Sparkler thread for LV projects

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
jedialonza

Post by jedialonza »

This is a meeting place for any Sparklers (transfers from the SparkLife community) who have migrated to LibriVox.

Feel free to reintroduce yourselves here, catch up with one another, and discuss future school/life/LibriVox plans.

Sparkle on,
*salutes
-Jedi
AJ
redundercover

Post by redundercover »

DJ Windex here! I'll be using Red's account until I can get one of my own verified.
RoseByAnotherName

Post by RoseByAnotherName »

I have arrived. And also, oooh this site has emojis. :wink: :wink: :lol: 8-) :) :D :D

-I_love_kittens turned RoseByAnotherName
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Pardon my total ignorance but what exactly is Sparkler and why are you joining here - I'm puzzled, not judgemental at the moment :D

Anne
jedialonza

Post by jedialonza »

Hi, Anne!

Sparklers are a name that people who comment[ed] on the SparkNotes blog call themselves!

Unfortunately, that community/blog (known as SparkLife) is being taken down, and some of us are trying to keep in contact on other mutual sites. LV is one of those sites, but not everyone will have the opportunity to exchange LV usernames before SL is taken down; hence this thread. Since I'm one of the elder Sparklers and will likely have the most available volunteer hours (for the time being), I'm quasi-on-top-of keeping everyone together in the transition.
AJ
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

:hmm: This is probably not a good choice, we really are a working site that's moderated fairly strongly to keep it family friendly and our ideas of what is family friendly probably will not match yours :D
And most of our forums are project orientated, we do have this off-topic one but it's mainly used for the working members' hobbies or posts about audiobooks

Anne
jedialonza

Post by jedialonza »

I'm not sure what aspect of our interaction implied that we are not a family-friendly group of people.

To reiterate: we frequented SparkNotes, a site which helps people understand literature. The name "Sparkler" comes from there, if that is what threw you off (no, we did not name ourselves after fireworks :wink: ). The site is shutting down its interactive components because they want to rebrand, not because the readerbase wasn't being family-friendly.
LV is about making free literature accessible. We are on board with this mission, we want to support it, and we wouldn't be here if we didn't plan on respecting it.

I (nor the folks I'm trying to gather in this thread) do not expect the LV community to replace the site and community we left. We are simply trying to achieve two ends with one means--that is, keep in contact and find a new pro-education and creative cause.

I wasn't planning to put personal information out here, but rest assured: I am a legal adult, and am/have been a responsible and respectful community member in various forums. I have a dual-thesis literary master's degree and a background in education, I joined LV primarily to volunteer as I'm able (I'm job hunting and working through some health issues; I can and will spend that time with books), and I can vouch for these other volunteers. They are good people.

All I want to do with this thread is make sure that they find each other so they have familiar faces in the LV forums.
AJ
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great - that's what I wanted to know - I was completely unfamiliar with that information and couldn't find it on the internet - possibly because I tend to get Australian results often.
It's unusual for anyone to start off in the off topic forum, no reason why you can't though. Welcome to LibriVox.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear that your community is shut down. At least you got fair warning. When mine was dissolved a number of years ago, it happened pretty much over night, and not even the moderators knew about this... :shock:

Anyway, about this:
LV is about making free literature accessible.
Well... our mission is much more moderate:
The LibriVox objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet.
Okay, maybe not "moderate". Let's call it "more narrow". :lol:

And as Anne said above, this is more like a workplace. We don't seem to chat much, really, not even about the books we produce. At least twice, we've tried to establish a "LibriVox AudioBookClub" and it failed spectacularly, for no obvious reason. :hmm:

I don't know what your old community provided for you in detail, but it seems that you're just looking for a new, friendly neighborhood cafe to hang out with your friends?

We're definitely friendly, so that's not the problem. (I mean, the rest are. Just to get that straight: I'm not. I think that every place needs their resident witch, and for LV, that would be me. :twisted: Welcome again. :mrgreen: )

So, this place is more like a cafeteria in an office highrise, where the workers come to grab a coffee and a muffin every now and then before heading upstairs again. It's not that you can't come in, but unless you're joining the workforce, it may feel a bit awkward.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

So, are you all gonna read and/or pl here? Haven't seen any 1-minute-test of one of yours yet? SparkNotes is that one from Barnes&Nobles, right? So you're gonna be the Shakespear guys? ;) Many of the literature there you might already find read here (which doesn't mean that you couldn't do a second, third or ... version, LibriVox loves the choice of voice); maybe some even aren't read yet.
I think audio books would make a good addition to that site - I understand it is not shut down completely but only the comments?
Availle wrote: January 31st, 2019, 2:00 am (I mean, the rest are. Just to get that straight: I'm not. I think that every place needs their resident witch, and for LV, that would be me. :twisted: Welcome again. :mrgreen: )
Oh shoot, and I thought I was supposed to do that <crawlingsubmissivelyawayagain>.
Last edited by moniaqua on January 31st, 2019, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueGreenHue

Post by BlueGreenHue »

Kai here, reporting for duty!
IIparrkerrII

Post by IIparrkerrII »

YOO it's parr_kerr
IIparrkerrII

Post by IIparrkerrII »

I dont mind feeling awkward lol
RoseByAnotherName

Post by RoseByAnotherName »

I missed a lot in the OT last night. Sorry I had to sign off so soon. My mom wanted me off the computer and I don't have SparkNotes on my phone. Oh well. I'm here now. (By the way, you can still comment on SparkNotes. At least I can.)
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Ok guys, it is nice that you found some new place to stay but I do not really like the fact that you totally ignore your new host. At least the ones of you who didn't introduce themselves - and those are far the most - could do this asap! Sorry mods if I seem not to be nice but it is not nice at all to hijack a community and ignore the ones already there completely and even make fun of us with
IIparrkerrII wrote: January 31st, 2019, 7:22 am I dont mind feeling awkward lol
as answer to
Availle wrote: January 31st, 2019, 2:00 am It's not that you can't come in, but unless you're joining the workforce, it may feel a bit awkward.
. Nothing against chattering, but say at least hello! :evil: