One Book A Week Club 2020

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm

Welcome to the LibriVox One Book a Week Club, "new decade" edition 2020!

Sign up and set your goal for 2020 - how many books do you want to read this year?
Or do you just skip the goals and read as you go?

Anything goes: novels, non-fiction, audio- or e-books...
Anytime goes: one per day/week/weekend/month/quarter...

Update your post with your latest read, if you like, you can give a rating or even a short synopsis.

But most of all: Have fun! :D

This seems to be one of the oldest and longest going traditions on LibriVox. Threads from previous years are here - how do you compare? :wink:
2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm

Let's start the thread off already ;-)

Looking at last year's statistics, I didn't do well with only 23 finished books, but I do think that I missed a few towards the end, and I didn't count re-reads of which there were plenty. Unfortunately, English books are very expensive here, and the library doesn't have quite as many as I'd wish (for obvious reasons...) I'm also not commuting anymore at all, which has cut into my time for audiobooks... Anyway, who knows what this year brings - I'm on the way of finishing one LV solo already. :D

Dead tree copies for my own entertainment/edification/or for work:
1. The Gate by Soseki Natsume. Nice and old-fashioned. Very Japanese indeed.
2. Silence by Shusaku Endo. Wonderful novel about Christian persecution in 17th century Japan. Highly recommended!
3. Unexpected Destinations by Akiko Kuno. Nonfiction about her great-grandmother, the first Japanese graduate of Vassar.

Audiobooks FROM LibriVox for my own entertainment/edification on commutes and during housework:

Audiobooks FOR LibriVox for my own entertainment/edification and possibly that of others:
1. Nami-ko by Roka Tokutomi.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » December 31st, 2019, 6:25 pm

Jumping on the bandwagon here... last year I was laid up pre- and post-surgery and read a lot 8-)

I crossed off 23 books on a 100 Favorite Books poster -- a couple were re-reads (Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations). The list goes from The Odyssey to ... I'm not sure what. Oprah's book club selections, I think.
I also read all 19 of a modern series of mysteries -- knitting pattern and recipe included in each :D
I started on another series, but only read the first 3 before I had to start back in real life :D
I think I only managed 2 LV solos this year, but am over halfway through my first for 2020.
I listen to LV in the car but am not driving for work any more so only get to listen going to the grocery store :evil: Except for the 1500 mile drive between Oregon and Arizona,which we did twice; but no more.

Can't wait to get started on the next year's reading 8-) 8-) 8-)

Goal for this year: 52 books

Real books/ebooks:

It Happened in Arizona by James A. Crutchfield
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman
Unspeakable Things by Jess Lourie

Audiobooks listened to:

Days with Sir Roger de Coverley by Joseph Addison and Richard Steele https://librivox.org/days-with-sir-roger-de-coverley-by-joseph-addison/
Audiobooks recorded:

Total: 5

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » December 31st, 2019, 11:40 pm

Well, I missed my goal in 2019 by 3 books. :( So I'm keeping the same goal for this year.

Goal: 66 books
Completed: 0 books

Books/ebooks read{A}:
1. The Life of Abraham Lincoln, by Harriet Putnam - 1905 (text) (in progress - producing for PG)
2. Footprints of Famous Men, by John G. Edgar - 1854 (text) (in progress - producing for PG)

Audiobooks - LV DPLs:
1. The Quirt, by B. M. Bower - 1920 (text) (audio) (in progress)
2. Frank Merriwell at Yale, by Burt L. Standish - 1903 (text) (audio) (in progress)
3. The Art of War, by Niccolo Machiavelli - 1675 (text) (audio) (in progress)

Audiobooks - LV solos:
1. Left to Themselves, by Edward Irenæus Stevenson - 1891 (text) (audio) (in progress) {B}
2. Baseball Joe in the Central League, by Lester Chadwick - 1914 (text) (audio) (in progress) {B}

Audiobooks - LV other:
1. The Garden God, by Forrest Reid - 1906 (text) (audio) (in progress) {B}
2. The White Company, by Arthur Conan Doyle - 1891 (text) (audio) (in progress)

{A} includes read-alouds to my nieces/nephews -- which got me started at LV! 8-)
{B} produced these for Project Gutenberg/Distributed Proofreaders
{C} produced these for Project Gutenberg
Last edited by DACSoft on January 1st, 2020, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Central League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe on the Giants

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » January 1st, 2020, 9:14 am

I read 42 books last year, counting audiobooks and paper books together. The 2019 list is here.

