How to say edited OR rather the fun way we say words

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Say the word "Edited", 10 times.

How do you say it? I know I'm not saying it right, I say it like "edided". Do you pronounce it with a "t" or "d"? :?:
Last edited by ej400 on March 13th, 2019, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I say it with a half d half t
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I think this in large part depends on your regional accent. Most Americans tend to be rather lazy with t sounds, especially those at the ends or middles of words. This isn't the case with all English speakers.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

No matter how you say it, the editor will edit it.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

realisticspeakers wrote: ↑March 11th, 2019, 12:06 pm No matter how you say it, the editor will edit it.
:lol: :lol: :D
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

ej400 wrote: ↑March 11th, 2019, 10:56 am Say the word "Edited", 10 times.

How do you say it? I know I'm not saying it right, I say it like "edided". Do you pronounce it with a "t" or "d"? :?:
Yes, I say it like 'edided' too. (I can't really say 'edited' 10 times, since I have an issue with stuttering on vowel words especially, but of course it trips me up.) I usually say it quickly, so I can get through it without stumbling, so yes, for me it's more like 'edided'.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My difficulty is with words like ask and task - I automatically say aks and taks and hear it and have to correct it. But I've noticed listening to books that I'm not the only one :D

Anne
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Now try saying "social security". Did you say "so-shal" or "so-sal"? :mrgreen:
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Boomcoach wrote: ↑March 12th, 2019, 11:49 am Now try saying "social security". Did you say "so-shal" or "so-sal"? :mrgreen:
I say it 'so-shal' I've actually never heard it pronounced 'so-sal' 8-) I didn't know people might pronounce it like that!
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑March 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Boomcoach wrote: ↑March 12th, 2019, 11:49 am Now try saying "social security". Did you say "so-shal" or "so-sal"? :mrgreen:
I say it 'so-shal' I've actually never heard it pronounced 'so-sal' 8-) I didn't know people might pronounce it like that!
I have never heard anyone mispronounce the word "social" when said on its own, but for many people "social security" ends up as "sosal security". It was pointed out to me once, and now I can't help noticing it when it happens!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Boomcoach wrote: ↑March 12th, 2019, 12:59 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑March 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm
I have never heard anyone mispronounce the word "social" when said on its own, but for many people "social security" ends up as "sosal security". It was pointed out to me once, and now I can't help noticing it when it happens!
Haha, that makes sense. I can imagine that happening :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's all part of language simplification - it is easier to say 2 syllables than 3 and some sounds are easier to make :D Surely it should really be 3 syllables so-see-al ? But them I'm Australian and we shorten all words until they are 1 syllable, then we add -ey or -o to them.

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Actually, with me it comes out more as β€œso-shull”.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Pardon the probably stupid question, but since I have two residents of the Sun-burned Land available, I have to ask if there’s a strong regional difference between the speech of a Sydney and a Melbourne resident. Curious minds want to know. :D

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I end up saying social, more like "Soh-shill", with the "So" part more stressed because of my Minnesotan accent.