My lung disease

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 16th, 2019, 1:29 pm

I heard, for the first time, sound of my lung disease in a recording I did last night. (I think I'll be able to filter it out. We'll see.) I was very tired and maybe that's why the problem appeared and I will begin to use an inhaler before long sessions.

I would ask, though, that when things get annoying---or distracting--someone will have the courage/compassion to tell me when enough is enough. It's only a matter of time, though I hope the inhaler will do its wonders for quite some length of time.

When it is time, I can turn to something as helpful as PLing or editing or cataloging or serve in some other way.

Nothing to fret about, so no messages of solace, please. I am most certainly not dead.
E agora, José?

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » May 18th, 2019, 9:46 am

I've just finished a PL of one of your sections, the first one of your recordings that I've heard, and I didn't hear anything unusual.

In general, as I PL, if I do hear unusual sounds, I ask myself on a case by case basis whether or not it's disruptive/loud/annoying enough to warrant rerecording, and point it out to the reader if I think it is. Sometimes I'm able to identify what the noise is, and sometimes not. Sometimes I think it's not bad enough to rerecord, but I still mention it in case the reader might be able to quickly identify and eliminate the noise. Sometimes they can; sometimes they can't. I've never compared notes with other PLers, but I suppose that most folks follow more or less the same kind of guidelines.

All this is to say, that I think you can safely rely on your proof listener(s) to let you know if they're hearing anything in your recordings that is really detracting from listening. But as you point out, there are also many other ways to contribute at LV besides reading. :)
Devorah Allen

Readers wanted for:
Dramatic Reading of Doctor Dolittle's Post Office

I'm starting a new job on October 7! I'm so excited! :9: The downside is, even less recording time. :( But I am still around!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 18th, 2019, 10:41 am

mightyfelix wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 9:46 am
I've just finished a PL of one of your sections, the first one of your recordings that I've heard, and I didn't hear anything unusual.

In general, as I PL, if I do hear unusual sounds, I ask myself on a case by case basis whether or not it's disruptive/loud/annoying enough to warrant rerecording, and point it out to the reader if I think it is. Sometimes I'm able to identify what the noise is, and sometimes not. Sometimes I think it's not bad enough to rerecord, but I still mention it in case the reader might be able to quickly identify and eliminate the noise. Sometimes they can; sometimes they can't. I've never compared notes with other PLers, but I suppose that most folks follow more or less the same kind of guidelines.

All this is to say, that I think you can safely rely on your proof listener(s) to let you know if they're hearing anything in your recordings that is really detracting from listening. But as you point out, there are also many other ways to contribute at LV besides reading. :)
All good to hear! Thank you!
E agora, José?

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » May 22nd, 2019, 11:40 pm

One option is to put a comment in your signature line that you WANT to be told about funny sounds in your recordings, over and above the usual PL comments. Lots of people speaking English as an additional language do this, because pronunciation correction is not usually part of standard PLing.

Actually, I might do this myself - my lungs haven't been the best lately either, and unfortunately no inhaler is likely to help!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 23rd, 2019, 3:23 am

Elizabby wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:40 pm
One option is to put a comment in your signature line that you WANT to be told about funny sounds in your recordings, over and above the usual PL comments. Lots of people speaking English as an additional language do this, because pronunciation correction is not usually part of standard PLing.

Actually, I might do this myself - my lungs haven't been the best lately either, and unfortunately no inhaler is likely to help!
My best wishes for you and a hope that both our breathing will, if not improve, will not grow more labored.
E agora, José?