My goal last year was to remember to update the list once a month, so I wouldn't have to work from memory at the end of the year. I did pretty well until June, then forgot about it. (Whoops!) So this year, I'll set the same goal -- update once a month -- and try to remember!

I'll start off this year's list with my newest book, a Christmas gift that I'm almost finished reading on New Year's Day:

1. Nurse and Spy in the Union Army by S. Emma Edmonds
(This is a facsimile reprint of the original memoir, so the print is a bit hard to read, but the content is fascinating.)

linny

Post by linny » January 1st, 2020, 9:52 am

I've decided this is becoming more of a chore and something to feel guilty about not keeping up with. I'm out. Good luck everyone! :clap:
Last edited by linny on February 16th, 2020, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » January 1st, 2020, 10:53 am

Reserving my slot too :D As previously, no reading goal, I will just aim to be good about updating a 'oooh, really enjoyed that' list here.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » January 1st, 2020, 4:43 pm

Here is my spot! My goal last year was 50 books read or listened to, and I reached 45. Not too bad! My goal will be 50 books again.

Real Books with Real Pages

1. Princes at War by Deborah Cadbury
2. Inherit the Stars, by James P. Hogan
3. The Cruel Stars by John Birmingham

E-Books

The Gamma Sequence by Dan Alatorre
Rogue Elements by Dan Alatorre

Audio Books

The Life of Washington, Volume 1 by John Marshall
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
The Dust Flower by Basil King

Solo Projects Finished
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

mhhbook

Post by mhhbook » January 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm

I’ll sign up again this year. Reached my goal of 60 last year...just. This year I’m aiming for 52. Looking forward to listening to lots of LibriVox books.
Mary

“Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks.” – Dr. Seuss

Marsupial's Books

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » January 1st, 2020, 7:15 pm

In the past 5 months (Aug. - Dec.) I DPLed 9 complete books (plus parts of some others), & I read 1 PDF book. So according to that I'm setting my goal at 30 books for 2020. I know already that I've got some busy schedules coming up, so I'll be happy if I make my goal. But who has ever complained of over-accomplishment?! :wink:

Books/ ebooks:
1) ‘Tiger Lily and Other Stories’ by Julia Schayer

LV DPL’s:
1) ‘Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps’ by Johanna Spyri
2) ‘Cobwebs from a Library Corner’ by John Kendrick Bangs
3) ‘History of England in Words of One Syllable’ by Helen Pierson

LV audio books:
Last edited by RSlabaugh on February 16th, 2020, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Rosebud

My DPL List

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 1st, 2020, 10:09 pm

My goal is (again) to actually track what I read, and to read more. I should probably set a number, but really, just... more. My reading time has been slowly eaten away by other activities (mostly worthwhile), but I really want to claim it back.

This year, I won't be separating my list by month, or by which books are LV and which are not. I'm just going for total count.

Current reads:
  • Malcolm, by George MacDonald
  • The Roots of the Mountains, by William Morris
  • Gawain and the Green Knight, Tolkien's translation. (Yes, still. But the reason it's been taking so long is that I've been reading it with my husband, and we don't often have time to read together anymore. And when we do, we usually only get through a little bit.)
  • Christus Victor, by Gustaf Aulén
  • The Divine Comedy, by Dante. I'm doing this as a read-along with a group of friends. It'll probably take all year.
Finished:
  1. Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones. Light hearted magical fun. Sophie is a young woman who has a curse placed on her by a witch that turns her old and prompts her to leave home. She encounters a wizard and his fire demon, who have made some kind of compact between them which she must somehow break.
  2. Castle in the Air, by Diana Wynne Jones. Sequel to the above. It was not quite as fun or original as the first, in my opinion. Centers around a magic carpet/genie/Sultan/all of the tropes that go with that. But there was a rather fun twist at the end.
  3. Out of the Silent Planet, by C.S. Lewis. This was maybe my fourth time reading this book, or thereabouts. First in Lewis' Space Trilogy, it tells of Dr. Ransom and his unwitting journey to the planet called Malacandra by the inhabitants.
  4. House of Many Ways, by Diana Wynne Jones. Last of the trilogy, and maybe my favorite. Lots of fun magical shenanigans, a mystery to solve, and a truly horrifying (and, as far as I know, original) fairy-tale monster to defeat.
Last edited by mightyfelix on February 2nd, 2020, 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » January 2nd, 2020, 2:55 am

