Bambi by Felix Salten on PG

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JamesJenkins

Post by JamesJenkins »

A translation of Bambi by Felix Salten is now available on Project Gutenberg,

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63849

But it is not PD :(

The translation is copyrighted, so while we can't record it for librivox you can download the ebook and read it.
This post uses 100% recycled electrons
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Well, there are only 2 or 3 more years before the original English translation will become PD. :-) (I have seen a 1927 or a 1928 date for the US publication - haven't looked into it deeply to see which is correct).
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It's just a shame that Josefine Mutzenbacher isn't available in English yet. It's an erotic fictional biographical memoir attributed to Salten ... attributed firmly enough that his heirs have tried to claim royalties.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Josefine Mutzenbacher is a classic I keep looking at because I think it needs the Austrian/Viennese German.
He doesn't mince any words in this one. :lol:

I'm no prude, but there is this one word I really can't get over my lips... :?
So until I am handicapped like that, this one's for somebody else.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

In the English translation that I have, the part that I was most uncomfortable with was when Josefine was blackmailed into prostitution, towards the end.

Wikipedia mentioned that ... "The original novel uses the specific local dialect of Vienna of that time in dialogues and is therefore used as a rare source of this dialect for linguists. It also describes, to some extent, the social and economic conditions of the lower class of that time."

I hadn't realised that it would be difficult for someone speaking modern German to read it in the original language.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It's not difficult to read at all. The main text is standard German, with a few old-fashioned words here and there perhaps. The dialogues are in Viennese dialect, but they are not meant to be intellectually stimulating if you know what I mean. :wink:

So while the average German or German student, who only know/learn standard German will have their difficulties with the local dialect, it's still perfectly understandable to us Austrians. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com