Controversy: Footnote versus Endnote

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

When including footnotes and endnotes in your recordings, is it of vital importance that one identify them as such? That is to say, footnotes vs. endnotes.

I know how emotional a topic this is and how heated this discussion may become, so I ask that everyone act like ladies and gentlemen.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I come timidly into the discussion, hoping not to get pounced on by those with strong wills and opinions. :help: Good thing we have the "be nice" rule!

I don't think it matters. It's extra-textual notes either way, and whether the editor or printer or whoever makes the decision puts them at the end of the chapter/text or in the footer doesn't really matter to the listener.

And I think Gutenberg sticks 'em all at the end regardless of their placement in the footer in an original text. :idea:

And saying "extra-textual note" rather than "footnote" or "endnote" is too much of a tongue-twister, so we can't be overly pedantic. :P
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

TriciaG wrote: February 4th, 2021, 12:13 pm And I think Gutenberg sticks 'em all at the end regardless of their placement in the footer in an original text. :idea:
Actually, regarding Project Gutenberg, the real answer is "sometimes" and PG doesn't determine the placement, the submitter of the ebook to PG does. :)

Generally, endnotes in a book are placed as endnotes in the ebook. Footnotes however, can generally be placed in the ebook either (1) just after the paragraph with the footnote indicator, (2) at the end of the chapter, or (3) at the end of the ebook. It is really the option of the producer of the ebook for PG, where they are placed.

But, of course, none of this answers the question postulated in the first post. :D

Don (who also produces ebooks for PG)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Next week we discuss marginalia!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wash out your mouth with soap! :shock:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: February 4th, 2021, 1:37 pm Wash out your mouth with soap! :shock:
Haha!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Have I missed something? Why is it controversial? We have never stopped people reading them if they wanted to. But they often don't make much sense in an audiobook.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

He's just being humorously overdramatic. 8-)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ha Ha
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: February 4th, 2021, 3:07 pm He's just being humorously overdramatic. 8-)
I've never been humorous in my life.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:17 pm
TriciaG wrote: February 4th, 2021, 3:07 pm He's just being humorously overdramatic. 8-)
Or dramatic.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:45 pm
Or dramatic.
Haha!
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

mightyfelix wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Or dramatic.

Well, to be completely pedantic and bereft of the humorous dramatic, the Chicago Manual of Style (15th Edition), of which I own a worn copy, states that some works require both footnotes AND endnotes.
The footnotes are usually referenced by asterisks, daggers, "and so on" and the endnotes are referenced by numbers.
Oh gosh did I just kill another thread? :oops:
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Chicago? Home of the world famous Chicago dog*. That alone¹ is what marks Chicago as good and reliable (if one is hungry.)

*It's secret is the use of celery salt. (Skip the sport peppers. Ed.)

¹And Sandburg, some would argue.