[NOT LV]Mp3 to Mp4 - or Audacity to YouTube

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 22nd, 2020, 6:50 pm

tfavreau wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:39 pm
I am looking in Audacity now, that is not an option for me. I am using Audacity version 2.3.3 - Is this an additional plugin that you have? O tried my Google Foo and came up with snake eyes. I believe that Audacity is audio-only so I am interested in how you're accomplishing this. Do tell! :-)
I believe I'm using the same version.

When one exports, select 'Export Audio' and then use the pull-down menu to select one of various options, including the .WMV file format.

Please let me know if this works.
In a gadda da vida, honey

tfavreau

Post by tfavreau » January 22nd, 2020, 7:00 pm

KevinS wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:50 pm
tfavreau wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 6:39 pm
I am looking in Audacity now, that is not an option for me. I am using Audacity version 2.3.3 - Is this an additional plugin that you have? O tried my Google Foo and came up with snake eyes. I believe that Audacity is audio-only so I am interested in how you're accomplishing this. Do tell! :-)
I believe I'm using the same version.

When one exports, select 'Export Audio' and then use the pull-down menu to select one of the various options, including the WMV file format.

Please let me know if this works.
Unfortunately, I see the option for WMA, not WMV. A file with the WMA file extension is a Windows Media Audio file. I was all excited for a moment, oh well :?
-=TF=-

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 22nd, 2020, 9:14 pm

tfavreau wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 7:00 pm

Unfortunately, I see the option for WMA, not WMV. A file with the WMA file extension is a Windows Media Audio file. I was all excited for a moment, oh well :?
Of course! I confused them. I apologize.
In a gadda da vida, honey

Anonyme

Post by Anonyme » January 23rd, 2020, 11:48 am

It seems like one can export an mp4 format from Audacity using the FFmpeg library:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/export.html

I'm not sure if it will get around YouTubes video requirements.

What I would do is import it into any video editor then immediately export it as an mp4. But while you're at it, you could import a cover art image to place on the blank video.
"Le monde est un livre dont chaque pas nous ouvre une page."
- Alphonse de Lamartine

https://github.com/An0n3m0us

tfavreau

Post by tfavreau » January 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm

Anonyme wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 11:48 am
It seems like one can export an mp4 format from Audacity using the FFmpeg library:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/export.html
I was happy and checked! Alas, nope, audio-only.
I'm not sure if it will get around YouTubes video requirements.
Unfortunately no.
What I would do is import it into any video editor then immediately export it as an mp4. But while you're at it, you could import a cover art image to place on the blank video.
I am willing to give that a try. Do you have a video editor that you would recommend I try? I have never used one before so this should be entertaining at the least :D
-=TF=-

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm

I am willing to give that a try. Do you have a video editor that you would recommend I try? I have never used one before so this should be entertaining at the least :D
I use Camtasia Studio. I can make you a little video showing how I do it if you want. I'm sure there are free ones out there.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Hootin' is a gateway drug to Hollerin'.

Pssss! Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

Anonyme

Post by Anonyme » January 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

I do a lot of video editing and I use Kdenlive which is both free, easy to use and for Linux, Mac and Windows so I can use it anywhere:
https://kdenlive.org/en/download/

OpenShot is an alternative but I didn't like it as much: https://www.openshot.org/download/

I threw together a quick recording on how to do it in Kdenlive (sorry if it's a little shabby; I'm a bit busy at the moment so I couldn't spend too much time on it):
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ6Su2kZ46jnf5v1y3YRUWfHqiqhEYEk53lX

I used two chapters of the Treasure Island recordings and the cover art.
For zooming in and out you can use Ctrl+Scroll instead of using the slider; I used it for clarity.

The process is as follows:
1. Click the 'movie button' to load in the audio file/s and optionally the cover art.
2. Click the 'Continue' button when it wants to switch to a new profile.
3. Pull the audio files to the A1 channel and give a bit of spacing between the chapters.
4. Pull the cover art file to the V1 channel and make sure the length matches to the end of the last audio chapter (it will automatically snap into position when you move it to the end)
5. Click the 'Play' button (or spacebar) to check if everything seems OK.
6. Click the 'Render' button, set an output path (you can also click the little folder icon to the right of the text box) and then click MP4.
7. Finally, click the 'Render to File' button and await the rendering. It should output a file in the directory you picked. You can now upload it to YouTube!
- Alphonse de Lamartine

tfavreau

Post by tfavreau » February 10th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Anonyme wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
I do a lot of video editing and I use Kdenlive which is both free, easy to use and for Linux, Mac and Windows so I can use it anywhere:
https://kdenlive.org/en/download/

OpenShot is an alternative but I didn't like it as much: https://www.openshot.org/download/

I threw together a quick recording on how to do it in Kdenlive (sorry if it's a little shabby; I'm a bit busy at the moment so I couldn't spend too much time on it):
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ6Su2kZ46jnf5v1y3YRUWfHqiqhEYEk53lX

I used two chapters of the Treasure Island recordings and the cover art.
For zooming in and out you can use Ctrl+Scroll instead of using the slider; I used it for clarity.

The process is as follows:
1. Click the 'movie button' to load in the audio file/s and optionally the cover art.
2. Click the 'Continue' button when it wants to switch to a new profile.
3. Pull the audio files to the A1 channel and give a bit of spacing between the chapters.
4. Pull the cover art file to the V1 channel and make sure the length matches to the end of the last audio chapter (it will automatically snap into position when you move it to the end)
5. Click the 'Play' button (or spacebar) to check if everything seems OK.
6. Click the 'Render' button, set an output path (you can also click the little folder icon to the right of the text box) and then click MP4.
7. Finally, click the 'Render to File' button and await the rendering. It should output a file in the directory you picked. You can now upload it to YouTube!
First off I want to say thank you for what I would call going above and beyond in helping a person out!

I did as you said and tried Kdenlive. It works like a charm! I have converted 6 episodes for my project so far and I am learning a few things I would like to share.
  • If you just use the picture in the first 30 seconds, and the last 30 seconds you will save yourself a TON of file size creation. I decreased one of my files from 250 MB to 15 MB this way.
  • You can pick additional compression from the rendering slider to also decrease file size
  • and you can pick a lower resolution for your video. Since this is an audio file, for the most part, no need to have it 1080p when a lower format will work
I hope this thread helps others out like it has helped me. Very beneficial and thank you again!
-=TF=-

Anonyme

Post by Anonyme » February 12th, 2020, 2:03 am

You're welcome! I'm glad it helped : )

Great tips there! It's always good to keep the file size as small as possible, but remaining at a decent quality.
- Alphonse de Lamartine

tfavreau

Post by tfavreau » February 13th, 2020, 8:28 am

I have refined my idea a little more and I think people who will read this will greatly benefit from this.

Once you have your audio the way you want it, create 3 pictures to before you make it into a video.
  • The first photo can be just one picture for one second. This will be the thumbnail you can use for YouTube
  • The second photo can be for 30 seconds. This one explains what you are going to talk about and after 30 seconds the screen will go blank
  • the last picture can be for them to contact you, or tell them to read the show notes, or whatever message you want to leave them. I suggest 15 to 30 seconds for this as well.
The idea on this is for them to listen to it, the 3 pictures help, but are not the main focus. As I said in my previous post, this really keeps the size down while allowing you to utilize the YouTube platform and its tremendous reach.
-=TF=-

CSCO

Post by CSCO » February 13th, 2020, 9:55 am

Hi,

However, just for the record, there are a number of people uploading our readings to YouTube and it has been known for a recording to get there before we have catalogued it, ...

I have a hint. Windows Media Audio (WMA) is Microsoft's own proprietary. So, MS hides the file format details. So, almost all sound converters can't handle wma files. (I saw wav to wma online converters. I suppose the websites are powered by MS secretly as a customer service. If not, MS destroys the websites surely.)

In other words, if all catalogue files are wma files, no one can upload the files to YouTube. (And we can use MS as our Kerberos for free.)

P.P. (CSCO or Winnie-the-プー太郎)
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

BengtW

Post by BengtW » May 25th, 2020, 1:31 am

Sorry for the late answer. The way I upload the content to Youtube is fully automated in python. I use the web API to get the XML info of the catalog. I have a local database keeping track what has already been processed to find the new recordings. Every recording is then processed by another script that downloads the cover and the chapters and converts the mp3 together with the cover with ffmpeg. The description is also generated at the same time with chapters, info and links etc. Then the Youtube APi is used to upload them and created the playlists etc. All I have to do is sometime poke it when there has been a network error or a chapter link is broken. Then I report that here in the error report forum and continue with the next recording and putting the broken one aside until it has been resolved. I will update the statistics as I have not done it for a long time. We are doing good Youtube, its a steady growth!