Logic Puzzles [FORUM GAME]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Both answers would work, I suppose it depends whether "whose horse comes second" means second horse or second living thing.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Ok, I'll try these.
tovarisch wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 4:31 pm Three guys got locked in a really deep basement room and needed to get out. The only way out was a window right under the ceiling. They decided that they will stand on one another's shoulders and try to reach for it. The tallest (and probably the strongest) guy stood next to the wall under the window, then the middle guy climbed on the shoulders of the first, and then the shortest of the three (probably because he was the lightest) climbed up, but could not reach the window - needed just a couple inches more... What should they do to solve the problem?
I'm more confused about this. Maybe have them jump? Or dig a pile of dirt or something? No idea.
tovarisch wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 4:31 pm Two knights vied for a princess' hand in marriage. The king, the princess' father, told them to come on a specific day, together, and the one whose horse will come second will get the girl. So the knights were puzzled and slowly were making their way towards the castle. On the road they met a sage, told him their situation and asked for advice. He told them to do one thing, they did it, took their leave of him, and went ahead at full gallop. What did the sage tell them to do?
Ok, just a guess here, but have them get off their horses and go in first? Don't know for sure.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Second horse. Did something, went full gallop afterwards. Those are your clues.

No jumping. Guys of different height.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

OK, seems like no takers...

The sage told the knights to exchange horses (i.e. every knight will ride the other's horse).

The guys in the basement need to put the taller one on top - his arms are likely longer and he'll reach the window.
tovarisch
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

tovarisch wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:11 am The sage told the knights to exchange horses (i.e. every knight will ride the other's horse).
Ooooh, that took me a second to understand there. That makes sense, but is rather complicated :lol:.
tovarisch wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:11 am The guys in the basement need to put the taller one on top - his arms are likely longer and he'll reach the window.
What about the poor guy on the bottom? Won't he collapse from the weight :lol:?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 6:40 am
tovarisch wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:11 am The sage told the knights to exchange horses (i.e. every knight will ride the other's horse).
Ooooh, that took me a second to understand there. That makes sense, but is rather complicated :lol:.
tovarisch wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 5:11 am The guys in the basement need to put the taller one on top - his arms are likely longer and he'll reach the window.
What about the poor guy on the bottom? Won't he collapse from the weight :lol:?
Well, maybe if they put the medium guy on the bottom and the small guy in the middle, it'd be better. :wink:

Good puzzles, Tovarisch! Any more, anybody? :wink:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

You and a colleague have just taken over a large company and are about to fire the present board. Before entering the boardroom to meet the directors you agree that one of you will become Chairman, the other the Deputy. The decision is left to luck but you agree that whoever ends up firing the last man will become the Deputy. Offering your colleague the opportunity to start, you take turns firing any single person or any two adjacent people. The question is, are you a loser or are you really the right man to be the new Chairman?
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Foon

Post by Foon »

JayKitty76 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 10:46 am You and a colleague have just taken over a large company and are about to fire the present board. Before entering the boardroom to meet the directors you agree that one of you will become Chairman, the other the Deputy. The decision is left to luck but you agree that whoever ends up firing the last man will become the Deputy. Offering your colleague the opportunity to start, you take turns firing any single person or any two adjacent people. The question is, are you a loser or are you really the right man to be the new Chairman?
Do you know how many people there are in the board?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Foon wrote: April 16th, 2019, 11:09 am
JayKitty76 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 10:46 am You and a colleague have just taken over a large company and are about to fire the present board. Before entering the boardroom to meet the directors you agree that one of you will become Chairman, the other the Deputy. The decision is left to luck but you agree that whoever ends up firing the last man will become the Deputy. Offering your colleague the opportunity to start, you take turns firing any single person or any two adjacent people. The question is, are you a loser or are you really the right man to be the new Chairman?
The number itself doesn't matter. The trick is that this certain technique works no matter what number of people there are...
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

JayKitty76 wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:10 pm ------------------------------------
Read this sequence, then figure out what comes next:
O T T F F S S E N
------------------------------------
JayKitty76 wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:26 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:16 pm T comes next :D. Don't have any good ones though :lol:
Yup, that was easy, wasn't it! That's because I typed it wrong :D :lol:
Huh??? *scratches head*
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

I can't even get past the first question!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Twinkle88 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 5:23 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:10 pm ------------------------------------
Read this sequence, then figure out what comes next:
O T T F F S S E N
------------------------------------
JayKitty76 wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:26 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:16 pm T comes next :D. Don't have any good ones though :lol:
Yup, that was easy, wasn't it! That's because I typed it wrong :D :lol:
Huh??? *scratches head*
Twinkle88 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 5:30 pm I can't even get past the first question!
:lol: :lol: OK, I'll give you what I was supposed to type:

Reading left from right, can you supply the next two letters of this simple mnemonic?
O T T
F F S
S _ _
(cover your screen and see if you can figure it out first. Then look way down for the answer.)

(E)ight (N)ine. The first letters are the numbers 1-7, i.e., (O)ne, (T)wo, (T)hree...you get the picture. Now you see why I can't trust my faulty memory- I made the puzzle WAY too easy in the first place! :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Foon

Post by Foon »

JayKitty76 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 11:10 am
Foon wrote: April 16th, 2019, 11:09 am
The number itself doesn't matter. The trick is that this certain technique works no matter what number of people there are...
Assuming that your colleague is smart, I think you are probably just a loser. He'll always be able to set you up for a loss by going first.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Answer:
Consider the seating around the table as being around a circle. Your colleague does the first firing and you can break the circle at the opposite point to leave two exactly equal segments. You then simply follow exactly what he does but on the opposite segment. When you near the end, if two people are left in each segment and your colleague removes his two, you simply remove one of yours, thus leaving him the last man to sack. If, however, he removes only one of his then you remove both of yours, thereby still leaving him the last man to sack.

It sounds pretty complicated but it's not, if you think about it. So plainly, the answer is: Yes, you can be the Chairman if you so choose- but only if you play your cards right.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

That answer assumes that it's possible at a glance to know where the middle is and whether to fire one or two in order to split the table into two "equal segments". Such ability is not in the description.
tovarisch