Stop Using Audacity. It will give your data to the cops.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
czandra

Post by czandra »

Aside from recording software, the availability of our recordings to all and sundry even in space, is a matter worth wringing... I mean thinking about occasionally.

I sometimes wonder whether Google et al. are dipping into our free pool to sample voices for their neural network with the aim of producing even better Siri's, vocal recognition, etc (mine's called Ruby - should I be on the bot page?). More empathic, subtly inflected, more libre!. Imagine if Siri has breath moments!

So I don't edit out all imperfections, breaths, burps (well...) in order to foil Google's attempt to produce the perfect bot. Imperfection makes me human. Thank googleness - I mean goodness.

Czandra
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
czandra

Post by czandra »

I wonder whether Google could make Esperanto that way. Remember Esperanto the hopeful? A 1900's (1887 actually) attempt at an international language that blended all of them? (Except those wiped out by etc.)

Cz
Last edited by czandra on October 17th, 2021, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czandra

Post by czandra »

I'm conversing with myself on the cops page. Perverse.

Cz

HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

For sure, I may be wrong, but I`m convinced that privacy on the Web is substantially a myth and depends only on how much any third parties (governments, reptilians, etc.) are interested in you. Therefore, IMHO, we should claim instead smth like "Stop Using Internet. It will give your data to the whole Universe" or smth alike...
I hope I didn`t harm anybody here. 🙏

https://qawerk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Privacy-cartoon.jpg
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Roger wrote: July 30th, 2021, 3:27 pm -- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Great phrase! Thank you for it! 👍
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

Well look, if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear.

Haven't you heard politicians say that ? well if they say that, shouldn't you believe them ?

What could possibly go wrong.

Oh yeah, lets not read this message any further.

Because you know who said that first ?

Here is the exact quote, and who said it, and you'll know how well that turned out.

"You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide" - Joseph Goebbels, Reich Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Handmade PSK - please avoid posting pictures on the forums, and definitely images of this size.

I have left the link - it's a great image :thumbs: - but we like to keep the forum accessible for everybody, including visually impaired people and those with a slow internet connection.

Thank you.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

GettingTooOld wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 4:30 am Well look, if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear.

Haven't you heard politicians say that ? well if they say that, shouldn't you believe them ?

What could possibly go wrong.

Oh yeah, lets not read this message any further.

Because you know who said that first ?

Here is the exact quote, and who said it, and you'll know how well that turned out.

"You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide" - Joseph Goebbels, Reich Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany
And if you read the first page of this thread, you'll see that "it will give your data to the cops" is overstated in this case. This in no way compares to Nazi Germany.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

In regards to what the data is used for, it's what all data is used for, misuse !!!!

The mention of A.I. is correct for most data, surveillance for the rest. It's not a matter of it restricts our freedom, it's a matter of that is the whole purpose of surveillance, to restrict our freedom. The government is scared of the people, only because they are not the people.

AI will make everyone unemployable. Here is a great link to a beaut video that tells you how and why and when. This is different to every other industrial revolution in history. China has been leading the way for years and these are old links. People are already being replaced for years now not just in transport.

I like their robots though.
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

• OS version
• User country based on IP address
• OS name and version
• CPU
• Non-fatal error codes and messages (i.e. project failed to open)
• Crash reports in Breakpad MiniDump format

This information has nothing to do with making better music software, that last one is a serious security breach, besides if it was legit, they'd simply ask for the data, opt-in.

Not Nazi Germany, then what is it, worse ? Are these following agencies, who get the data, are they all trying to be software writers making audacity software better ?
to any [..] law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, or (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights
Your honor I would like to ask for an adjournment in the case so I can remodel some of audacity's buttons.

If this wasn't a bunch of predators taking over your computer, it would be better, then the whole family could make nice music, including people under 13 years of age. I like things that everyone can use.

Maybe it's to protect the children from using quality audio software. Think of the children !!
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Availle wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 4:42 am Thank you.
All right. Thank you too, Ava! 🌺
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I admit I haven't been following this topic closely after the initial news, but it's worth mentioning that Audacity's owners published an "Update to Our Privacy Policy & Apology" back in July:

https://github.com/audacity/audacity/discussions/1353

Michael