Don't you love....

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
linny

Post by linny »

philchenevert wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:41 pm I love when a brand new LV person struggles through their 1 minute test with me and after multiple tries, finally gets that OK to jump in and record. A very nice feeling for me and I presume for them. I also love when a new person tries their first recording in one of my projects and also finally gets the PL OK. I know they feel a thrill and it's nice to be a part of that. My imagination pictures them looking eagerly through Readers Wanted with their self confidence going up all the time. Image Yea, that's nice.
:9: :9: :9:
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

philchenevert wrote: May 14th, 2020, 4:41 pm I also love when a new person tries their first recording in one of my projects and also finally gets the PL OK. I know they feel a thrill and it's nice to be a part of that. My imagination pictures them looking eagerly through Readers Wanted with their self confidence going up all the time. Image Yea, that's nice.
YES!!!
Gavenport as DPL did this with me for my first recording nearly a year ago, "The Transfer" in GhoHor 034.
We went back & forth several times, and I'm sure there were a few :roll: on his end...
As I said to him when it finally was PL OK:

Unbelievable!
I was ready to give up so many times.
Take it from a truly technophobic Luddite: You have NO IDEA how gratifying this is.
Thanks for all your help and patience.

Every aspect of LV -- hardware, software, tutorials, forum navigation, uploading, techno-jargon, etc etc etc -- was a nearly vertical learning curve.
But "nevertheless, she persisted" ... with the invaluable help and encouragement of a great many generous LVers.
I'm still a technophobic Luddite, but I'm a bit better at wrangling the logistics by now.

...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

When you have a new recording setup and decide to test it, and you realize that you've checked so many one-minute tests that you can rattle off the Peter Piper test script without even thinking! :lol:
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

When you’re Librivox signature looks just how you wanted it to after an HOUR of struggling with it. :D
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

... how you don't have to get all dressed up and fix your hair to come to LibriVox? :lol: Or am I the only one that's really that lazy? :roll:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

mightyfelix wrote: June 27th, 2020, 3:12 pm ... how you don't have to get all dressed up and fix your hair to come to LibriVox? :lol: Or am I the only one that's really that lazy? :roll:
Nope if that's the case we're lazy together :lol: I've always loved that about LibriVox. But then of course I can't show up sick because my voice will sound terrible :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
linny

Post by linny »

...when a job you think you will enjoy basically falls into your lap?

Starting next week I will be teaching at the local state college a few hours a day with their GED program. I haven't worked since I finished my MBA almost 2 years ago. With an undergrad in Healthcare I thought I would land in a medical facility but this just sounded too fun to resist.

Fingers crossed. :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 7:31 am ...when a job you think you will enjoy basically falls into your lap?

Starting next week I will be teaching at the local state college a few hours a day with their GED program. I haven't worked since I finished my MBA almost 2 years ago. With an undergrad in Healthcare I thought I would land in a medical facility but this just sounded too fun to resist.

Fingers crossed. :D
Wonderful! Congratulations!

I've always thought I would land in a medical facility, too, but, in my case, on the wrong side of a locked door.
linny

Post by linny »

KevinS wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 8:41 am I've always thought I would land in a medical facility, too, but, in my case, on the wrong side of a locked door.
Thank you, Kevin!

Every day I don't end up in a straight jacket is another day I fooled them. :lol:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Has anyone else used their LV skills outside of LV?

I just recorded our church's accessibility policy (required by law) and will burn it to multiple CDs for those who cannot read printed material. :9:

In the past, I've also helped produce the speaking parts for a puppet show. (We used my mic and laptop, and the "talent" recorded their lines. I edited out the flubs, etc.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I parlayed my proof listening experience here into a paid gig via Upwork that involved prooflistening en entire solo recording of the Quran, word perfect.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

TriciaG wrote: October 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm Has anyone else used their LV skills outside of LV?
I created a project for my STEAM class that involved writing a radio commercial, recording it, and then editing it. It was great fun and very entertaining to listen to the finished commercials. I teach middle school so you can imagine what they might have sounded like :lol:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I realize I post pretty often to the "Don't you hate..." topic, usually venting about things that interrupt recording, so I decided if I complain there I'm going to balance it by posting something I love.

So....don't you love when you find a short story that is just delightful, hidden away and forgotten in an old magazine and probably never collected in a book or anthology anywhere, and you just can't wait to record it?

I found one of those last night, and it was hard not to jump right out of bed and come record it!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Bookerina

Post by Bookerina »

Well well... Yes it is always easier to find negativity around us, than share to positive things :lol: .
Today I had a wonderful ride with my horse. That's definitely enough to bring a big smile to my face and my day.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

mightyfelix wrote: June 27th, 2020, 3:12 pm ... how you don't have to get all dressed up and fix your hair to come to LibriVox? :lol: Or am I the only one that's really that lazy? :roll:
It's not laziness; it's dedication. 8-)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.