Does physical appearance and gender predict employability?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » April 10th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Hi Chad,

Good luck to you with your research. Anecdotal responses can be as important as other evidence in the research, especially in giving color to your study. We're seeing this with the therapeutic medication hydroxychloroquine for the corona virus.

From my experience, gender is not as large a factor as it has been in the past, at least in the U.S. It's more important that you have the experience or expertise for a employment opportunity, or that you can show the initiative or work ethic to gain the experience.

A more important factor is physical appearance, and that doesn't mean whether you are "good-looking" or attractive, or not. To me it is your overall appearance that is important. For example, if I'm hiring for an office position or face-to-face customer service position, and you come to the interview in a t-shirt and ripped jeans, unkempt hair, don't look like you had a bath/shower in weeks, I don't care how personable or knowledgeable you are, you're not getting the job. :) How you present yourself, and therefore represent your potential employer is important.

And as you conduct your research here and elsewhere, take the naysayers with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, often there is a good message or piece of advice that can be lost, hidden, or ignored due to the advisor's presentation, either verbally or in writing.

FWIW,
Don

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Surely it depends on the job you are applying for ? A position as a builder's labourer would require a somewhat different garb than a 5 star hotel porter :D
And if you turned up for an interview with a negro employer wearing a KKK badge it might affect your prospects.
But if you turned up in a business suit to apply somewhere where everyone was working on computer games dressed in genes and T-shirts it might not work either.
If your research subject is "What do people think makes them employable" or "What do people think will cure cancer, or epidemics" then you will get answers from anecdotal responses but if you want to know " What does make people employable" or "what will cure cancer or epidemics" you need better questions - especially "what evidence have you for that statement ?"

Anne

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » April 12th, 2020, 12:45 am

annise wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Surely it depends on the job you are applying for ? A position as a builder's labourer would require a somewhat different garb than a 5 star hotel porter :D
And if you turned up for an interview with a negro employer wearing a KKK badge it might affect your prospects.
But if you turned up in a business suit to apply somewhere where everyone was working on computer games dressed in genes and T-shirts it might not work either.
If your research subject is "What do people think makes them employable" or "What do people think will cure cancer, or epidemics" then you will get answers from anecdotal responses but if you want to know " What does make people employable" or "what will cure cancer or epidemics" you need better questions - especially "what evidence have you for that statement ?"

Anne
I would tend to agree with this. On the other hand, I still wonder if LV is the best and appropriate platform for this sort of research especially as server space is a sought after resource. I wish the OP success with his quest, but he may find he gets a limited responses on this forum. Better to try elsewhere because he may find more responses and interest. Of course I may be totally wrong!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 12th, 2020, 5:23 am

We have always allowed some freedom in the off-topic and people doing serious research have asked for help usually by asking people to participate in a usually off-forum survey. Knowing the forum is labelled "Off Topic" means that members without the time and inclination can just completely ignore it all without missing anything important.

Anne

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » April 12th, 2020, 3:45 pm

KevinS wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 7:37 am
lurcherlover wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 7:23 am
I thought this forum was primarily to promote the recording of books etc., and not about doing "University" research. If the OP is not interested in audiobooks maybe he/she would be better off using a more appropriate forum?
Chad is quite active with recording. I can't think of a forum for off topic stuff and nonsense better than this thread where we can discuss knitting.

Which reminds me of the large and powerfully-built African-American football player who knitted. It was quite a thing, and used as an example to take down gender-based stereotypes.
Rosey Grier! He did needlepoint -- even came out with a book of "Needlepoint for Men" in the 1970s...

Colleen

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 12th, 2020, 4:29 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 3:45 pm
KevinS wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 7:37 am
lurcherlover wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 7:23 am
I thought this forum was primarily to promote the recording of books etc., and not about doing "University" research. If the OP is not interested in audiobooks maybe he/she would be better off using a more appropriate forum?
Chad is quite active with recording. I can't think of a forum for off topic stuff and nonsense better than this thread where we can discuss knitting.

Which reminds me of the large and powerfully-built African-American football player who knitted. It was quite a thing, and used as an example to take down gender-based stereotypes.
Rosey Grier! He did needlepoint -- even came out with a book of "Needlepoint for Men" in the 1970s...

Colleen
Thank you! Hahaha! I was close at least!

schrm

Post by schrm » April 13th, 2020, 8:13 am

reminds me of arsenic and lace...
not pd in eu nor us :evil:

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, katerpoesie, allerlei gelehrte

kenzeavo

Post by kenzeavo » May 4th, 2020, 9:30 am

Answer to your question is yes, but, only to the extent that the individual allows it to be.