One Book a Week Club 2021

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here are the books I've read in May. I actually started the library audio download of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" in March. I didn't get it finished because of other commitments, but assumed that it would be available fairly soon. Not so. The waiting list was long and the book wasn't available to me until Mid May.

"The Mapping of Love and Death" by Jacqueline Winspear. Book from Laman library’s free bag of suspense and mystery books. Fair. One of the series of books featuring the character Maisie Dobbs. Nicely put together, but not especially appealing to me.

"Two Years in Oregon" by Wallis Nash LibriVox Recording. Interesting book. Written in the 1880s about the state of Oregon. One of the books in my “50 States 50 Stories” list. Personally interesting to me as an ancestor moved from the midwest to The Dalles, Oregon in the 1800s.

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. Library audio book download. Excellent book. 20th century classic. The third time I’ve read this book – the first time I've listened to it in audio format. Excellent reading by actress Kate Burton
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

My June list:

42 Sherlock Holmes, the hidden years - Ed. Michael Kurland. A collection of short stories by different authors about what Sherlock Holmes did in the years between his supposed death at the Reichenbach Falls and his reappearance. Some very good, a few (in my opinion) clumsy and tedious, especially when the authors seemed to be attempting a pastiche of some other author's style. (++/++++)
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

It’s so nice to see your latest posting, Peter. This must be the loneliest forum in LibriVox. :D

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks; it's why I post monthly. I like to see other reader's choices, and I like to think that mine are interesting, too.
Peter
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here's my posting of books that I read in June. Is it going to be just me and Peter Why again???

"The Water is Wide" by Pat Conroy. Kindle library book. Very good memoir of Pat Conroy’s year of teaching black children in early 1970’s on a South Carolina island.

"The Devil’s Disciple" by George Bernard Shaw. eBook. Shaw’s play written in the late 1890s, taking place in New Hampshire during the American Revolution (making it one of my “50 States, 50 Stories” readings.) Entertaining, very good.

"Sleeping Murder" by Agatha Christie. BBC Radio Drama. Published posthumously. Entertaining Miss Marple Mystery. Very nicely done.

"The Death of Napoleon" by Simon Leys, Author, Patricia Marie Clancy, Translator. Book from library sale. Short, well done book, I liked it a lot.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MaryinArkansas wrote: July 6th, 2021, 6:49 pm Here's my posting of books that I read in June. Is it going to be just me and Peter Why again???
I have been keeping up with my list by editing the post I have on the first page of this thread. If it would make you feel better, I can post when I update it. Keeping it all in one post is helpful for me.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

mightyfelix wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:52 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: July 6th, 2021, 6:49 pm Here's my posting of books that I read in June. Is it going to be just me and Peter Why again???
I have been keeping up with my list by editing the post I have on the first page of this thread. If it would make you feel better, I can post when I update it. Keeping it all in one post is helpful for me.
A post update would be nice. Thanks!

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I’ve been updating by editing my post as well. I didn’t have much of anything to report for April and May but June was a busy reading month!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I haven’t posted anything here in a while, so:
June was busy. I wrote more than I read (finished the first draft of a murder mystery and am working on a second book) but I did read books 1-8 of the Keeper of the Lost Cities books (a nice accomplishment considering that each book averages around 800 pages.) I’m also reading drafts of some of the books my friends are writing, and I re-read several Harry Potter books.

(That was a lot of the word “books” :lol: )
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

My July list (I've not included a couple of books re-read for the fourth or fifth time):
43 Mudlarking - lost and found on the River Thames; by Lara Maiklem. Engrossing look at the addictive nature of poking around in the muddy shoreline of the Thames for the love of discovery and of history. I gave the book to a friend, borrowed so I could read it, and will be buying my own copy. (++++)
44 The Magistrates of Hell; by Barbara Hambly. A re-read. Another in the series about James and Lydia Asher and their entanglement in the life (ha! ... unlife?) of the oldest vampire in London, Don Simon Ydidro. Wonderful story of love and fear and the world beneath the one that we think is the only one. (+++++)
45 Darkness on his bones; by Barbara Hambly. A re-read. The next in the Asher/Don Simon stories. Trapped in Paris as the German army approaches, James spends most of the novel in a delirium, which, for me, distracts, rather than enhancing, the story. After experiencing the start of war, Lydia decides to come back to help with medical care after she gets James to safety. (++++)
Peter
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I had a lot going on in July, so I didn't have a lot of time to just sit down and read. I depended on BBC Radio for a lot of my entertainment.
I know...they aren't officially books, but gave me the relaxation and entertainment that I needed.

