Audiobook Narrator Looking for Possible Proofer [NOT LV]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
larobie

Post by larobie » July 28th, 2020, 9:04 am

Hello All!!

My name is Larry Oblander. I am a fairly new audiobook narrator. I have a few books on audible right now if you'd like to take a quick listen. I am finding that when i try to proof myself, that I don't catch my mistakes because I'm used to the way I talk. (Go figure!)

I am looking for someone who might be able to assist me in finding my minor mistakes in my narrations before I get the file to the authors.

I tend to make minor mistakes, such as, saying "she" instead of "she'd" or say "he asked" instead of "he said". Or I might (because I tend to "act" out character scenes) accidentally add or omit words that are / are not in the actual script. I try my best to find the pronunciation of some words I'm not used to but sometimes find the wrong pronunciation anyway on YouTube.

In a 30 minute clip, I might have 2-10 of these types of mistakes (on a really bad day, maybe 15).

I can promise you, you will enjoy the narrations. I'm not a straight reader! I try to go all out. (Current book has 58 characters - I know, because the author gave me a list - and I have a distinct voice for 50 of them; the other 8 were throw-away single use characters.) I use several accents too.

I digress!

As I said, I am fairly new at this and want to connect with someone who is reliable and potentially make this a long term partnership for future books, not just a one-shot deal.

Thank you for reading (and listening)!

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 28th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Hi there and welcome!

So you're essentially looking for what we call a "Dedicated Proof Listener" for "word perfect" proofing - that is, checking against the text, right?

I have done this for other commercial projects and it's very, very boring to this for hours on end. :?
So, forgive me for being blunt :mrgreen: but:

How much payment do you have in mind for this?

Inquisitive minds want to know - and others on here as well.

Since it seems that you're offering an off-site commercial partnership, I'll move this topic to "Off Topic" where we collect projects like these.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com