Annoying words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

"Optics" as a synonym for "look" as a synonym for "appearance."
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

maxgal wrote: April 27th, 2021, 11:47 am "Optics" as a synonym for "look" as a synonym for "appearance."
I don't think I've ever seen this usage! :shock:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I hear it a lot: "We know what happened in the board room, but the optics look bad from a PR standpoint."
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

TriciaG wrote: April 27th, 2021, 1:27 pm I hear it a lot: "We know what happened in the board room, but the optics look bad from a PR standpoint."
Exactly.
This comes up a lot in the news, political news, where everyone is worried about PR.
Bad enough for people to say "It's a bad look" ... I still say variations of the perfectly good word "appearance."
(And don't get me started on "Let's take a deep dive" or "Let's unpack this")
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

...and while I'm ranting...

"Speak to" as a synonym for "Talk about."

"Dialogue around" as a synonym for "Talk about."
Louise
"every little breeze..."

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

"Lean into" and "live into" are phrases that I hear at church a lot these days. Still not entirely sure what is really meant by it.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

maxgal wrote: April 27th, 2021, 1:38 pm ...and while I'm ranting...

"Speak to" as a synonym for "Talk about."

"Dialogue around" as a synonym for "Talk about."
Haha! You obviously should move.

(Or is this all on TV?)
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

maxgal wrote: April 27th, 2021, 1:36 pm (And don't get me started on "Let's take a deep dive" or "Let's unpack this")
Oh, I am so ready for "unpack" in the metaphorical sense to fall out of fashion!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

I had no issue with the word until it became the subject of a scene in an an Academy Award-winning romantic comedy (enough clues yet?). The issue was about how to spell the word 'Conscience'. They ground on the fact that it is made up of two words (one prefix and one word, actually) 'con' and 'science'. Now whenever I read or hear that word, it's like someone hit the 'replay' button of that scene and then it becomes an 'earworm' until I can refocus on something (anything) else. :shock:
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Scarbo wrote: April 27th, 2021, 5:01 pm
maxgal wrote: April 27th, 2021, 1:36 pm (And don't get me started on "Let's take a deep dive" or "Let's unpack this")
Oh, I am so ready for "unpack" in the metaphorical sense to fall out of fashion!
It was a useful term in the academic sense when I was in grad school AND I do think the concept of digging into underlying meanings and implications is super important in these days of misinformation and disinformation and hot takes and glib takes everywhere, but yeah, overused.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Since Weird Al’s “Mission Statement” song, I’ve never been able to take buzzwords seriously.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
zachh

Post by zachh »

I realized when I recorded a chapter last Sunday that "little" always throws me in a sentence. I can say it fine by itself, but that isn't very useful.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I was going to nominate fissiparous, because I had to pronounce it like a first-grade teacher, lest the listener will think I'm mispronouncing "vociferous", but then I realized that it was just the last straw, coming as it did on top of annoying syntax and an annoying proposition...
I know not whether it may or may not be worth while to add that every passing word I have since thought fit to utter on any national or political question has been as wholly consistent with the principles which I then did my best to proclaim and defend as any apostasy from the faith of all republicans in the fundamental and final principle of union, voluntary if possible and compulsory if not, would have been ludicrous in the impudence of its inconsistency with those simple and irreversible principles. Monarchists and anarchists may be advocates of national dissolution and reactionary division: republicans cannot be. The first and last article of their creed is unity: the most grinding and crushing tyranny of a convention, a directory, or a despot, is less incompatible with republican faith than the fissiparous democracy of disunionists or communalists.
... but I don't have anyone else to blame for my choice of a solo project. :roll:

Michael
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kazbek wrote: May 30th, 2021, 11:28 am I was going to nominate fissiparous, because I had to pronounce it like a first-grade teacher, lest the listener will think I'm mispronouncing "vociferous", but then I realized that it was just the last straw, coming as it did on top of annoying syntax and an annoying proposition...
I know not whether it may or may not be worth while to add that every passing word I have since thought fit to utter on any national or political question has been as wholly consistent with the principles which I then did my best to proclaim and defend as any apostasy from the faith of all republicans in the fundamental and final principle of union, voluntary if possible and compulsory if not, would have been ludicrous in the impudence of its inconsistency with those simple and irreversible principles. Monarchists and anarchists may be advocates of national dissolution and reactionary division: republicans cannot be. The first and last article of their creed is unity: the most grinding and crushing tyranny of a convention, a directory, or a despot, is less incompatible with republican faith than the fissiparous democracy of disunionists or communalists.
... but I don't have anyone else to blame for my choice of a solo project. :roll:

Michael
Yowch! That paragraph is a killer! :shock:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: May 27th, 2021, 1:05 pm Since Weird Al’s “Mission Statement” song, I’ve never been able to take buzzwords seriously.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4

Cheers,
Chris
:lol: . Awesome!
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink: