Question for Twitter Users

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A Twitter scheduling utility "oh crap":
Heads up! Free plan is changing
Hi LibriVox,
The Hootsuite Free plan is changing on April 5th.
What’s changing? Learn more.

You can have up to 2 social accounts
You can schedule up to 5 posts

We'd like to thank you for choosing Hootsuite, so we're giving you a free 60-day trial of our Professional plan (that's 30 extra days for free!).
Right now I'm using Hootsuite (free plan) and can schedule up to 30 posts. Sometimes I have 10-15 "on this day" tweets, plus the new releases. Since I try to schedule them 2 days ahead (today I schedule the tweets for April 3), I've been hitting that 30-tweet limit almost every day. I can't imagine only being able to schedule 5 tweets ahead of time!

I know there are other free scheduling utilities out there. Any suggestions on one I could switch to?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm using tweetdeck for my scheduling needs. Apparently it's part of twitter itself? So far it's been free, easy to use, and I see no limits on how many tweets you can schedule per day or at all.

It also has the bonus that you can add other people's accounts so they can tweet from yours without giving out the password. Suits me just fine. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, that might be easy enough. :) Thanks!

I think when I first started, I used Tweetdeck. I can't remember why I switched.

Out of curiosity: can you revoke others' permissions to tweet from your account?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah, now I remember why I didn't like Tweetdeck. :lol:

It doesn't preserve my previous schedule time, so I have to change the entire time every.single.time. (It suggests 7:06 pm, but I'm scheduling at, say, 30 minute intervals beginning at 6:10 am. So I have to change it to 6:10, change it from PM to AM, schedule the tweet... then on the next one, I have to REMEMBER what time I want. And instead of just changing it from 6:10 to 6:40, I have to change the hours, minutes, and am/pm all over again. If it preserved my previous schedule time, it would be more efficient.)

That, and I have to zoom out to be able to choose a calendar day because they have one of those rotten, disappearing, "activate it only if you point at the exact right spot on the screen" scrollbars that have gotten so irritatingly popular. :?

BUT if it lets me schedule unlimited tweets, I'll get used to it! And I did figure out that I can drag and drop images rather than having to navigate and choose a file through the regular file upload navigation.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I see how the scheduling can get a bit tiresome if you do many tweets. I found it a bit annoying that once a tweet is scheduled, and afterwards I'd like to add an image, say, I can't change the tweet anymore, I have to start from scratch (unless you know how to do that?)

Since I don't have anybody tweeting for me, I am not sure, but I would guess that if you can give permission, you can take it away as well. :wink:
(Edit: Yes, it's under Manage Team - Remove from Team, so you have full control over your own account, as you should have.)

I don't have issues with the scrolling of the calendar though. I'm on FF 86.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I did end up with little pencil icons on my scheduled tweets, so I could edit it after scheduling (and perhaps add an image? I didn't try that specific task).
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have never seen the pencil before, so I tried it.
It works for text-only tweets. And it stays there. And you can change the tweet as often as you like and reschedule and add an image.

But once you add an image, the pencil is gone for good. (That's why I never noticed it - I always have an image from the start).

Interesting.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com