Interesting ... and irrelevant

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 28th, 2020, 11:16 am

What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm

... and it *was* interesting. I bought a lot of Heinlein's novels years ago, but, apart from The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, feel no urge to reread any of them. A couple of fragments from that article that stood out for me:
Moreover I think the current length of the term of copyright (life plus 70 years) is a bit much; my great-grandchildren do not need to be picking on the bones of my estate.
“The court ruled in Klinger’s favor, meaning that stories and characters from Holmes’ universe are now in the public domain in the U.S. – except for nine stories featured in The Case-Book, minus “The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone”, “The Problem of Thor Bridge”, and “The Adventure of the Creeping Man”. The rights to those stories will expire between 2020 and 2023.”

https://screenrant.com/sherlock-holmes-movie-tv-rights-owner-public-domain/
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » August 29th, 2020, 4:09 am

"I bought a lot of Heinlein's novels years ago, but, apart from The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, feel no urge to reread any of them."

Wherein the Australian population gets transported (again) to the Moon prison colony.

What are you trying to tell me, Peter? :lol:

I have a similar feeling re Heinlein's works. Once is great, but again seems like too much. Though the "wise man" quote is one for the ages.

“A wise man could not be insulted, since truth could not insult and untruth was not worthy of notice.”

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel
Dramatic Selections from Henry Lawson's Short Stories
(Poetry) Wine and Roses, by Victor J. Daley

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 29th, 2020, 4:33 am

The Moon Is Not Far Enough! .... unpublished Heinlein story.

.... it was a very mixed colony ... he wasn't an antipodeophobe. I like the (was it Professor? ... I no longer have a copy)'s views on anarchy and law.

.... and the recycling of the bodies of deceased family members in the garden tunnels. There's an organisation called Recompose which is working on this; a bit expensive at the moment, but I'd like to see the method much more widely available.
Peter

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 29th, 2020, 7:15 am

Dear Agony Aunt, I have a neighbor who hires a backhoe every time one of his family 'moves to Florida.' Should I be concerned?
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 29th, 2020, 12:24 pm

There are a few people who I think would benefit the world more as compost than as they are.

.... and to my daughter I bequeath two kilogrammes of potting compost ...

... or ... "Your roses are looking lovely!" "You can thank my neighbour for that."

Peter

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » August 30th, 2020, 2:52 am

Preliminary studies on deceased household pets contra-indicate the recycling of Mammalia and Reptilia.

But budgies compost okay.

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel
Dramatic Selections from Henry Lawson's Short Stories
(Poetry) Wine and Roses, by Victor J. Daley

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 30th, 2020, 5:41 pm

I remember a small collection of short stories in Analog around 1970, one of which was called Ravenshaw of Wild Blue Yonder. A small organisation was set up to investigate odd inventions, in the hope of discovering *extremely* odd devices and situations. One of the (ha!) ordinary inventions they received was called Shredded Tweet ... a perch next to some glued-down seeds, with a weight-activated vacuum pump to draw any small bird into the machine, where it was dried and shredded ... I think for use as compost. I'm surprised it's not in production.

I loved the stories, not least because they also involved an odd relationship between Ravenshaw and his (sort of) secretary, and between Ravenshaw and his boss, who both shared a liking for old-fashioned slang.
Peter

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » August 30th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Ravenshaw Series by Wallace M. Macfarlane (1918-1999)
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?24016

LibriVox has one Macfarlane SF short in the catalog, but it's not a Ravenshaw story.
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 30th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Thanks; it's good to know that I haven't missed any of the Analog stories. I think I still have copies tucked away somewhere. I'll see if I can get hold of the remaining story (from If magazine).

Peter