Home-schooled Students

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Locked
cowguy02
Posts: 611
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » May 31st, 2019, 8:46 pm

Hey!

looking around the forum I have discovered that a lot of us are home-schooled and in high school. If you fit this stereotype please reply! I like knowing :D
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

lymiewithpurpose
Posts: 1854
Joined: January 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Location: California

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 31st, 2019, 9:05 pm

I’ve talked to a few people, I go to an online public charter school so I’m halfway into that category.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

Win2017
Posts: 197
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Location: Lethbridge, AB Canada

Post by Win2017 » June 4th, 2019, 10:03 pm

I homeschooled till 15, when I told my mom that algebra was not going to help me weed potatoes or train my horse. She totally agreed. She had a university education and told me it was bunk, that you have to learn what they want you to. That if I want to truly help the world then I should put my energy into revitalizing the home and the strength that women can have there. That we don’t need to compete with men as we’re actually better at helping them. For every great man there’s a virtuous woman. I think that is the mindset that homeschooling has helped me to get. Simplicity, really...

However, now, two years later, I don’t have time to record anymore. You would not believe how busy I am (the list would be extensive) and I realized I was making people wait to long. Maybe my horizons have grown... which is not a bad thing. I did start to record a book for personal use, and maybe once the insanity of summer turns into the rest of winter, I could get back to it. It’s a book by one of my favourite authors, Dr Joseph Nicolosi. I know it’s a touchy subject but it’s really the root of women’s frustration and men’s anger. If I’m going to be a truly helpful woman then the psychology of our relations is the only place to start.

Like I say... I was homeschooled, now the home teaches me. Teaches me that I can do nothing without the Cross. I am a daughter, sister, gardener, animal keeper/horse trainer, homekeeper, psychologist,etc, and learning always to know the sin of the day and to be broken over it. And that this world is not our home.

I think that all sums me up. You asked... :lol:
Feel free to ask me anything more, as I assure you I am one of the most talkative/interesting people you’ll ever know. (I don’t mean that proudly) :D
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM

cowguy02
Posts: 611
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 3rd, 2019, 10:52 pm

Win2017 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 10:03 pm
I homeschooled till 15, when I told my mom that algebra was not going to help me weed potatoes or train my horse. She totally agreed. She had a university education and told me it was bunk, that you have to learn what they want you to. That if I want to truly help the world then I should put my energy into revitalizing the home and the strength that women can have there. That we don’t need to compete with men as we’re actually better at helping them. For every great man there’s a virtuous woman. I think that is the mindset that homeschooling has helped me to get. Simplicity, really...

However, now, two years later, I don’t have time to record anymore. You would not believe how busy I am (the list would be extensive) and I realized I was making people wait to long. Maybe my horizons have grown... which is not a bad thing. I did start to record a book for personal use, and maybe once the insanity of summer turns into the rest of winter, I could get back to it. It’s a book by one of my favourite authors, Dr Joseph Nicolosi. I know it’s a touchy subject but it’s really the root of women’s frustration and men’s anger. If I’m going to be a truly helpful woman then the psychology of our relations is the only place to start.

Like I say... I was homeschooled, now the home teaches me. Teaches me that I can do nothing without the Cross. I am a daughter, sister, gardener, animal keeper/horse trainer, homekeeper, psychologist,etc, and learning always to know the sin of the day and to be broken over it. And that this world is not our home.

I think that all sums me up. You asked... :lol:
Feel free to ask me anything more, as I assure you I am one of the most talkative/interesting people you’ll ever know. (I don’t mean that proudly) :D
That last sentence just abuts sums up my goals in life :D You sound like a very interesting person!
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

Win2017
Posts: 197
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Location: Lethbridge, AB Canada

Post by Win2017 » July 5th, 2019, 10:47 am

Yeah.. Extension is just the beginning of loving others. Openness and sacrifice must be visible now for an entrance into heaven. Sadly, your response was weak. This world IS our home when we don’t care and lose our lives to build up others into the fullness of Christ.
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM

plaidsicle
Posts: 828
Joined: December 17th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Post by plaidsicle » July 5th, 2019, 11:02 am

Win2017 wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 10:47 am
Yeah.. Extension is just the beginning of loving others. Openness and sacrifice must be visible now for an entrance into heaven. Sadly, your response was weak. This world IS our home when we don’t care and lose our lives to build up others into the fullness of Christ.
um, what? whose response?
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31837
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » July 5th, 2019, 6:13 pm

OK folks - LibriVox operates by respecting others views on politics and religion without either attempting to change them or deriding them . Let us all keep it that way.

Anne

KevinS
Posts: 4189
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » July 5th, 2019, 6:23 pm

annise wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 6:13 pm
OK folks - LibriVox operates by respecting others views on politics and religion without either attempting to change them or deriding them . Let us all keep it that way.

Anne
Whom are you cautioning? I think we're just confused.
"E agora, José?"

Elizabby
Posts: 9155
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » July 7th, 2019, 3:21 am

Win2017 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 10:03 pm
I homeschooled till 15...

I am a daughter, sister, gardener, animal keeper/horse trainer, homekeeper, psychologist,etc,
Sweetie, if you didn’t finish high school, don’t know algebra and think a university education is “bunk” then you’re no psychologist. True psychology is a scientific discipline which requires not only algebra but also quite a lot of statistics “rats and stats” as we used to say! I’ve only done a year of psychology myself as part of my medical degree, but my mother is a professor of psychology - her PhD was in stress and coping mechanisms, which is quite topical currently!

Though I gotta admit it doesn’t help with the weeding potatoes. My hubby does that on the weekends he’s not on call for the hospital. (He’s a cancer surgeon, and yes, that requires both algebra and a university degree.)

Just for your interest, I’m a daughter, sister, wife, mother, doctor, university professor, crocheter, choir leader, audiobook maker, Bible study leader and deacon/treasurer of my church. A university education in my opinion makes me more fit for the work that I do, both in my family and church. There’s a wider world of service out there if you are prepared to broaden your horizons a bit further!

cowguy02
Posts: 611
Joined: July 11th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Contact:

Post by cowguy02 » July 8th, 2019, 8:39 am

I see both of your points. And I mostly agree with both of you. I belive it’s really just what the Lord calls you to. In my experience so far God has always prepared me to do the work he has intended form me.
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

Win2017
Posts: 197
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Location: Lethbridge, AB Canada

Post by Win2017 » July 8th, 2019, 11:02 am

Elizabby wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 3:21 am

Sweetie, if you didn’t finish high school, don’t know algebra and think a university education is “bunk” then you’re no psychologist. True psychology is a scientific discipline which requires not only algebra but also quite a lot of statistics “rats and stats” as we used to say! I’ve only done a year of psychology myself as part of my medical degree, but my mother is a professor of psychology - her PhD was in stress and coping mechanisms, which is quite topical currently!

Though I gotta admit it doesn’t help with the weeding potatoes. My hubby does that on the weekends he’s not on call for the hospital. (He’s a cancer surgeon, and yes, that requires both algebra and a university degree.)

Just for your interest, I’m a daughter, sister, wife, mother, doctor, university professor, crocheter, choir leader, audiobook maker, Bible study leader and deacon/treasurer of my church. A university education in my opinion makes me more fit for the work that I do, both in my family and church. There’s a wider world of service out there if you are prepared to broaden your horizons a bit further!
“Education is a bringing out of what is there and giving it the power of expression, not packing in what does not belong.” O Chambers
I understand it’s threatening, but you have to be honest that it hasn’t worked. Childhood disease rates, suicide rates, drug abuse, church decline, plummeting university male attendance rates, unsustainable population birth rates... We failed. Rome has fallen yet again. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world... Observing, being present, asking questions, being hurt, love that prefers the other, Deborah, Jael, Elizabeth, Anna, Mary. Women were created to be the alarms and helpers to men for all this. To obey is better that sacrifice. A broken spirit and contrite heart is the only legitimate qualification. God calls us to repent and revenge all disobedience with obedience to prepare the way of the Lord. Rev 3:14-22

The truth is, that this thread is only in response to a man, to helping him to be great. That is our job and glory. That there’s fence-riding and still no fruit, proves my point. ‘I must be about my fathers business’, a daughter of Job
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM

Win2017
Posts: 197
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Location: Lethbridge, AB Canada

Post by Win2017 » July 8th, 2019, 11:04 am

cowguy02 wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 8:39 am
I see both of your points. And I mostly agree with both of you. I belive it’s really just what the Lord calls you to. In my experience so far God has always prepared me to do the work he has intended form me.
It depends who you’re trying represent? There hasn’t even been a hint of, Abraham, Joseph, David, Daniel, Luke, Paul, John, the Holy Spirit... This generation wants you a coddled commodity. The fellow homeschooler, you asked after, bleeding on the road is the work in front of you.
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 43183
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » July 8th, 2019, 11:08 am

As this thread has strayed from its original topic (who here is home-schooled) and is venturing into contentious issues, I am locking it.

While we are a community and inevitably have social interaction, we are a community with a purpose: to make audiobooks. Discussions that venture into politics, religion, and related issues almost always lead to negativity and hurt feelings, and often lead to hindering our purpose of making audiobooks. Therefore, we greatly curtail such discussion topics.

Thank you for participating, and we'll see y'all in project threads. ;)

Locked