Christmas gifts

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 19th, 2020, 3:56 pm

I think I'm getting a microphone for Christmas, and I'm a little worried. :?

My husband started asking me all these questions about my microphone the other day. How long have I had it? (4 years) How long did the previous one last before it died? (3 months) Isn't this the second one I bought of the same model? (no) Etc.

Then he told me he's figured out what I'm getting for Christmas. But he doesn't know if I'll like it. :|

:help:

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 19th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Ha ha!

How honest can you be with him? :wink: If you DON'T like it, would he be offended?

(This is coming from someone who doesn't exchange Christmas or birthday gifts with her husband.) :lol:
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories
Gospel of Matthew: Matthew, YLT

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 3:56 pm

My husband started asking me all these questions about my microphone the other day. How long have I had it? (4 years) How long did the previous one last before it died? (3 months) Isn't this the second one I bought of the same model? (no) Etc.

Then he told me he's figured out what I'm getting for Christmas. But he doesn't know if I'll like it. :|

Clever subterfuge, I think. You're getting a QuickPot.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 19th, 2020, 6:42 pm

No, he won't be offended. He's been brutally honest with me on most of the gifts I've given him since I've known him, telling me not only that he doesn't like it, but also, the exact reasons why. :roll: :lol:

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 19th, 2020, 6:44 pm

KevinS wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm
Clever subterfuge, I think. You're getting a QuickPot.
Honestly, it would be just like him to try a trick like that. But I don't think he's ever been able to pull off something like that successfully. :lol:

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 19th, 2020, 7:13 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 6:42 pm
No, he won't be offended. He's been brutally honest with me on most of the gifts I've given him since I've known him, telling me not only that he doesn't like it, but also, the exact reasons why. :roll: :lol:
That's one of the things I don't understand about Christmas. Why does the gift have to be a "surprise"? I mean, among adults, it's pretty clear where the presents come from anyway, so... :?:

Just tell your partner what you want - if you like to be surprised, then give him/her a few options, with exact specifications. Neither of you have to scramble for ideas and the whole dance around "well, thanks, yeah, but honestly..." isn't necessary either. :roll:

It was so much easier when I was a kid. I was writing a "letter" to the Christkind, and some of the stuff I got and some of it I didn't. Fair enough.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » December 19th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Whether it be the Christmas Babushka or the New Year's Snegurochka, I've always thought that Russian holiday-season figures' background stories seem to be inherently sad, though in a beautiful sort of way.

Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
APOD

Victor J Daley George Essex Evans Roderic Quinn Mary Hannay Foott Marie E. J. Pitt James Hebblethwaite Shaw Neilson

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » December 20th, 2020, 3:03 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 8:38 pm
Whether it be the Christmas Babushka or the New Year's Snegurochka, I've always thought that Russian holiday-season figures' background stories seem to be inherently sad, though in a beautiful sort of way.

Chris
Hi) What is Christmas Babushka?)

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » December 20th, 2020, 3:17 am

HannaPonomarenko wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 3:03 am
SonOfTheExiles wrote:

Chris
Ahh, perhaps this is another one of those cases where the West creates a supposed tradition that no one in the home country in question has ever heard of? I wonder. Wouldn't be the first time, would it?

The story I heard as a young person was of an elderly peasant woman visited by the three Wise Men on their way to see the Christ Child. They offer to take her with them, but she declines, only to later change her mind, take a bag full of toys for the Child and start out on her own. The story says that she has been wandering the world ever since in this quest, leaving toys from her bag for the world's children each year at Christmas time.

Next you'll be telling me that all the Radio Yerevan jokes are an American invention. :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
APOD

Victor J Daley George Essex Evans Roderic Quinn Mary Hannay Foott Marie E. J. Pitt James Hebblethwaite Shaw Neilson

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » December 20th, 2020, 3:33 am

mightyfelix wrote:

Hi)
Could you please tell me why your last died in 3 months?

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » December 20th, 2020, 3:38 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 3:17 am
HannaPonomarenko wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 3:03 am
SonOfTheExiles wrote:

Chris
Ahh, perhaps this is another one of those cases where the West creates a supposed tradition that no one in the home country in question has ever heard of? I wonder. Wouldn't be the first time, would it?

The story I heard as a young person was of an elderly peasant woman visited by the three Wise Men on their way to see the Christ Child. They offer to take her with them, but she declines, only to later change her mind, take a bag full of toys for the Child and start out on her own. The story says that she has been wandering the world ever since in this quest, leaving toys from her bag for the world's children each year at Christmas time.

Next you'll be telling me that all the Radio Yerevan jokes are an American invention. :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
Interesting story. Is it considered to be a Russian folk one?
No, I won't;)

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » December 20th, 2020, 4:14 am

HannaPonomarenko wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 3:38 am
No, I won't;)
I really couldn't say. I just remember reading in a book in the school library about 40 years ago. In English. The very little amount of Russian I was taught to recite in 1991 by an elderly emigrant to Australia from Kiev consisted mostly of passages from the Russian Bible. I can still remember a few passages, but my pronunciation is probably very bad after so long.

So what about Snegurochka? Is she an actual tradition?

Chris
APOD

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » December 20th, 2020, 7:57 am

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 4:14 am
HannaPonomarenko wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 3:38 am
No, I won't;)
I really couldn't say. I just remember reading in a book in the school library about 40 years ago. In English. The very little amount of Russian I was taught to recite in 1991 by an elderly emigrant to Australia from Kiev consisted mostly of passages from the Russian Bible. I can still remember a few passages, but my pronunciation is probably very bad after so long.

So what about Snegurochka? Is she an actual tradition?

Chris
Well, she isn't related to gifts in her folk form. A childless couple made a girl of snow and she became alive and a loved one, but she thawed when she jumped over the fire with her friends despite of her parents' advise. So it's sad, yes)

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 20th, 2020, 8:14 am

HannaPonomarenko wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 3:33 am
mightyfelix wrote:

Hi)
Could you please tell me why your last died in 3 months?
I don't know why exactly, other than it was cheap. It was a Logitech headset mic. It was ok, but then one day, my computer just stopped recognizing it. After weeks or months of back-and-forth with Logitech's customer service department (and after I had given up on them), they sent me a replacement. It worked for a few days, and then the same thing happened. :| So maybe you could say it was my computer, but I never had trouble with my Samson Meteor Mic.

I will be sure to let you all know whether I get a microphone or a Quick Pot.

Anyone else think they know what they're getting? :mrgreen:

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » December 20th, 2020, 9:12 am

Like Tricia, we also don't exchange gifts with my partner, so I know what I'm NOT getting :lol: