[NOT LV]Mp3 to Mp4 - or Audacity to YouTube

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
tfavreau

Post by tfavreau » January 20th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to LibriVox here and I am following the LibriVox YouTube channel to listen to the eBooks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsHiFXTYJrc6ZKK_HJMX6jA

Question: Once I record something in Audacity, it only gives me the option to save it as an mp3 file (audio file) and YouTube will not accept that. They say "they say" that it has to be a video file, like an Mp4 to upload there. So how does LibriVox accomplish this? Once I have made my recordings how do I do what you fine folks are doing here? I did a forum search, and then a Google search, and neither provided me with anything that was even close to what I was searching for. So how is LibriVox accomplishing this?

-=TF=-
-=TF=-

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 20th, 2020, 2:01 pm

The MP3 file is an audio file; the MP4 is a video file. YouTube does video only. I am not an expert in these things so excuse my oversimplification.
I use a program called Camasia studio to make videos of my recordings, or at least I did many years ago. It converts the 'video' into an MP4.
Someone with more knowledge will come alolng no doubt. Thanks for the link, I had forgotten about it. :thumbs:
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

At any moment the urge to sing the Lion Sleeps Tonight is just a whim away..

These Tutorial Videos Certified Virus Free !!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 20th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Try iTunes . It does covert them to video files
Anne

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » January 20th, 2020, 4:50 pm

LibriVox is not involved in any youtube channel. :D

For details about the how-to, you should try and contact the owner of said channel.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

ej400

Post by ej400 » January 21st, 2020, 1:10 pm

tfavreau wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 1:46 pm
Once I have made my recordings how do I do what you fine folks are doing here?

Here at librivox, we only record the audiobooks and upload them into the internet archive. None of us actually upload our recordings to youtube. It is one volunteer, who got the wonderful idea of downloading and uploading all of the librivox recordings to youtube. I believe it would be Basquetteur, memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=83613 who is the one creating all the videos. They're the one who has been giving updates on the monthly youtube statistics for librivox, although librivox doesn't claim the channel as it's own. Possibly private message them?
tfavreau wrote:
I did a forum search, and then a Google search, and neither provided me with anything that was even close to what I was searching for. So how is LibriVox accomplishing this?
I'm not entirely sure how they do it. I'm hoping to become a youtuber soon, and I'm also hoping I can edit my audio using audacity. The only possible way I can think of this being possible using audacity to edit the audio, is that by using some software (I'm not sure what, or if it exists), that would allow the editor to pick apart the audio and video. I'm probably not making any sense right now though.

Good luck!
Elijah

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm

tfavreau wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am new to LibriVox here and I am following the LibriVox YouTube channel to listen to the eBooks.

Question: Once I record something in Audacity, it only gives me the option to save it as an mp3 file (audio file) and YouTube will not accept that. They say "they say" that it has to be a video file, like an Mp4 to upload there. So how does LibriVox accomplish this? Once I have made my recordings how do I do what you fine folks are doing here? I did a forum search, and then a Google search, and neither provided me with anything that was even close to what I was searching for. So how is LibriVox accomplishing this?

-=TF=-
I've never done it, but Audacity allows one to export audio to a WMV file format. This is a format that, I understand, can be uploaded to YouTube.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 21st, 2020, 3:30 pm

I don't think Elijah has named the right member. However, just for the record, there are a number of people uploading our readings to YouTube and it has been known for a recording to get there before we have catalogued it, so assumedly they are using Archive as the source site, but I don't really know - or care much. The main reason I notice is that they use our coverart - which is also OK, but it does annoy me when I see something that has taken time to make just stretched to a rectangle but that is Public Domain so I just mutter under my breath. (They often show up in an image search based on the book title)

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 21st, 2020, 4:03 pm

annise wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 3:30 pm
... but it does annoy me when I see something that has taken time to make just stretched to a rectangle...
That would annoy me, too.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 21st, 2020, 6:23 pm

So who DOES upload our audiobooks to YouTube? I had not been there in years. Personally I have no problem with this and did not notice any distortion of the cover art. He/she is doing a lot of work but no name is available that I can see.
The views are quite low however compared to LV catalog. Anne of the Island (version2) is the second most popular book on their channel with 21 K views in 2 years, compared to the same book with 360 K views in the catalog. The yout ube channel is very well set up and has great search functions.
Cool. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsHiFXTYJrc6ZKK_HJMX6jA/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 21st, 2020, 6:31 pm

philchenevert wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 6:23 pm
So who DOES upload our audiobooks to YouTube?
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=73889
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 21st, 2020, 6:38 pm

Thanks Tricia.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 21st, 2020, 8:59 pm

That's just 1 of many Phil. :D
He may be "THE Official LibriVox Channel" (it is not official - )
He's not "Precious Audiobooks" -
and there are others.

ej400

Post by ej400 » January 22nd, 2020, 7:25 am

annise wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 3:30 pm
I don't think Elijah has named the right member.
See I thought it had to be them since they are providing us with the youtube information. On a youtube channel you can see how many of your viewers are actually subscribed and other statistics, but I wouldn't think that someone who doesn't have access to the account would be allowed to view that information... unless they paid very close attention to the numbers.

As for the covers, I feel like the time and work that people put into the covers is a LOT of work. I appreciate all they do, but if an image they worked hard on is distorted... That seems a bit sad. I also could share the frustration with that but of course, I haven't made a cover. It's the same type of thing when recordings are sold somewhere else and claimed as their own :?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 22nd, 2020, 1:37 pm

Doesn't really matter Elijah, but the one who is posting the statistics is BengW. :D viewtopic.php?f=24&t=73889.

Anne

tfavreau

Post by tfavreau » January 22nd, 2020, 6:39 pm

KevinS wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm
tfavreau wrote:
Hello everyone,

-=TF=-
I've never done it, but Audacity allows one to export audio to a WMV file format. This is a format that, I understand, can be uploaded to YouTube.
I am looking in Audacity now, that is not an option for me. I am using Audacity version 2.3.3 - Is this an additional plugin that you have? O tried my Google Foo and came up with snake eyes. I believe that Audacity is audio-only so I am interested in how you're accomplishing this. Do tell! :-)
-=TF=-