorable. Smokey, a grey female tabby about five, has horrible anxiety. She will run away and hide from anyone. Next we have Abraham. A black and white stray found in a parking lot riddled with ear mites and had a few injuries. They guess he was about 8 weeks when we found him. He is now four and loves my husband. He is also very fluffy and we have to get him trimmed. Otherwise he is unable to clean himself. I call him my husbands spirit animal. He is always with him, husband is the only one who can hold him and they both have the same allergies!
Wow!Seems like you have made and are still making some great memories with your Pet Family Members.All The Best to you for your future endeavours with the pets you have and the more that will be the part of your life in the future.
May I ask,what tips would you give someone from your side regarding the training of Cats and Dogs,especially the basics like 'Stay',Potty Manners,Controled Eating,etc.
I would say the biggest thing is consistency. In that way the animal knows they can rely on you because they are getting the same outcome. Don't give in to the animal by any means. You have to always remember you are the head on the pack.

With our poodle I was able to potty train in 24 hours. Since I knew he had been in a kennel with hay I simulated the same feel by making a pile of leaves and had him go there. I would have him hit the bells I had on the doornob, and then took him out. Then pretty soon he is just hitting the bells when he wants out. ( My mom did this with our childhood dogs. When the cats saw it they also learned to ring it when they wanted out). He did have accidents because he had a small bladder and sometimes I couldnt get to the door fast enough, but he knew what to do. I never put down potty pads. I never wanted him to think he could potty inside.

Eating- We all eat at the same time. Do not give in if the animal wants more, (unless it is a puppy. They are growing rapidly may need more. Follow the dog food/vet instructions. ) You all eat at the same time that is it.

Now I did let the dog earn treats with training, but he never just got them because.

As to YouTube training tips I like Jackson Galaxy for cats and McCain Dogs for dogs

Hope that helps!
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

CBarsema wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:51 am
I would say the biggest thing is consistency. In that way the animal knows they can rely on you because they are getting the same outcome. Don't give in to the animal by any means. You have to always remember you are the head on the pack.

With our poodle I was able to potty train in 24 hours. Since I knew he had been in a kennel with hay I simulated the same feel by making a pile of leaves and had him go there. I would have him hit the bells I had on the doornob, and then took him out. Then pretty soon he is just hitting the bells when he wants out. ( My mom did this with our childhood dogs. When the cats saw it they also learned to ring it when they wanted out). He did have accidents because he had a small bladder and sometimes I couldnt get to the door fast enough, but he knew what to do. I never put down potty pads. I never wanted him to think he could potty inside.

Eating- We all eat at the same time. Do not give in if the animal wants more, (unless it is a puppy. They are growing rapidly may need more. Follow the dog food/vet instructions. ) You all eat at the same time that is it.

Now I did let the dog earn treats with training, but he never just got them because.

As to YouTube training tips I like Jackson Galaxy for cats and McCain Dogs for dogs

Hope that helps!
Thank You for all the information you gave.I almost forgot to write a Thankful reply for you.It would have been so impolite of me.

I would like to know how you taught your Poodle to ring the bell whenever he felt the need to poop.
CBarsema

Post by CBarsema »

Oh its fine lol.

Every hour I took him out to go potty. So every time I was going to let him out I took his nose or paw and hit the bell. Then I would open the door. So evertime he rang it I would let him out. Even if it was to go out to play or run. Opening the door was the reward of ringing it.
CBarsema

Post by CBarsema »

AdhiraamBose wrote: November 6th, 2022, 10:29 am

Hope that helps!
Thank You for all the information you gave.I almost forgot to write a Thankful reply for you.It would have been so impolite of me.

I would like to know how you taught your Poodle to ring the bell whenever he felt the need to poop.
its fine lol.

Every hour I took him out to go potty. So every time I was going to let him out I took his nose or paw and hit the bell. Then I would open the door. So evertime he rang it I would let him out. Even if it was to go out to play or run. Opening the door was the reward of ringing it. So every hour make him ring the bell take him to the leaves. Pretty soon he just does it. Have a accident? Make him smell it, ring the bell, go outside.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

CBarsema wrote: November 6th, 2022, 11:32 am

Hope that helps!

its fine lol.

Every hour I took him out to go potty. So every time I was going to let him out I took his nose or paw and hit the bell. Then I would open the door. So evertime he rang it I would let him out. Even if it was to go out to play or run. Opening the door was the reward of ringing it. So every hour make him ring the bell take him to the leaves. Pretty soon he just does it. Have a accident? Make him smell it, ring the bell, go outside.
And how do we forbid dogs from stepping on some places?For example,we as a Hindu family,have a Tulsi plant planted on a structure with images of Gods on it which we worship and the place it is in is lined by bricks.How do I prevent my dog from passing that brick line and,God forbid,from doing any unwanted activity like pooping or peeing around the place?

I have some more questions in my head.I hope you would be willing to answer those.
CBarsema

Post by CBarsema »

AdhiraamBose wrote: November 6th, 2022, 7:33 pm

its fine lol.

And how do we forbid dogs from stepping on some places?For example,we as a Hindu family,have a Tulsi plant planted on a structure with images of Gods on it which we worship and the place it is in is lined by bricks.How do I prevent my dog from passing that brick line and,God forbid,from doing any unwanted activity like pooping or peeing around the place?

I have some more questions in my head.I hope you would be willing to answer those.

Once your dog is potty trained he shouldn't do it in the house. He will want to go outside. If this is outside, (or inside), you will want to look up Boundary Training. As you teach your dog to go potty outside you can also teach him to go potty in a certain area by just taking him there every time you take him out. Dogs will generally not want to play were they potty. Keep in mind Boundary Training can be challenging and time consuming. I personally have only helped train it with my parents dogs when I was a living with them, (at least 15 years ago), and have not done it with my current dog. Here is an article from AKC on the subject: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/teach-dog-keep-out-boundary-training/ There are also a lot of youtude videos if you put in Dog Boundary Training that will be helpful.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

CBarsema wrote: November 7th, 2022, 12:12 am
AdhiraamBose wrote: November 6th, 2022, 7:33 pm

its fine lol.

Once your dog is potty trained he shouldn't do it in the house. He will want to go outside. If this is outside, (or inside), you will want to look up Boundary Training. As you teach your dog to go potty outside you can also teach him to go potty in a certain area by just taking him there every time you take him out. Dogs will generally not want to play were they potty. Keep in mind Boundary Training can be challenging and time consuming. I personally have only helped train it with my parents dogs when I was a living with them, (at least 15 years ago), and have not done it with my current dog. Here is an article from AKC on the subject: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/teach-dog-keep-out-boundary-training/ There are also a lot of youtude videos if you put in Dog Boundary Training that will be helpful.
Thanks a lot.Slowly by your and the internet's aid,I am getting equipped with all the knowledge needed to train a Dog.
Now all I would need is a Dog to put the knowledge to good use. 8-)