Okay, take a deeeeeeep breath...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » November 22nd, 2020, 9:39 pm

Like the Desert Column's "March Into Infinity", one searches for the full-stop in this sentence from a Poetry Collections Preface circa 1916.

"As in hell, while "the heads" were devising the best method of introducing that
spice of variety we used to call "sin" into the tame blessedness of Eden, and while
the rank and file diabolic were engaged in a football match, others apart sat on a
hill retired and discussed Hegel, Bergson, Calvin, Chuang Tsu and Robert
Blatchford, and found no end in wandering mazes lost; so in Australia, while
billies boil, and the wattle gold gets sicklied over with the anaemia of the drawing room
ballad-monger and the society woman's wilting patronage, and the
sentimental "bloke" takes his "tart" to the semi-finals of the football season or to
the latest slip-slop of the "movies," and the spotted Lily of Brogan's Lane returns
from the Salvation Refuge to "Little Lon," and the swagman hopeless searches for
the lost "Up the country," and the shearer, in London-made boys' stories anyway,
"knocks down" his cheque at wayside shanties, and while the jaded earth seeks
relief from the ennui of existence in the fairly hopeful-looking attempted suicide
of a world-war by way of a three years' tremendous antistrophe to the two
thousand years' strophe of Christianity, - even while these things have been and
are, a few of us apart sit and seek to find some Ariadne clue and some Sesame
word in order to stalk the Minotaur of the wandering mazes and to open the cavern
where surely, in the process of time, Gold (if only fairy gold) has matured for us
and our race."
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
APOD

Victor J Daley George Essex Evans Roderic Quinn Mary Hannay Foott Marie E. J. Pitt James Hebblethwaite Shaw Neilson

schrm

Post by schrm » November 23rd, 2020, 11:51 am

nice amount of alliterations, too
en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe
de: sammlung prosa, rousseau, hoffmann: sommerfrische, tante fritzchen
dpl: children of the abbey, lay down your arms, hoffmann's

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 23rd, 2020, 1:30 pm

I got to “London-made boys’ stories anyway” before I ran out of breath :lol: And that was while speaking at top speed, mostly incoherent... Can someone tell me what this paragraph even means?? :lol: :lol:
Rachel
"...to counsel and calm the despairing... and to transform the grief that contemplates the grave by showing it the grief that looks up to the stars...” ~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 23rd, 2020, 1:31 pm

I could do it in two breaths though :wink:
Rachel
"...to counsel and calm the despairing... and to transform the grief that contemplates the grave by showing it the grief that looks up to the stars...” ~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » November 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 1:31 pm
Can someone tell me what this paragraph even means??
It’s from the Preface introducing Australian poet Joseph Furphy (alias “Tom Collins”), and here the writer is going through all the other Australian poets of the day. The “sentimental bloke” refers to C. J. Dennis, the shearer knocking down his cheque sounds like Henry Lawson, etc.

I’ve just put a poem of Joseph Furphy’s in the Weekly/Fortnightly poem suggestions, that rather cogently encapsulates the theological arguments, both for and against...

“That doubt will soon be set at rest —
You'll be extinguish'd, grill'd, or blest,
Or spook the world from east to west.
Meanwhile, you have to Wait.”
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
APOD

Victor J Daley George Essex Evans Roderic Quinn Mary Hannay Foott Marie E. J. Pitt James Hebblethwaite Shaw Neilson

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 27th, 2020, 12:49 pm

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
JayKitty76 wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 1:31 pm
Can someone tell me what this paragraph even means??
It’s from the Preface introducing Australian poet Joseph Furphy (alias “Tom Collins”), and here the writer is going through all the other Australian poets of the day. The “sentimental bloke” refers to C. J. Dennis, the shearer knocking down his cheque sounds like Henry Lawson, etc.

I’ve just put a poem of Joseph Furphy’s in the Weekly/Fortnightly poem suggestions, that rather cogently encapsulates the theological arguments, both for and against...

“That doubt will soon be set at rest —
You'll be extinguish'd, grill'd, or blest,
Or spook the world from east to west.
Meanwhile, you have to Wait.”
Ahh, understood, thank you! I'm not from Australia (rather, the U.S.!) so that's why I didn't get it :lol: :lol: Makes sense now though.

Ooh, I like the poem :clap:
Rachel

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 27th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Commas can also be breath marks. ;)

BTW, every time I see this thread title in my active topics list, I do indeed take a deeper breath than usual. :roll:
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories
Gospel of Matthew: Matthew, YLT

KevinS

Post by KevinS » November 27th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Well, it does have, at least, a semi-colon.