[CLOSED]Friendly Contest: Guess the 2020 Project Total

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Availle wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:50 pm 11 hours to go...
It is not even the 31st here yet. I know it flips before midnight my time, but I am pretty certain we have more than 11 hours till it happens. :D
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Right, I'm counting MY turn of the year! :shock:

Let me think... If I go by when the day changes on our homepage, which is 4 pm MY time, then we have .... a bit more than 26 hours left! :clap:

Oh... look there, I can still win this! Especially since now we have 1325 projects cataloged... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

And I have 2 in the queue at IA. So 1324 is not going to hold up... :(

LV 's 2020 ends at Midnight tomorrow PST.
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm afraid with 1326 projects catalogued, the lead is now MaryAnn. :thumbs:

We won't be stopping there I guess...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

MaryAnn, have you considered the advantages of being on Australian Eastern Daylight Time, which is (GMT+11)? :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
schrm

Post by schrm »

uh wow, while you were talking shakespeare, i was betting on who will win (in my mind, only). i guessed too low, again.
i'll go with a nice number, now.. kazbek!

but rslabaugh has the leet in the numbers...
and only ten projects are missing..

and then, who knows what availle will do? 15 projects and she will win!
i guess, her powers are immeasurable :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Now that I have seen the handwriting on the wall, the tea leaves in the cup, the positions of the sun in the heavens, the declining difference between current value and my guess, and the loss of any reasonable hope of - oh, but I ramble.

One kindest and friendliest way to look at this competition is that so far, 15 lucky Librivoxers have been able to have their brief moment of fame and glory and the adulation of their adoring peers before returning to the dark and quiet of their recording rooms. And several more may still yet be lifted up to that lofty height before the coming of The Happier New Year. Which, given the computation complexities of earthly time zones and international date lines, will be whenever TriciaG, revered holder of this competition for Librivox excellence and world domination - oh, scratch that last part - declares it to be.

This competition may not have climbed so high, perhaps, as the aspirational values inscribed by those of us at the upper end of the roll of participants. (No, we are not known as The Loony Librivoxers. That is a lie. The Daring Deviants is not a name we favor either.) By those of us with true vision and untainted reputations. WE obviously did not hold back, keep catalog-ready projects hidden away to spring out only at the last moment, employ strategies to pervert and inflate the values to become closer to those numbers we hold dear. Nay, if we have sought values too high for mortal readers to achieve in this year, it is only so that we may now urge our comrades onward and upward to a greater performance in a new competition reaching its conclusion at the end of 2021 - a full year of unrivaled marathonic effort rather than just a paltry two month sprint. Excelsior!
schrm

Post by schrm »

ToddHW wrote: December 31st, 2020, 5:20 am Excelsior!
that's poetry!
so, my interpretation is, that since we had only two projects in copleted since my local morning coffee, you are taking your hopes and everalsting positive spirits into the next year, where you will host a friendly competition from the very first of january?
let's raise a cup of whatever you prefer
cheerio
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Note that if - and I do say if - an annual contest were to be held, the text of the associated tongue-twister project would be far far more demanding than that of the paltry Peter Piper.

Thanks, Todd
schrm

Post by schrm »

ToddHW wrote: December 31st, 2020, 7:30 am Note that if - and I do say if - an annual contest were to be held, the text of the associated tongue-twister project would be far far more demanding than that of the paltry Peter Piper.

Thanks, Todd
well, you do know my bloopers with explosively p. piper.
please note, that, despite my preference to honesty and living the strength of water, flowing around the rock, i am able to announce, that i am quite sure to participate in such a unlikely vaporware endeavour.

in case this sentence is a horror to read and understand, i withhold any claims to be good in english, since i failed my classes, back then.

cheerio
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

We are currently at 1329, so we have a new leader with DACSoft.

I think one of the guesses in the 1330's is a good bet at being the winner. :-)

My guess was based on whatever we had been averaging a day for a while (I think 3 or 4), with a little added on for the end of the year push. If we hadn't had those two or more weeks in November where it slowed down to almost nothing, it would have been a good guess! :lol:
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

13 days left!

18 Декабря 7529 года от сотворения мира
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Or 43 days left if we use Chinese New Year....

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:12 am Or 43 days left if we use Chinese New Year....

Thanks, Todd
Sounds like the perfect solution, for you high-guessers!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Plus we get egg rolls!

Thanks, Todd