Annoying words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Precipitately...ugh it took me TEN attempts to get that one out. Dude, just say "quickly" or "hastily" or, as we say here in the South, "right quick."

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

KevinS wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:26 pm
dronald wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:15 pm "Sects"

Reading mostly theology and church history, this word drives me nuts. The singular is easy but the plural sounds like a different word. I tried at least 12 times to say it right until I gave up and assumed it probably doesn't sound that bad to someone listening.
Say 'insects,' then drop the 'in.'
Oooh if you say it slowly or with the pause in the middle, it's an easy edit. Great tip!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Reading mostly theology and church history, this word drives me nuts. The singular is easy but the plural sounds like a different word. I tried at least 12 times to say it right until I gave up and assumed it probably doesn't sound that bad to someone listening.
Sounds the same as the slurred "sects" to me. I don't pronounce the T when I say "insects". *shrug*

I think it is one of those words that people will understand in context.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Another from the piece I'm editing == "shouldst" In this case, it's historic archaic language. Words like that or like "hither" "thither" etc. really irritate me in fiction where it's a stylistic choice to make it sound "old-timey" and it would be just as easy to use modern language.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:01 am

Sounds the same as the slurred "sects" to me. I don't pronounce the T when I say "insects". *shrug*

I think it is one of those words that people will understand in context.
Yes, that's the point. But this imagining removes, one hopes, the unwanted imagery. Unless you are deathly afraid of insects. That would be a problem!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hahahaha I’m with Tricia- I say insects..... not that clearly. :shock: Typical Californian, lazy pronounciation, I suppose :lol:

“Sects”, however, I pronounce pretty clearly with a break between the t and the s. If you say it carefully enough, it won’t sound wrong.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JayKitty76 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 2:18 pm “Sects”, however, I pronounce pretty clearly with a break between the t and the s. If you say it carefully enough, it won’t sound wrong.
hahaha! Well, I've tried for a couple of minutes now and I just can't pronounce it that way.
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

Oh "SLOUGH"! When you come across it unexpectedly and have to work out is it rhyming with "bough" (noun) or"tough" (verb)😕..."the slough of avowal" for goodness sake!!! Anne F
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

anneflebari wrote: February 11th, 2021, 3:34 pm Oh "SLOUGH"! When you come across it unexpectedly and have to work out is it rhyming with "bough" (noun) or"tough" (verb)😕..."the slough of avowal" for goodness sake!!! Anne F
Huh - I'd pronounce it to rhyme with "flu", if its context was a mire or swamp (such as the slough of despond in Bunyan). :lol:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

anneflebari wrote: February 11th, 2021, 3:34 pm Oh "SLOUGH"! When you come across it unexpectedly and have to work out is it rhyming with "bough" (noun) or"tough" (verb)😕..."the slough of avowal" for goodness sake!!! Anne F
I would rhyme it with 'off.' Haha!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

TriciaG wrote: February 11th, 2021, 3:49 pm
Huh - I'd pronounce it to rhyme with "flu", if its context was a mire or swamp (such as the slough of despond in Bunyan). :lol:
Had never come across "slew" pronunciation! But this character is definitely in Bunyan's slough (bough) of despond:) Guess she'll just have to slough (tough) it off ....thanks for the thoughts, English can be rough and now I've got a cough so that's enough!!! Can't believe I missed "dough"...just not thorough enough!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

This one took me forever to learn -- "slough" as a verb is "sluff" like sloughing off of dead skin cells. "Slough" as a noun is as you all said above "slew" or "sloo"...in fact when someone refers to a bunch of things as a "slew" they usually use this spelling ("She had a slew of problems") but I think it was originally meant to be "slough" like the slough of despond.

The varying pronunciations of "ough" must drive English as a second language learners batty. Makes me remember the Dr Seuss title "The Tough Coughs as He Ploughs the Dough"...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

"Cancel" and "culture" together... even worse than "political" and "correctness."
Thank the literary deities that LV materials almost certainly would never feature these odious pairings.

But I dream in dread of sects that gasped in the slough.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

"Of value." The concept indicated by the phrase is not inherently meretricious, but the doubled-up v sounds are properly vexing; either they slur together or I slow down with a jerk in a spot that does nothing to help comprehension....

I used to think of "slough" in the noun sense as rhyming with "bough" but have heard "slew" more recently... maybe it's a regional thing? I see both listed online. (I'm from New England...)
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.