Favorite Literary Quotes (short ones!)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

JayKitty76 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm
maxgal wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:39 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Hahahaha I logged on (incidentally) just when you'd posted it-- it said "less than a minute ago" :lol: :lol:
Well, so now you have to contribute a fave of your own! :mrgreen:
I already did :lol: but I might as well do another one (apologies, I can't seem to keep it to a couple words only):

"Yes, that's the way they think, these hundred thousand Kantoreks! Iron Youth! Youth! We are none of us more than twenty years old. But young? Youth? That is long ago. We are old folk." - All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque
Ah yes, I see you now, waaaaaay up there....
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

maxgal wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:50 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:48 pm
maxgal wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Well, so now you have to contribute a fave of your own! :mrgreen:
I already did :lol: but I might as well do another one (apologies, I can't seem to keep it to a couple words only):

"Yes, that's the way they think, these hundred thousand Kantoreks! Iron Youth! Youth! We are none of us more than twenty years old. But young? Youth? That is long ago. We are old folk." - All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque
Ah yes, I see you now, waaaaaay up there....
What's funny is that I'm a huge reader (I learned to read when I was three and have loved it ever since) but in the past five or six years I've kind of shifted over into writing my own stories :9: My absolute favorite books are probably To Kill a Mockingbird, the Harry Potter series, Cross Roads (by William Paul Young...)

Actually, here's an excerpt from Cross Roads (this is the perfect thread, so...)

“There is always risk in relationships, but bottom line? The world has no meaning apart from relationships. Some are just messier than others, some are seasonal, others are difficult, and a few are easy, but every one of them is important.”
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Also this one is amazing from the same book:

“Somehow the pain, the losses, the hurt, the bad, God is able to transform these into something they could have never been, icons and monuments of grace and love. It is the deep mystery how wounds and scars can become precious, or a ravaging and terrifying cross the essential symbol of relentless affection.”
― Wm. Paul Young, Cross Roads

(I know, I know, these aren't short quotes and I apologize because I am a wordy person :lol: :lol: )
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

“What one regards as interruptions are precisely one’s life. —C. S. Lewis”
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

I also started a thread for "favorite literary questions," but since this here "quotes" thread seems to be The One, I'll just repeat my fave questions here instead:

"Do we see the hundred-thousandth part of what exists?" -- "The Horla," Guy de Maupassant

"...but why will you say that I am mad?" -- "The Tell-Tale Heart," Edgar Allan Poe

"I have never had a friend -- shall I find one now?" -- Carmilla, Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
Last edited by maxgal on November 27th, 2020, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."
-Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide series
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

"What happens to a dream deferred?" -- Langston Hughes
(I would write the entire poem, but can never get past this first line without choking up.)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

"Let all the poison that lurks in the mud hatch out." -- Claudius the God, Robert Graves
Louise
"every little breeze..."

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

“It’s a good thing to turn your mind upside-down every now and then, like an hour-glass, to let the particles run the other way.”
(from The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley)
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

"[Y]ou can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out completely dry. Most people do."
-- The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster
Louise
"every little breeze..."

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

This is not Literary per se but non-fiction from a C.F. Horne Anthology:
It is a remarkably beautiful sentence:

It may be remarked in passing
that on the day after these events,
Judge Delesvaux, fearing, perhaps needlessly,
that some of the triumphant Republicans whom he had so often punished would wreak vengeance upon him,
committed suicide.

The structure. The ironic play on tenses and modes.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

"So he passed over, and all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side". (Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan)

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other". (Emma, Jane Austen)

"Read at every wait; read at all hours; read within leisure; read in times of labor; read as one goes in; read as one goest out. The task of the educated mind is simply put: read to lead". (Marcus Tullius Cicero)

Barbara
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

“In literature as in love, we are astonished at what is chosen by others.” ― André Maurois
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

"I'm Nobody! Who are you?" -- Emily Dickinson
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

"Action is the antidote to despair." -- Joan Baez
Louise
"every little breeze..."