Experiment: Collaborative Letter-Story Game

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Letter 29 is up! John Armstrong is disappointed in the will, and in Timothy, but is at least certain of the affection of his devoted Marillin...
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

mightyfelix wrote: March 5th, 2019, 8:10 pm
commonsparrow3 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 8:02 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 6:31 pmAre you OK with the suggested Timothy/Henry change?
Oh, yes, I'm fine with any changes the original letter writers wish to make! I didn't realize you were waiting for an OK from me, since I hadn't written any of the letters about these characters. Sorry for delaying things. :oops:
No, you're fine. I actually meant to make this change yesterday, since we'd heard from a majority already. But then I got so focused on my letter and the other family tree I wanted to build.

I added one more participant yesterday who asked to join through PM, but hasn't checked in on the thread yet, so maybe we'll get a contribution from him soon! :D
Awesome!
Who is it? (Just curious.)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 8:02 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 6:31 pmAre you OK with the suggested Timothy/Henry change?
Oh, yes, I'm fine with any changes the original letter writers wish to make! I didn't realize you were waiting for an OK from me, since I hadn't written any of the letters about these characters. Sorry for delaying things. :oops:

I just read the latest letter -- ooh! -- and now, here we go on new plot adventures! I can't wait to see how everyone reacts to Mrs Armstrong's death, and what happens with all the conflicting wills, and where Angela decides to go next!
Nope, it's totally fine! I just thought you might have had doubts about it, so that's why I asked.

I'll work on the next letter right now. (Sorry, yesterday I said I'd work on the next letter, but once I got on the doc my mind went blank- I couldn't think of anything! I've got a plan now.)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Letter 30 is up! Sorry for the long letter, though.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Letter 31 is up. Marillin isn't ready to give up plotting with Richard [EDIT- I meant John, of course! Thanks, Rachel, for catching my brain bungle!] yet -- though she still manages to avoid committing herself to marrying him. She is keeping her other options open! (I hope my hint was clear enough to the reader that her contact "close to the family" must refer to William, while still remaining vague enough to keep John in the dark!)
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on March 7th, 2019, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm Letter 31 is up. Marillin isn't ready to give up plotting with Richard yet -- though she still manages to avoid committing herself to marrying him. She is keeping her other options open! (I hope my hint was clear enough to the reader that her contact "close to the family" must refer to William, while still remaining vague enough to keep John in the dark!)
I haven't read it yet- but I think it's actually John she's plotting with.
commonsparrow3 wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm Marillin isn't ready to give up plotting with Richard yet
Right? I'm sure the letter will be great, I'll read it right now! :D
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Ooh, letter 31 is good! Thanks Maria for writing it! :)

Again, along the lines that Devorah mentioned earlier, this strongly reminds me of one of C.S. Lewis's works...just the opening that Marillin began with, 'my dear John', reminds me of The Screwtape Letters.

"My dear Wormwood..."
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Also, I don't know if this is possible or not (it's kind of hard to work into letters) but could we maybe put a little bit of physical description into the letters? It could be super slight, it doesn't have to be full-on descriptions. I just think it might be fun to know what the characters look like, even a little bit :)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

JayKitty76 wrote: March 7th, 2019, 1:03 pm
commonsparrow3 wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm Letter 31 is up. Marillin isn't ready to give up plotting with Richard yet --
Oops! You're right of course! My brain was out to lunch! Thanks for catching that! I've edited that post to correct it. :oops:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: March 7th, 2019, 2:18 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: March 7th, 2019, 1:03 pm
commonsparrow3 wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm Letter 31 is up. Marillin isn't ready to give up plotting with Richard yet --
Oops! You're right of course! My brain was out to lunch! Thanks for catching that! I've edited that post to correct it. :oops:
Nope, it's fine! I got a brilliant idea for the story yesterday, too...very interesting!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Letter 32 is up! The plot thickens, considerably! John Armstrong is a bit upset about Marillin's letter, so... (you'll see!)

That was a lot of fun to write :lol:

Hope you like it!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OMG! :shock: John is brilliant and nasty!

Letter 33 is up, from poor Jane! :( I hop I can recal howe to rite normaly after ths!

(I went back and deteriorated the spelling a bit in Jane's previous letter to make it more phonetic, although it is still clear that someone has taught her how to write letters formally and to spell her own and her mother's name. But this letter gets even worse towards the end... da, da, da, dum!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Poor Jane! :cry:

I just got caught up on the last four or five letters. That's quite a bold move from wicked Uncle John! :shock:
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Oh my goodness! What a plot twist! Uncle John is even worse than I had imagined! Who will save Jane?!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

commonsparrow3 wrote: March 8th, 2019, 6:55 pm Oh my goodness! What a plot twist! Uncle John is even worse than I had imagined! Who will save Jane?!
So many possibilities! