Logic Puzzles [FORUM GAME]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 1st, 2019, 12:26 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 12:25 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 30th, 2019, 3:14 pm

The answer to the version with the saw is, "you look in the mirror and see what you saw, saw the table in half, two halves make a whole and you escape through the hole". It's easier to explain verbally as you don't have the spelling differences but you can get the sense.
Yup! Pardon the last post, I did not see these earlier posts yet.
You forgot to include the saw :lol:. That's what may have been a bit confusing :D
Well, the pun is, 'you look in the mirror, you see what you saw'. Then you take the saw and cut the table in half...so yeah, I believe my original post was correct. :lol: The saw is not included in the original riddle.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

JayKitty76 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 12:27 pm Well, the pun is, 'you look in the mirror, you see what you saw'. Then you take the saw and cut the table in half...so yeah, I believe my original post was correct. The saw is not included in the original riddle.
Ah, gotcha. When I've heard it before it's always included the saw. But maybe we've heard it differently, riddles have so many variations :lol:
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Another logic puzzle:

A family gathering consists of father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, and aunt. But there are only two men and two women present. They have a common ancestor, and there has been no consanguine marriage. Explain how this is possible.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

JayKitty76 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 1:27 pm Another logic puzzle:

A family gathering consists of father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, and aunt. But there are only two men and two women present. They have a common ancestor, and there has been no consanguine marriage. Explain how this is possible.
Ok, lets see if I can get this. So there are a man and woman who are brother and sister. They each have a kid, one of them has a boy and one a girl. Is this right?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 1st, 2019, 1:38 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: April 1st, 2019, 1:27 pm Another logic puzzle:

Ok, lets see if I can get this. So there are a man and woman who are brother and sister. They each have a kid, one of them has a boy and one a girl. Is this right?
Yup, exactly right! Good job figuring that one out! :clap:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Two men go into the same bar and order the same drink, scotch on the rocks. Both of their drinks were exactly the same. One man downed his glass immediately, went home, and woke up feeling perfectly normal the next day. The other man sat at the bar chatting with the barkeeper and other patrons for an hour and a half, sipping his drink slowly. He died on the way home. What happened?

(Yes or no questions are permitted, if you wish.)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

The ice was poisoned.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

tovarisch wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 12:50 pm The ice was poisoned.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Hmm...did the barkeeper do something to the drink? Or is it something more scientific...does it have to do with the way the chemical formulas in alcohol are made?
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

tovarisch wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 12:50 pm The ice was poisoned.
Gold star for you!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Question: How may we prove which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

The chicken of course. Eggs cannot come at all, they are laid. :) Although I do not know for sure...

Here are mine.

From an old book:

Three guys got locked in a really deep basement room and needed to get out. The only way out was a window right under the ceiling. They decided that they will stand on one another's shoulders and try to reach for it. The tallest (and probably the strongest) guy stood next to the wall under the window, then the middle guy climbed on the shoulders of the first, and then the shortest of the three (probably because he was the lightest) climbed up, but could not reach the window - needed just a couple inches more... What should they do to solve the problem?

And another (if you already know it, let others try):

Two knights vied for a princess' hand in marriage. The king, the princess' father, told them to come on a specific day, together, and the one whose horse will come second will get the girl. So the knights were puzzled and slowly were making their way towards the castle. On the road they met a sage, told him their situation and asked for advice. He told them to do one thing, they did it, took their leave of him, and went ahead at full gallop. What did the sage tell them to do?

ETA, sorry, in case it wasn't obvious, the knights were on horseback when going to the king's castle...
tovarisch
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Go to a restaurant and order a roast chicken and scrambled eggs.

The eggs always come first.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Two knights vied for a princess' hand in marriage. The king, the princess' father, told them to come on a specific day, together, and the one whose horse will come second will get the girl. So the knights were puzzled and slowly were making their way towards the castle. On the road they met a sage, told him their situation and asked for advice. He told them to do one thing, they did it, took their leave of him, and went ahead at full gallop. What did the sage tell them to do?
Not met this one but I'd say wise old sage told them someone else was ahead of them :D

Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

...and the sage told them to hurry up, eh?
tovarisch
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I don’t know about the sage, but I would’ve ridden to just outside the castle, walked in, let the other guy ride in, then whistled for my horse to follow.

Because the king said the winner was the guy whose horse came in second.