Out-of-print books [Non-LV related question]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Is there a simple way of determining if a book is out-of-print? Not in the public domain, mind you, but just out-of-print.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I guess you could contact the publisher? :hmm: Or even an internet search for a new copy would probably tell you. If you can find new copies for sale, then yes, obviously. If not... I guess not?

I'm curious why you want to know. I guess the question has never occured to me before.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:34 am I guess you could contact the publisher? :hmm: Or even an internet search for a new copy would probably tell you. If you can find new copies for sale, then yes, obviously. If not... I guess not?

I'm curious why you want to know. I guess the question has never occured to me before.
For a number of reasons, but I did want to try to understand why some common titles are so expensive on e-Bay. (Most are not even first editions.) I can only assume they are out-of-print and valuable as keepsakes?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I see. It could be that. Or maybe it was a limited-run printing? On the other hand, sometimes the only reason they're so expensive is that sellers have found that people are willing to pay.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: June 28th, 2020, 10:25 am I see. It could be that. Or maybe it was a limited-run printing? On the other hand, sometimes the only reason they're so expensive is that sellers have found that people are willing to pay.
I thought of something else that might add to the demand (or not.)

I know that many libraries are disposing of their out-of-print books almost as quickly as they purchase new titles. The older books might be going into private libraries like my own. I pick up some good bargains from library book sales.