Did Every British and American Writer like British Colonialism and American Imperialism?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

I had seen that there had been writers who didn't like slavery but,I was thinking what were the views of English and American writers on British Colonialism and American Imperialism(I hope I used the proper terminology) except for Mark Tawin(Because,I read him on Wikipedia).
What Did Charles Dickens,Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell,Fergus Hume,William Wilkie Collins,Isabella Macdonald(Pansy),Grace Livingston Hill,Arthur Conan Doyle,J.S. Fletcher,Anna Katharine Green,etc. among others think about Colonialism and Imperialism?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

In every country in the world except where the Government or a state religions do not permit it there will always be writers who are for or against a government or a state religion.
And if it is not permitted writers against it will go into exile to write.

Anne
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

annise wrote: July 10th, 2021, 12:13 am In every country in the world except those where the Government or a state religions do not permit it there will always be writers who are for or against a government or a state religion.
And if it is not permitted writers against it will go into exile to write.

Anne
So You mean to say that even if writers were against it,they would not give overt refferences of it in their works in the fear of Exhilation,but also there were writers who smartly/indirectly put refferences of oppression like Hans Fallada and there were even those who wrote their feelings without any fear?

Your answer seems rational.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

In China and Russia and other places too, many writers risk their lives to write with disfavour about their oppressors * and this has happened for many past centuries. Even in so called more civilised countries it is still dangerous to rock the boat.

* Look at Hong Kong and the Chinese suppression of free speech, and in Russia as well.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

lurcherlover wrote: July 10th, 2021, 6:54 am In China and Russia and other places too, many writers risk their lives to write with disfavour about their oppressors * and this has happened for many past centuries. Even in so called more civilised countries it is still dangerous to rock the boat.

* Look at Hong Kong and the Chinese suppression of free speech, and in Russia as well.
Sir see,I feel that You might have felt that I want to offend British and American People as some of their predecessors were oppressors.If so,I honestly tell You,I mean no offence.I know there has been history of Oppression in probably every Country.

It just happens to be that being an Indian(A Former British Colony),I just wanted to know what the English-Speaking Authors of that Era thought about Colonialism.That's It.

Sorry nevertheless. :)
Last edited by AdhiraamBose on July 11th, 2021, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

No offence. Britain certainly has a lot to answer for as well. Better leave it at that.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

lurcherlover wrote: July 10th, 2021, 1:16 pm No offence. Britain certainly has a lot to answer for as well. Better leave it at that.
Sir,I only want to know names of Authors Critical of Colonialism and Imperialism.
Listen,I honestly don't mean to criticize any Race as a whole.There have been good Britishers in India as well,kind ones.

So,Do You happen to know any Author(Be him or her a Fiction Writer or Non-Fiction Writer) who (Politely) Criticized Colonialism and Imperialism?

By the way,what does 'Lurcher' in Your name mean? :)
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

AdhiraamBose wrote: July 11th, 2021, 12:51 am

By the way,what does 'Lurcher' in Your name mean? :)
"Lurcher" is a type or breed of dog. It is a sight hound and they are very good hunters. We have her as a pet and do not use or encourage her to hunt, and she is quite old now so past it anyway. She is in fact a rescue which we took on when she was 5 years old, approximately, and have had her for 8 years. We love dogs, even sometimes more than humans. They are faithful, beautiful, and keep us walking several miles a day. What could be better?