This week's scientific quiz

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Generoushorse wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:47 am
KevinS wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:09 am
Generoushorse wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:43 am 1. How many items of bound reading material do you have on your nightstand or otherwise within reach when lying in bed?
None that I can reach from lying down, but I have a bookshelf right next to my bed.

2. How many cats do you feed each day?
No cats, does a dog count?

3. How many handwritten letters have you written and mailed this month?
None.
Dogs that can meow might count. We would need to hear a recording though (in the interest of science.)
Well, my dog is a scardy cat--scared of everything--even the tiny chicks we brought home last month. She loves chasing lasers, is an extremely picky eater, and hmm...what else do cats do that I've caught her doing? I'm not around cats enough...
I think we'll just go with 'zero' for Question No. 2. (Haha!)
Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

I guess a proper answer for me then would be
Zero
Zero
Zero.
Roxy
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Generoushorse wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:47 am I'm not around cats enough...
Sounds like you need to adopt a cat.
schrm

Post by schrm »

uh no, a fearful dog needs love and cuddling
(and purring, but even that could be misunderstood as snarling :D )
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
wib66

Post by wib66 »

My answer is

two
three
none
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

1. How many items of bound reading material do you have on your nightstand or otherwise within reach when lying in bed? None. Unless you count my phone where I doom scroll headlines before I go to sleep :wink:

2. How many cats do you feed each day? None but we watch a lovely colony cat make its daily rounds through our back yard. It's a great little mouse catcher :D

3. How many handwritten letters have you written and mailed this month? (Please include in your total greeting cards that include more than three sentences.) I sent my daughter her wedding gift with a handwritten, pen on actual paper to tell her that mothers only want their children to love well and be well loved. She's marrying this month and we can't be there in person. But we are okay with it. This is their day, about them and custom shouldn't stand in their way. There'll be a big reception somewhere down the line and we will all celebrate together then.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

DOLZ wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:35 am 3. How many handwritten letters have you written and mailed this month? (Please include in your total greeting cards that include more than three sentences.) I sent my daughter her wedding gift with a handwritten, pen on actual paper to tell her that mothers only want their children to love well and be well loved. She's marrying this month and we can't be there in person. But we are okay with it. This is their day, about them and custom shouldn't stand in their way. There'll be a big reception somewhere down the line and we will all celebrate together then.
As an imitation scientist, I should be objective, but this entry made my heart melt a little bit. I wish your daughter the warmest best wishes!
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

KevinS wrote: April 5th, 2021, 7:11 am
DOLZ wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:35 am 3. How many handwritten letters have you written and mailed this month? (Please include in your total greeting cards that include more than three sentences.) I sent my daughter her wedding gift with a handwritten, pen on actual paper to tell her that mothers only want their children to love well and be well loved. She's marrying this month and we can't be there in person. But we are okay with it. This is their day, about them and custom shouldn't stand in their way. There'll be a big reception somewhere down the line and we will all celebrate together then.
As an imitation scientist, I should be objective, but this entry made my heart melt a little bit. I wish your daughter the warmest best wishes!
awwww.... :D. Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

KevinS wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:56 am 1. How many items of bound reading material do you have on your nightstand or otherwise within reach when lying in bed?

2. How many cats do you feed each day?

3. How many handwritten letters have you written and mailed this month? (Please include in your total greeting cards that include more than three sentences.)

Your data will not be shared with any government agency, bookseller, animal shelter, or stationary store.
1. About 100. Doesn't everyone have bookshelves right next to the bed for that very purpose?

2. Zero

3. Zero
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Our next scientific quiz (or poll) may involve the greatest number of books that can be safely stacked one on top of the other.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

KevinS wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:04 am Our next scientific quiz (or poll) may involve the greatest number of books that can be safely stacked one on top of the other.
I think careful definition of terms might be important for this poll. Does "safely" mean that the stack will not collapse, or only that it is short or lightweight enough so that it will not cause concussion if it topples?
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JoannaHoyt wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:12 am
KevinS wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:04 am Our next scientific quiz (or poll) may involve the greatest number of books that can be safely stacked one on top of the other.
I think careful definition of terms might be important for this poll. Does "safely" mean that the stack will not collapse, or only that it is short or lightweight enough so that it will not cause concussion if it topples?
You are obviously better equipped for scientific inquiry than am I.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

You mean something like this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgjrit4yjpigg1t/Capture.JPG?dl=0
(Those leaning stacks have been leaning at roughly that same angle for months, and have not collapsed yet!)
schrm

Post by schrm »

oh wow
yes, in case i may answer that question for me..
i love this thread!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

commonsparrow3 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:50 am
You mean something like this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgjrit4yjpigg1t/Capture.JPG?dl=0
(Those leaning stacks have been leaning at roughly that same angle for months, and have not collapsed yet!)
Haha! When is the book sale?