Was Fergus Hume A Protestant Or A Catholic?(Any kind of offence not intended for any Religious Group)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

I just wanted to know(Since It Is Not Mentioned On His Wikipedia Page) whether Fergus Hume(The Mystery Of A Hansom Cab) was a Catholic Or A Protestant?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Why do you care? What does it matter ? Maybe he was an Atheist. Or an alien from outer space?

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I think it can sometimes be relevant when reading an author's works to know a little about their standing on such matters. I'm afraid I can't tell you, though. I don't know the first thing about Fergus Hume. I wonder if there is a website or organization dedicated to just his works? If so, that would be the place to go to learn what you're trying to find.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

He wrote mainly mysteries so unless they all were involved in killing priests or pastors or ministers or rabbis because of their evil or good deeds it is irrelevant. He is not preaching a way of life. :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The bios I found said he was quite religious. Some talked about him living on the property of a Rev. Somebody, and was buried next to a Rev. Somebodyelse. If that's of any relevance, I'd guess he was Church of England.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

annise wrote: June 27th, 2021, 1:00 pm Why do you care? What does it matter ? Maybe he was an Atheist. Or an alien from outer space?

Anne
To understand what to expect from his Writings.
That man is mentioned to be deeply Religious,but nothing is mentioned of the type of his Faith anywhere.
Knowing that will help me get in the Mind of that Person and pre-assume,what influence he will have on me by his writings.
Though there is mention that he lived with a Reverend.And the word 'Reverend' when I searched for it showed to be a Protestant Term.But,I was not sure if Catholics also use it as there are many Twists And Turns in the History Of Cristianity.

Thanks,
Adhiraam
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Catholics in England have a history as a persecuted minority, which would still be fresh in memory during that era. When a devout 19th century English writer publicly identified as Catholic, that will generally be a prominent aspect of their biography. On Wikipedia, this will get them an entry on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_Roman_Catholic_writers

Michael
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Kazbek wrote: June 27th, 2021, 9:19 pm Catholics in England have a history as a persecuted minority, which would still be fresh in memory during that era. When a devout 19th century English writer publicly identified as Catholic, that will generally be a prominent aspect of their biography. On Wikipedia, this will get them an entry on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_Roman_Catholic_writers

Michael
Do You mean to say that a Writer Being A Catholic was a rarity in that era and thus,when a writer proclaims himself/herself to be a Catholic,it would form an important part of his Biography?

[I asked this because on Wikipedia,Catholicism is mentioned to be the most widely followed Religion in this world with over almost 1.2 Billion Followers as of 2019]
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Being Catholic played a different role in the life and work of individual English writers, but it often played some prominent role.

Michael
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

In England, Catholics were heavily persecuted into the 18th century and there was still a lot of legal discrimination against them well into the nineteenth century, aside from societal prejudices, which were even stronger. However, by the second part of the nineteenth/early 20th century there was a sort of intellectual rebellion against looking down on Catholicism, and some prominent thinkers and writers converted or began to openly practice and write about Catholicism. For example, John Newman, Evelyn Waugh, G.K. Chesterton, Hilaire Belloc, and the poet John Gray. Others were well versed in Catholic thought and flirted with conversion, like Oscar Wilde and Matthew Arnold. This is usually specified and discussed in their biographies.

"Dissenting" Protestants (Methodists, Baptists etc.--Christian but not Anglican) don't seem to have played as big a role in mainstream popular culture/literature. They tended to be more prominent as nonfiction/sermon writers and in general those faiths tended to appeal more to the working and lower middle classes who were less often cultural icons/drivers.

So if someone who was prominent in literature/culture in the late 19th/Early 20th century in Britain and they were described as very religious with no other specificity, it's safe to assume that they were Church of England or Anglican. The fact that he lived for a number of years with an Anglican minister seems to reinforce that hypothesis.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

Where is his (her?) tomb? At a public pit?
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

According to Wikipedia, an unmarked grave but next to a reverend, so presumably in a churchyard?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

This says he (she?) was a deist euphemistically?
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
schrm

Post by schrm »

Made the cover for this bio.
https://librivox.org/blessed-edmund-campion-by-louise-imogen-guiney
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Campion

He is a martyr because they tortured and killed him several methods, all of which are depicted in the picture.
/end of not so totally off-topic
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

ColleenMc wrote: June 28th, 2021, 10:03 am In England, Catholics were heavily persecuted into the 18th century and there was still a lot of legal discrimination against them well into the nineteenth century, aside from societal prejudices, which were even stronger. However, by the second part of the nineteenth/early 20th century there was a sort of intellectual rebellion against looking down on Catholicism, and some prominent thinkers and writers converted or began to openly practice and write about Catholicism. For example, John Newman, Evelyn Waugh, G.K. Chesterton, Hilaire Belloc, and the poet John Gray. Others were well versed in Catholic thought and flirted with conversion, like Oscar Wilde and Matthew Arnold. This is usually specified and discussed in their biographies.

"Dissenting" Protestants (Methodists, Baptists etc.--Christian but not Anglican) don't seem to have played as big a role in mainstream popular culture/literature. They tended to be more prominent as nonfiction/sermon writers and in general those faiths tended to appeal more to the working and lower middle classes who were less often cultural icons/drivers.

So if someone who was prominent in literature/culture in the late 19th/Early 20th century in Britain and they were described as very religious with no other specificity, it's safe to assume that they were Church of England or Anglican. The fact that he lived for a number of years with an Anglican minister seems to reinforce that hypothesis.

Colleen
Coleen,
Thank You for Your Answers. :D
I only want to ask two questions to You.
1)What does the phrase 'Flirted With Conversion' mean?English is My third Language so I don't understand it.

2)Is 'Reverend' completely an Protestant Terminology?I mean to say,didn't/don't any Catholic use it?

I am happy we all could learn something about our history by this discussion.