I built an app for listening to Librivox audio books. Be my first users!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

When uploading applications, please remember to leave him good reviews - this will help its development! 👍
In a world where the Internet pays more and more attention to mobile versions of anything, this is a significant and important step forward - for the LV itself as well!
I am unlikely to use that application myself (`cause I use a smart not so much), but I think I will soon download it and leave a good review there.
Well done! All the best to invisibleCat and other volunteers! 😻
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I just got this app on my iPod and it looks really professional! Layout-wise, great job.

When I do the search thingy to look for a specific book, it seems like it glitches slightly (and there’s not a button you can hit to search the keywords, save for maybe “return”.)

Also, is there a way we can search for readings by specific volunteers? That request is really nitpicky I know so if not, that’s fine.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
geoscoutCJ

Post by geoscoutCJ »

invisibleCat wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:46 pm
geoscoutCJ wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:49 am This is awesome! I am also eagerly looking forward to the Android version of the app. :D
Android is here! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gemaudiobook
Great! I am downloading it tonight!! Are you looking for feedback on the user experience? If not, I will happily enjoy it but if so, I would love to know where to direct my thoughts. :)
We may never get another Today. Use wisely.
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Thank you, I have been looking for a way to easily download books so I can listen in the car. Thank you so much for making this!! I am definitely going to use it.

On the “Yours” tab, what is the difference between the “Books” and “History” tabs? Is “Books” just books that I have liked?

If I am searching for something on the search tab, then go to a different tab, then come back to the search tab, it remembers where I was and brings me to what I was last viewing there. I really like this feature! But is there an easy way to navigate back to the main search page to start a new search? I always subconsciously try to click on the search tab button a second time to get back to the main search page and start a brand new search without having to click the back button to go through all my search history to get there. Is there an easy way to get back to the main search screen without clicking back through my browsing history?
ScottCraig

Post by ScottCraig »

Hello invisibleCat,

This is great work :clap:

Is there a githubRepo for Gem where people can contribute / report issues?

Scott

Edinburgh, UK
Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

I greatly prefer yours to the "real" librivox app in the store! Thank you, this is put to together so well! :clap:

I just downloaded it so this praise is solely based on first impressions, but I'll play with it the rest of the week
Roxy
invisibleCat

Post by invisibleCat »

JayKitty76 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 1:32 pm I just got this app on my iPod and it looks really professional! Layout-wise, great job.

When I do the search thingy to look for a specific book, it seems like it glitches slightly (and there’s not a button you can hit to search the keywords, save for maybe “return”.)

Also, is there a way we can search for readings by specific volunteers? That request is really nitpicky I know so if not, that’s fine.
Thank you! You could probably try search their name in the search bar, the results might not be very well though. Thanks for trying the app!
invisibleCat

Post by invisibleCat »

geoscoutCJ wrote: March 19th, 2021, 5:52 pm
invisibleCat wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:46 pm
geoscoutCJ wrote: February 8th, 2021, 10:49 am This is awesome! I am also eagerly looking forward to the Android version of the app. :D
Android is here! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gemaudiobook
Great! I am downloading it tonight!! Are you looking for feedback on the user experience? If not, I will happily enjoy it but if so, I would love to know where to direct my thoughts. :)
Hello! For feedback you can message me on this forum or, in the app if you go to Settings from the bottom navigation, there is a link called "Feedback & bugs" which will take you to a google form. Thanks!
invisibleCat

Post by invisibleCat »

ElizaZ wrote: March 20th, 2021, 10:10 am Thank you, I have been looking for a way to easily download books so I can listen in the car. Thank you so much for making this!! I am definitely going to use it.

On the “Yours” tab, what is the difference between the “Books” and “History” tabs? Is “Books” just books that I have liked?

If I am searching for something on the search tab, then go to a different tab, then come back to the search tab, it remembers where I was and brings me to what I was last viewing there. I really like this feature! But is there an easy way to navigate back to the main search page to start a new search? I always subconsciously try to click on the search tab button a second time to get back to the main search page and start a brand new search without having to click the back button to go through all my search history to get there. Is there an easy way to get back to the main search screen without clicking back through my browsing history?
Thanks for the feedback! "Books" are books you liked, "History" are the ones you have a progress of more than 15 seconds regardless if you liked it.
The suggestion about navigation is great and I will look into if I support if in the next version (not sure when that will be though).
invisibleCat

Post by invisibleCat »

ScottCraig wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:38 am Hello invisibleCat,

This is great work :clap:

Is there a githubRepo for Gem where people can contribute / report issues?

Scott

Edinburgh, UK
Thank you! I don't have github repo, the code just lives on my laptop :D for feedback you can message me, post it here, or in the app, if you go to settings, there is a link called "feedback & bugs" which will link to a google form you can fill out. Thank you!
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Totally trying it!!!
Ella