"The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" by Agatha Christie. BBC Radio Drama. Excellent reading by Hugh Fraser, who played Hastings in the Peroit TV series. Very entertaining Christie mystery.

"The Homesteader" by Oscar Micheaux. Ebook. Good autobiographical novel about a black man who homesteaded in South Dakota. Micheaux later became known as a movie producer and director of black films. Very interesting man.

"Inspector Steine - Series One" by Lynne Truss. BBC Radio. Ha Ha. These are fun and funny. Just what I needed.

"Inspector Steine - Series Two" by Lynne Truss. BBC Radio. Fun programs.

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

:shock: OMG...Is it AUGUST already? :oops: One of my resolutions for this year was to post here...

I'll have to do something about it. Sorry, will be back asap. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Dulcamara on August 16th, 2021, 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've been flying through books this summer, for some reason. During June and July, I read almost as many books as I did during January through May. Most of them have been audiobooks, as I've been finding plenty of time to listen. But I've also been making more time to sit down with a book and read, which is nice.

viewtopic.php?p=1830468#p1830468
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

My August list:

46 The Classic Tradition of Haiku, an Anthology; Editor Faubion Bowers. A short book (78 pages) of translations of haiku, in approximately chronological sequence, made by different translators. Interesting, especially when more than one translation of the same haiku are given. (++)
47 Pale Guardians; by Barbara Hambly. A re-read. Another in the James and Lydia Asher, with Don Simon (the vampire). Lydia is working behind the lines of the first world war, in France; James starts off in England. They are trying to find out about "The Others", a corrupted form of vampire, that even the vampires themselves fear. (++++)
48 Prisoner of Midnight; by Barbara Hambly. And another. Lydia and James have heard Don Simon in their dreams. Lydia boards a liner bound for America, upon which she believes that Don Simon is being tortured; James, still in France, desperately searches for infomation about Don Simon's possible captors. (++++)
49 London Bridge is Falling Down; by Christopher Fowler. The new Bryant and May detective novel. One of their cases from (I think) the seventies. To stave off the closure of the PCU, the team investigate the death by starvation and dehydration of an old lady, and find themselves involved in a series of murders of ex-BCHQ-workers and Bryant's infomers. Deeply involving; I stayed up until 2am to finish it ... and will have to re-read it to find out what I missed. (++++)

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on August 22nd, 2021, 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Dulcamara wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:38 am :shock: OMG...Is it AUGUST already? :oops: One of my resolutions for this year was to post here...

I'll have to do something about it. Sorry, will be back asap. :mrgreen:

Update 15th August

Books I've read this year:

Roger Ebert's Great Movies II, III, and IV I don't really know much about the technical aspects of films. These books have taught me a great deal about how to approach a movie. Ebert's books are informative, knowledgeable as well as insightful, and a real pleasure to read.

Novels by Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus)
Resurrection Men
Set in Darkness
The Impossible Dead
Also, The Complete Short Stories
(They have provided delightful escapism into mysterious Edimburgh. Most welcome in this year of isolation.)

From the Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child:
One Shot
Bad Luck and Trouble
The Affair
Personal
The Midnight Line
Night School
Gone Tomorrow
61 Hours
(More shameless escapism while happily following this Equalizer-type hero through his highly improbable adventures. I'm a great fan.)

Thirty-two Words for Field, by Manchan Magan. A truly beautiful book about how the old Irish language embodies a unique vision of the world. It's delightfully written, and I could not put it down. As someone who enjoys learning words in other languages I absolutely loved it.

Tradiciones Peruanas (Librivox audiobook) This is a special take on Peruvian legends dating from colonial times. The author combines history and fiction succeeding in recreating the period in engaging episodes.

Come Walk With Me, by Claire Saalbach. Poetry written by a retired American teacher in her Irish cottage by the Atlantic sea.

I will add more titles to this list asap.

Currently reading: Plato's Republic and yet another Rankin book, one of the Jack Harvey series: Witch Hunt, featuring a mysterious, top-notch female assassin.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.