What commercial audiobook are you listening to?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

I just checked with out three popular audiobooks from the library and I’m looking forward to learning from them, both in content and recording technique/style.
  • “Make your bed” - Admiral McRaven
  • “When breath becomes air” - Paul Kalanithi (read by Sunil Malhotra + Cassandra Campbell)
  • “David and Goliath” - Malcolm Gladwell
What commercial recordings have you listened to recently and what have you learned from them?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Wait... are you saying some people get paid for doing this? :shock:

Michael
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

Kazbek wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:54 pm Wait... are you saying some people get paid for doing this? :shock:

Michael
Nah, but they got great “exposure”. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The only time I listen to commercial audiobooks is if that's the only format my library carries it in. :hmm: Otherwise, it's all LV for listening, and dead tree books for (almost) everything else.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

If stuff on Audible counts, I love Jim Dale’s reading of the Harry Potter series (he’s my favorite reader ever!!)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I think that introductory music adds a certain something. I know it's not much, but it seems to set the tone or prepare the mind for each new chapter.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I am listening to a book about acting exercises from a late well-known theater practitioner, performed by a beloved award winning narrator, and produced by a renowned firm.

In one chapter in the middle of the book, the narrator stops mid-sentence, clears the throat, makes some mouth clearing noises, sniffs, then begins the sentence anew with a slightly different take.

I was on the verge of falling asleep when this occurred. My eyes went wide in a cartoon-ish fashion.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

realisticspeakers wrote: February 21st, 2021, 10:31 pm In one chapter in the middle of the book, the narrator stops mid-sentence, clears the throat, makes some mouth clearing noises, sniffs, then begins the sentence anew with a slightly different take.
Stanislavski Moment?
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
realisticspeakers

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 21st, 2021, 11:06 pm
realisticspeakers wrote: February 21st, 2021, 10:31 pm In one chapter in the middle of the book, the narrator stops mid-sentence, clears the throat, makes some mouth clearing noises, sniffs, then begins the sentence anew with a slightly different take.
Stanislavski Moment?
The Uta Hagen Days
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

realisticspeakers wrote: February 21st, 2021, 10:31 pm I am listening to a book about acting exercises from a late well-known theater practitioner, performed by a beloved award winning narrator, and produced by a renowned firm.

In one chapter in the middle of the book, the narrator stops mid-sentence, clears the throat, makes some mouth clearing noises, sniffs, then begins the sentence anew with a slightly different take.

I was on the verge of falling asleep when this occurred. My eyes went wide in a cartoon-ish fashion.
:lol: :lol:

Every newbie needs to see this post! It happens to everybody! :D
schrm

Post by schrm »

the one commercial audiobook which brought meto librivox was quality land - a german satire about amazon.
the black version seems to be more cynically?
he got translated into english, but in dead tree books (good to know the english phrase for that, thx devorah!)

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

I discovered my wife's Word of Promise New King James Version CD set, which is a dramatic reading of the Bible. So, naturally, I dusted off my old optical drive, temporarily installed it on my workstation, and spent the day ripping the CDs into WAV files for study. The set also comes with a DVD showing interviews with the actors and the production process, which I'm currently watching. It's educational and inspiring me to try to become an excellent audiobook narrator.

I just searched and found that I could also listen to the recordings on their website, via their “Web Bible” feature.
realisticspeakers

JordanN wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 5:40 pm I discovered my wife's Word of Promise New King James Version CD set, which is a dramatic reading of the Bible. So, naturally, I dusted off my old optical drive, temporarily installed it on my workstation, and spent the day ripping the CDs into WAV files for study. The set also comes with a DVD showing interviews with the actors and the production process, which I'm currently watching. It's educational and inspiring me to try to become an excellent audiobook narrator.

I just searched and found that I could also listen to the recordings on their website, via their “Web Bible” feature.
Is that the one where Cuba Gooding Jr. reprises his role taking a ride under the sea?
Disclaimer:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

schrm wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:57 am he got translated into english, but in dead tree books (good to know the english phrase for that, thx devorah!)
:lol: I don't think I'm the one you picked up this phrase from, but you're welcome! In fact, I don't think I've ever used it, and I've certainly never heard it except in some humorous context, fyi. :wink:
schrm

Post by schrm »

mightyfelix wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 9:12 pm
schrm wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:57 am he got translated into english, but in dead tree books (good to know the english phrase for that, thx devorah!)
:lol: I don't think I'm the one you picked up this phrase from, but you're welcome! In fact, I don't think I've ever used it, and I've certainly never heard it except in some humorous context, fyi. :wink:
uhm...
:lol: 8-)
i was reading it...
mightyfelix wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:01 pm The only time I listen to commercial audiobooks is if that's the only format my library carries it in. :hmm: Otherwise, it's all LV for listening, and dead tree books for (almost) everything else.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275