Coronavirus - Hope Everyone is Okay!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Meanwhile, I work in a call-centre. We're supposed to go remote at some point but it's getting delayed.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

My county just issued a shelter-in-place, but I'm a little nervous, because I haven't heard from my employer about whether or not to go to work tomorrow. We're a non-profit, and for some legal reason or another, I've heard that we are exempt from an order like this, but I don't understand why. We're not providing an essential service. I feel that we should honor the shelter-in-place order, even if we ARE exempt, but I'm worried that I'll still be expected to go in. It's almost midnight, though, so I don't want to call anyone to find out. Guess I'll just go to bed and get up at my usual time and give someone a call. :?
bookwarm

Post by bookwarm »

jessieyun0404 wrote: โ†‘January 28th, 2020, 6:53 am Hey Librivox.

I just wanted to jump here and say, please stay safe and be careful! Especially to those who is living in a country that has a high risk of getting more infections - Taiwan, Japan, and even my country, South Korea.
I don't know if the situations will become better, but hopefully everyone can win this fight against the virus as soon as possible.
Four months on and the global picture of infections looks so much different than in Jan, with the US and the UK as the biggest losers now. In the meantime, South Korea has become a model for how to handle the pandemic, although there are signals of a fresh spike in cases there. So, I hope you're OK, Jessie. I've just discovered your music and wanted to say it is outstanding! :clap: Been playing "The end of my days" in a loop, and just can't get enough of it. Keep going, girl. You definitely know what you're doing. :D
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Just want to point out that I find the title of this thread offensive. Please edit your initial post to novel coronavirus or COVID-19.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Looks as though the original poster hasn't logged on since January. I've edited the post title. When this thread was first posted, the virus didn't have an official name yet and international spread had been recognized for only a short time, so I'm sure she posted it in good faith. But you're right that naming the virus for the site of first outbreak is no longer appropriate.
Laurie Anne
MMMD2505

Post by MMMD2505 »

Coronavirus quote of the day from the Double:

"I feel it, Anton Antonovich, on my side, too, I quite feel all that. But I didn't mean that, I am speaking of a mask, Anton Antonovich...."

"A mask?"

"Again you... I am apprehensive that you are taking this, too, in a wrong sense, that is the sense of my remarks, as you say yourself, Anton Antonovich. I am simply enunciating a theory, that is, I am advancing the idea, Anton Antonovich, that persons who wear a mask have become far from uncommon, and that nowadays it is hard to recognize the man beneath the mask...."

"Well, do you know, it's not altogether so hard. Sometimes it's fairly easy....."

"No, you know, Anton Antonovich, I say, I say of myself, that I, for instance, do not put on a mask except when there is need of it; that is simply at carnival time or at some festive gathering..."

-The Double chapter 8, Fydor Dostoyevsky

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=80394&p=1729485&hilit=the+double#p1729485

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

"All human wisdom is contained in these two words- Wait and Hope."

-The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

mightyfelix wrote: โ†‘March 14th, 2020, 5:48 pm Introverts love people too. But we get worn out after too much socializing, especially if it's surface level "small talk." We really love sitting down with just one or two people and having a really deep stimulating conversation. But a 30-second talk in an elevator can wipe us out.
Exactly! By the way, the virus has a 99.9 survival rate, so take courage everyone! :D
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth๐Ÿงโ€โ™€๏ธ, classics๐Ÿ“–, and art๐ŸŽจ๐Ÿ–Œ
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You know - that doesn't cheer me up at all -
Not even if I knew that I and all those I care about were the 99.9%, I'd still not be cheerful about the .1% - they are someone else's loved ones - dying a painful death often without their families beside them and not even having a proper funeral.
"Any man's death diminishes me..."

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I don't know anything about statistics and whatnot for the virus, but for someone like me with underlying health issues, the odds are not as good as a general population. I'm fortunate as I am retired and have no real need to leave home, but I do get worried and I do feel for those who have not been fortunate to survive this pandemic.
linny

Post by linny »

I'm fortunate that I can have groceries delivered any my pharmacy has a drive through. The only time I need to leave the house is to go to the doctor.

It makes me sad when I think about all of the people who don't have easy access to food and drinking water. I can live like this for ages while others risk their lives and the lives of their family to get the basic necessities needed to live.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

My family all had it, as well as most of the people in our church (nearly 200 members). We've all recovered and nobody even went to the hospital, although one elderly gentleman with underlying health issues almost went in. How did he get better without going? Breathing treatments. Another thing that was helpful for some people was Aspirin to thin the blood. (They say the virus was designed to thicken it, causing tiny clots to collect in the lungs, etc.) I'm sure there are other natural blood thinners that could be helpful as well, BUT please be careful with any blood thinners because for some people it could be very dangerous. And even if it's OK for you, don't expect it to work same for everybody because we're all made differently.

The main thing I'm concerned about is that people do their research before they get it, rather than waiting till they get sick then heading to the hospital as their only option. Some hospitals/ doctors are doing an awesome job and saving many lives, but there are others that just seem to be out for the money... Of course, the very best thing you can do is to build up your immune system and stay clear of the virus entirely if possible. :)

Take care, everyone! May we all come through safely.
~Rosebud
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

With 200 people only 0.2 of them would have died if the statistics are correct :D - and one current theory is that the severe cases are caused by a massive immune reaction.

Anne
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

annise wrote: โ†‘July 13th, 2020, 5:14 pm With 200 people only 0.2 of them would have died if the statistics are correct :D
Haha! I hadn't thought of that. :mrgreen:
~Rosebud
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

What I meant was that many people survive a run-in with this virus, but yes, every death from it (or anything) is sad. :(
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth๐Ÿงโ€โ™€๏ธ, classics๐Ÿ“–, and art๐ŸŽจ๐Ÿ–Œ
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

When you posted I had just finished talking with someone whose mother is in an aged care facility and they are all not being allowed visitors The daughter had been visiting every day for years and hasn't been able to since March. Her mother is 96, almost blind and has lost most English she has acquired - she only speaks the Italian dialect of her childhood which even her daughter struggles with. So it is very stressful for them both. And they are not the only ones in the same situation. Many people are suffering from the consequences rather than the disease.

Anne