Hi,

I also have no goal.

HALF FINISHED:
ふしぎの国のアリス (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) by Lewis Carroll [Translator: Kitamura]
鷲は舞い降りた(完全版) (The Eagle Has Landed) by Jack Higgins [Translator: Kikuchi]
冷血 (In Cold Blood) by Truman Capote [Translator: Sasada]
O嬢の物語 (Story of O) by Pauline Réage [Translator: Suzuki]
シャーロック・ホームズの帰還 (The Return of Sherlock Holmes) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [Translator: Nobuhara]

FINISHED:
ロリータ (Lolita) by Vladimir Nabokov [Translator: Wakashima]
[ Lolita is wonderful! Women couldn't understand my wonder. I find myself in the story. Humbert Humbert is me. This is a great work indeed. Nabokov wrote a man. I suppose any man is spiritually like Humbert Humbert. (So, my second ID is Pervert Pervert!) I read this novel as David and Bathsheba story. (Honestly speaking, as CSCO and Chick story.) Please don't have a wrong idea. I'm not a criminal and Chick is a young adult woman. (And I am an old man.) We didn't travel together. We worked together at a store and I love her still. That's all. ]
[ I finished Lolita today. It's too beautiful to imitate and it's very rich. I looked at God (for love is God), at Satan, and at myself. Thanks a lot, Mr. Nabokov! It should become my old fellow. I could go along with imaginary Chick for life. (6 February, 2020)]

P.P. (or CSCO)
Last edited by CSCO on February 7th, 2020, 12:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic » January 16th, 2020, 4:54 pm

I'd be happy to read 35, although I never know where my head is going to be at. This year, I'm going to try to read seriously from one book each week rather than fretting about finishing them. Most of it is non-fiction to be nebulously referenced later, anyway.

I've already polished off two print books, half-finished from last year:
  • Capital is Dead: Is This Something Worse by McKenzie Wark. Good book about GREAT ideas, the transition of the ruling classes away from capitalism and towards vectoralism.
  • Race After Technology by Ruha Benjamin. Wonderful, about the ways technology is used to enforce racist policy and encode injustices.
I didn't read a print book this week, but I've been listening to the LV recording of Miss Maitland, Personal Secretary to finish off the Molly Babbitts trilogy. (LV will soon have all the books read, once I'm done editing The Black Eagle Mystery!)

And the next two weeks will be print books:
  • The Human Condition by Hannah Arendt
  • The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
Mike

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » January 17th, 2020, 11:56 am

I'm aiming to read 52 books (a book a week) again, and also have a goal of 52 graphic novels in 52 weeks. I include in my counting the books I read in full here either for recording or prooflistening, and full-length audiobooks I listen to. I don't count works under 80 or so pages as a full length work (I read a fair amount of self-published Kindle books and some of them are more like a magazine article).

I did manage to read 52 books last year though I neglected tracking them here -- I aim to do better this year!

I will edit and update this post through the year.

Colleen

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » January 20th, 2020, 4:21 pm

I'm going for 100 books this year. (I have lots of free time and I really should read more.) I've been getting more into journaling so that's what I've been doing more of, but I should read more...
~Rachel
"Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how." -Jane Austen
"Just because *you* have the emotional range of a teaspoon, Ron, doesn't mean everyone has." -Hermione Granger