Annoying words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

maxgal wrote: November 18th, 2020, 12:39 am Not really a word, but...
It's very annoying to have to fill in the blank for a year (e.g., "we moved to the area in 18____") or a place (e.g., "we had lived in _____shire for many years").
I won't say "blank" (as some suggest) because I think that sounds dumb.
And it sounds almost as dumb to make the blank a mumbled filler (e.g., "we moved to the area in 18mmm") -- which is what I do, because it doesn't sound quite as dumb as saying "blank."
A forceful murmur or growl or mmphh! does fit rather well when the poet or writer is avoiding saying a rude word with "____". Extra credit if you can make it work when he does it multiple times in the same sentence or line.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Anything written purposely in a "dialect" or "accent" -- especially when it's dialogue for a character that the author obviously thinks is stupid, or looks down upon...
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
andybeddy

Post by andybeddy »

my current annoying word is "statistics." Almost every time it crops up in a narration say "sadistics" I think there might have been one time I left it in for the finished take :twisted:
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

"Submission" and "submit" - I fuss over those until I drop the "b". My problem is even worse with the meaning of the words.

Peace be with you,
Sister
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

andybeddy wrote: November 18th, 2020, 1:50 am my current annoying word is "statistics." Almost every time it crops up in a narration say "sadistics" I think there might have been one time I left it in for the finished take :twisted:
OOO, you subversive Librivoxer... :lol:

I can relate to the "current" part... once one annoyer subsides, another steps right up.

As for "statistics," a very close second is "statistical" -- as when the newscasters and political commentators talk about this or that public opinion poll being in a "statistical tie." I keep expecting them to say either "sadistic" (which is amazingly accurate over here in 2020 USA...) or "testicle."
Louise
"every little breeze..."

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Monaxi wrote: November 18th, 2020, 8:57 am "Submission" and "submit" - I fuss over those until I drop the "b". My problem is even worse with the meaning of the words.
Yeah I get that for sure :lol:
I don’t do a hard b and I don’t drop it- it’s somewhere between the two, a very soft b, almost (but not quite) nonexistent :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

And, "familiarity."

Peace be with you,
Sister
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

I still think "peculiarly" is somewhere near the summit of annoyingness. Or annoyinggidity.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

British place names ending in "-bury," where some of them are pronounced "-berry" and others "-bree."
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 18th, 2020, 12:45 am
maxgal wrote: November 18th, 2020, 12:39 am Not really a word, but...
It's very annoying to have to fill in the blank for a year (e.g., "we moved to the area in 18____") or a place (e.g., "we had lived in _____shire for many years").
I won't say "blank" (as some suggest) because I think that sounds dumb.
And it sounds almost as dumb to make the blank a mumbled filler (e.g., "we moved to the area in 18mmm") -- which is what I do, because it doesn't sound quite as dumb as saying "blank."
A forceful murmur or growl or mmphh! does fit rather well when the poet or writer is avoiding saying a rude word with "____". Extra credit if you can make it work when he does it multiple times in the same sentence or line.

Chris
I remember one story where the character probably said "damn," but the author was so prudish that it was written as just a blank line.
I wanted to say "damn" (I really really did), but instead, I just paused for a split second -- and the blank rushed in to fill the void.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, I don't think it was the authors. I think it was the publishers and public. Remember, most of these books were written in the genteel Victorian era. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

TriciaG wrote: November 18th, 2020, 3:40 pm Oh, I don't think it was the authors. I think it was the publishers and public. Remember, most of these books were written in the genteel Victorian era. :lol:
Yeah, true enough. :mrgreen:
In fact, I could have sworn I had seen "damn" elsewhere in this author's (Arthur Conan Doyle) work.
Maybe the damn thing was released for damn publication sometime later than the blankety-blank blank one was.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The censors mostly seemed to have a healthy respect for hellfire hereafter, thus it was most often words of a blasphemous nature that they concerned themselves with.

Even the words which were euphemisms for such words. If you ever wondered growing up why the adjective “bloody” is de trop, it’s because it’s actually a corruption of the phrase “by our Lady”, referring of course to the Virgin Mary.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Linoleum.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

maxgal wrote: November 24th, 2020, 9:28 amLinoleum.
For us, that's a household word. :wink:

I'm sure in narrating it can be quite the tongue twister though, especially depending on the words surrounding it!! Good luck!
~Rosebud