Annoying words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

LikeManyWaters wrote: December 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm derisive vituperation
Been there. Done that.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

currently disgusted with:

Complimentarily
April
JT68

Post by JT68 »

Hither and Thither.

Run across these two a lot in these works. May have been the writing style for the time, in vogue, blah blah blah....here and there are much less tongue twisty :lol:

Try saying this a few times fast:

Hither and Thither they thronged.

Had that in a chapter, went bananas getting it.

Ill not go into the run-on sentences...OI!!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

indefatigable and indefatigably....argh!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

ColleenMc wrote: September 13th, 2020, 9:49 am indefatigable and indefatigably....argh!

Colleen
I can't even say that in my mind :lol: :help: It's something about these old books, they use really rich vocabulary that sadly has dropped out of modern use. I love the eloquence of like 19th century language, though, there's this beautiful flow to it (like Charles Dickens and Louisa May Alcott) that modern writers don't often have...
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

JayKitty76 wrote: September 14th, 2020, 3:32 pm
ColleenMc wrote: September 13th, 2020, 9:49 am indefatigable and indefatigably....argh!

Colleen
I can't even say that in my mind :lol: :help: It's something about these old books, they use really rich vocabulary that sadly has dropped out of modern use. I love the eloquence of like 19th century language, though, there's this beautiful flow to it (like Charles Dickens and Louisa May Alcott) that modern writers don't often have...
You should talk to me! Old books are pretty much all I read, so my vocabulary is likewise antiquated. And I have the sneaking suspicion that some people have no idea what I’m saying... :lol: probably a common LibriVoxer problem.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I have that problem, too. Sometimes I have to stop and ask myself how people say the thing I'm trying to say nowadays. Sometimes I forget to ask myself that, and then I use words that don't mean quite what they used to in ways they're no longer used. And then people give me weird looks.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: June 4th, 2019, 12:01 pm 'Often' gets me every time! Don't quite know what to do with the t.
Can’t believe no-one’s posted this G&S dialogue extract yet...

General. (aside) Hah! an idea! (aloud) And do you mean to say that you would deliberately rob me of these, the sole remaining props of my old age, and leave me to go through the remainder of my life unfriended, unprotected, and alone?

King. Well, yes, that’s the idea.

General. Tell me, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

Pirates. (disgusted) Oh, dash it all!

King. Here we are again!

General. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan?

King. Often!

General. Yes, orphan. Have you ever known what it is to be one?

King. I say, often.

Pirates. (disgusted) Often, often, often. (Turning away)

General. I don’t think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say “orphan”. As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word “orphan” to show that you understand me.

King. I didn’t repeat the word often.

General. Pardon me, you did indeed.

King. I only repeated it once.

General. True, but you repeated it.

King. But not often.

General. Stop! I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said “orphan”, did you mean “orphan” – a person who has lost his parents, or “often”, frequently?

King. Ah! I beg pardon – I see what you mean – frequently.

General. Ah! you said "often", frequently.

King. No, only once.

General. (irritated) Exactly – you said “often”, frequently, only once.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. I put it to the Australians on the forums that Jon English was the best Pirate King ever.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: September 18th, 2020, 3:12 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote: June 4th, 2019, 12:01 pm 'Often' gets me every time! Don't quite know what to do with the t.

General. (aside) Hah! an idea! (aloud) And do you mean to say that you would deliberately rob me of these, the sole remaining props of my old age, and leave me to go through the remainder of my life unfriended, unprotected, and alone?

King. Here we are again!

King. Often!

King. I say, often.

General. I don’t think we quite understand one another. I ask you, have you ever known what it is to be an orphan, and you say “orphan”. As I understand you, you are merely repeating the word “orphan” to show that you understand me.

King. But not often.

General. Stop! I think I see where we are getting confused. When you said “orphan”, did you mean “orphan” – a person who has lost his parents, or “often”, frequently?

King. No, only once.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. I put it to the Australians on the forums that Jon English was the best Pirate King ever.
I forgot about this. Yes, this is a great one.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

mightyfelix wrote: September 17th, 2020, 7:00 pm Sometimes I forget to ask myself that, and then I use words that don't mean quite what they used to in ways they're no longer used. And then people give me weird looks.
Oh my goodness I do this all the time :oops: Sometimes I have to Google a word to make sure it's "okay" to use....When I was younger I used the word "gay" a lot, meaning happy, but without realizing its modern context :lol: :oops:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: September 18th, 2020, 3:12 am

King. Here we are again!

King. Often!

King. I say, often.

King. But not often.

King. No, only once.

Cheers,
Chris

I love that scene! I remember that when I was in a G&S revue in high school, the guy playing the Pirate King would say "oftten," and the choir director had to instruct him to say "offen" (and not to use a rhotic R in "orphan") so that the joke would work.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Sometimes when the lines in an old hymn don't rhyme, if you observe the hymnwriter's surname and make the appropriate British regional accent adjustment, suddenly they do.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

My first solo required me to learn nearly every form of "calumny" and "superfluous."

Still tricky for me: "wickednesses", "corporealousness" and "dignity." And, of course, "peculiarly."

Peace be with you,
Sister
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Monaxi wrote: October 4th, 2020, 8:45 am And, of course, "peculiarly."
eww
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Differentiating audibly between "tortuous" and "torturous" is, well, the second one.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai