Video editing software (yes, video)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for some recommendations on video editing software. I know there's plenty out there, and that's why it's crucial to find a good base. I've done some research and even downloaded one, but it didn't work so well for me... at all. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good ones out there.... something similar to how audacity works with the whole "select what you want (e.g 4:13-5:02), and apply that affect (e.g noise reduction) to it."

I have a windows 10 laptop PC, plenty of space, and I'm willing to spend some money....

Any help would be appreciated. I'm kind of stuck.

Thanks in advance,
Elijah
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Well, the Adobe products are great ... and tremendously expensive ... and not simple. These were what I used ages ago when I still had a job title.

I've VideoPad (a free product, though upgrades are available at a reasonable price.) It does the trick for me (or did.) I just do audio now.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

KevinS wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm Well, the Adobe products are great ... and tremendously expensive ... and not simple. These were what I used ages ago when I still had a job title.

I've VideoPad (a free product, though upgrades are available at a reasonable price.) It does the trick for me (or did.) I just do audio now.
Hmm... yes, adobe is very good (according to reviews), but on the rather expensive side. I think I've found something.... I'll just need to twiddle a bit with it and see how it works. Sound only to video and sound makes things confusing :lol: Thank Kevin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ej400 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 3:47 pm
KevinS wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm Well, the Adobe products are great ... and tremendously expensive ... and not simple. These were what I used ages ago when I still had a job title.

Hmm... yes, adobe is very good (according to reviews), but on the rather expensive side. I think I've found something.... I'll just need to twiddle a bit with it and see how it works. Sound only to video and sound makes things confusing :lol: Thank Kevin
What did you find? And how is it working for you? I've been trying out some video editing, too, and have been finding it difficult.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

mightyfelix wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:05 pm What did you find? And how is it working for you? I've been trying out some video editing, too, and have been finding it difficult.
I'm using filmora scrn to record what is on my computer screen.... but the editing stuff there is so difficult. I'm still looking into how to do certain things there. If I make cuts in the recording, I'm using the NCH video pad video editor. That one is pretty good for edits, it's sort of like audacity, but still a little hard to navigate. The only thing I can really do is add stickers to keep my videos interesting... but if I have to make a few small cuts... that's about it, unfortunately.
audiomike

Post by audiomike »

Video editors eat resources. So using a laptop, unless it is a really good gaming type, is always going to be tedious. Lots of memory is good but it's the GPU that will make or break video. Most PC laptops don't have a lot of graphics horsepower. I use Premiere Pro CC on my desktop but wouldn't think of using it on my laptop. Video editors are also a trade off. The more powerful they are, the greater the learning curve. Simple ones won't do much but are easy to get your head around. If you want something that can be used at a basic level, yet can be powerful if you want it, and is free, try HitFilm Express. I use it on my laptop and it works fine. There are also plenty of YouTube tutorials out there for it.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

audiomike wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 6:43 am Video editors eat resources. So using a laptop, unless it is a really good gaming type, is always going to be tedious. Lots of memory is good but it's the GPU that will make or break video. Most PC laptops don't have a lot of graphics horsepower. I use Premiere Pro CC on my desktop but wouldn't think of using it on my laptop. Video editors are also a trade off. The more powerful they are, the greater the learning curve. Simple ones won't do much but are easy to get your head around. If you want something that can be used at a basic level, yet can be powerful if you want it, and is free, try HitFilm Express. I use it on my laptop and it works fine. There are also plenty of YouTube tutorials out there for it.
Thank you! My Windows 10 works perfectly fine and captures everything with filmora's scrn package. Seems to do the job. I just bought a tb harddrive so I think that will help things run good.... I'm not really a computer expert :lol:

I'll look into it though!
Thanks.
kenzeavo

Post by kenzeavo »

I think #audiomike has good advice. Especially his last comment. I settled on DaVinci Resolve mainly because there were a ton of easy to understand YouTube tutorials available. I've read great things about HitFilm Express, but haven't tried it. After trying Open Shot, Shot Cut, and a few others, I decided to try and find out what editor had the best, easy to understand tutorials. Resolve, like HitFilm, is said to have a steep learning curve, but, it hasn't crashed, or, just plain stopped on me, like the others did.
BTW, all the programs I tried were free to use programs.
Good Luck,
Ken
ej400

Post by ej400 »

kenzeavo wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:48 am I think #audiomike has good advice. Especially his last comment. I settled on DaVinci Resolve mainly because there were a ton of easy to understand YouTube tutorials available. I've read great things about HitFilm Express, but haven't tried it. After trying Open Shot, Shot Cut, and a few others, I decided to try and find out what editor had the best, easy to understand tutorials. Resolve, like HitFilm, is said to have a steep learning curve, but, it hasn't crashed, or, just plain stopped on me, like the others did.
BTW, all the programs I tried were free to use programs.
Good Luck,
Ken
Thank you! I've found what I need, mostly. I really need to find what can cut the video the best, because the editor I'm using doesn't provide that. I'm pretty sure I could use something else to do that part though, but for adding things into the video I'm pretty much set. :thumbs:
topazann

Post by topazann »

Check out Davinici Resolve 15, its almost like Adobe Premiere Pro but its absolutely free! AND it works on most machines so you should have no problems with it if you use Mac or Windows (not sure about Linux tho)!
LectorAlfonso

Post by LectorAlfonso »

Hi there!

For anyone looking for some software that won't require a lot of hardware resources...
I find online video editors are a good alternative! Specifically, I have tried WeVideo (https://www.wevideo.com/), and it worked well for me!

(I had previously used Camtasia for a "video project", and it really seemed to "strain" my laptop...!) :)
Alfonso
Jaymax

Post by Jaymax »

In the free realm I like Lightworks.

In the commercial world I like Adobe.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

topazann wrote: May 9th, 2020, 11:17 pm Check out Davinici Resolve 15, its almost like Adobe Premiere Pro but its absolutely free! AND it works on most machines so you should have no problems with it if you use Mac or Windows (not sure about Linux tho)!
Thank you! I've looked into it. I've heard that Vegas Pro seems to a good one as well, kind of like adobe. Kind of spendy, but I think this free one looks nice. :D
ej400

Post by ej400 »

LectorAlfonso wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:42 am Hi there!

For anyone looking for some software that won't require a lot of hardware resources...
I find online video editors are a good alternative! Specifically, I have tried WeVideo (https://www.wevideo.com/), and it worked well for me!

(I had previously used Camtasia for a "video project", and it really seemed to "strain" my laptop...!) :)
I've looked into this one, but it doesn't really fit well for me. There aren't a lot of effects I can do with it, but it's a nice and simple one that I learned a bit from. Thank you :D
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Jaymax wrote: May 20th, 2020, 7:18 am In the free realm I like Lightworks.

In the commercial world I like Adobe.
Yes, I think adobe looks good. Thanks for the suggestions! :D