Slips of the tongue

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

As pretty much a newcomer to Librivox, I'm not sure if this has been raised here before, but I imagine over the years readers have caught themselves making some pretty funny slips of the tongue that (presumably for the public good) had to be edited out of their readings. Might be amusing to keep a collection of these as they arise.

Not exactly bring-the-house-down funny, perhaps, but I did just catch myself reading "Then she began to grow gay" as "Then she began to go gray"...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Some of those are in the two Bloopers threads. Many of the bloopers aren't misspeaks, but environmental interruptions - but there are some there!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
schrm

Post by schrm »

TheBanjo wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:28 am As pretty much a newcomer to Librivox, I'm not sure if this has been raised here before, but I imagine over the years readers have caught themselves making some pretty funny slips of the tongue that (presumably for the public good) had to be edited out of their readings. Might be amusing to keep a collection of these as they arise.

Not exactly bring-the-house-down funny, perhaps, but I did just catch myself reading "Then she began to grow gay" as "Then she began to go gray"...
we had a podcast to this topic:
Culture, Bloopers and Prooflistening 107 https://ia800301.us.archive.org/17/items/librivox_community_2009/librivox_community_podcast_107.mp3
or indirectly: 148 A Salute to Proof-Listening https://ia600702.us.archive.org/12/items/librivox_community_2013/librivox_community_podcast_148_128kb.mp3
general list of podcasts: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Librivox_Community_Podcast

and we have a forum thread for bloopers - which was deemed that important, that it has an own upload folder:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28787
(please note the first posting)

...which brings me to...
a wiki page, which has some obsolete links.
thank you, will try to post that in the correct section

edit: tricia was faster :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
DavidYoung

Post by DavidYoung »

If you have a series of words that start with the same letter, or have two consonants that swap in close succession, this happens a lot.

I imagine that if I were doing this using analogue technology, I would have used up a bottle or two of splicing cement.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

pheasant pluckers

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I don't understand, can you spell it out ...?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Old tongue twister: I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son and I'll go on plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucking's done.

Too easy to switch similar sounds and get an unintended meaning.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Old tongue twister: I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son and I'll go on plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucking's done.

Too easy to switch similar sounds and get an unintended meaning. Designed to lubricate the tongue.

Peter
rschmfem

Post by rschmfem »

Peter Why wrote: April 25th, 2021, 11:43 am ... till the pheasant plucking's done.
... and get an unintended meaning.
Absolutely! :)
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Roseanne Schmidt AKA rschmfem @ ╞ myLVZazl-TsTwitter ╪ BookRvws 1,2 ╪ ♣blog♣ ╪ dA
♫ As of July 11,2021, ... Apologies for hiatus'ing from LV since 3/2015 forgive me, again... :mrgreen: :oops: :shock:
czandra

Post by czandra »

I got one one day, reading "the foundational fact of art". It came out the foundational fart. I laughed so hard I left it in for the PL (with a note, of course), and she laughed too. Love bloopers. We could have an audio book full of them.

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said,
"no one would come here if they weren't allowed to talk out loud."
So I read out loud.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

czandra wrote: October 17th, 2021, 1:12 pm I got one one day, reading "the foundational fact of art". It came out the foundational fart. I laughed so hard I left it in for the PL (with a note, of course), and she laughed too. Love bloopers. We could have an audio book full of them.

Cz
James Joyce would have loved that one. Dean Swift, too.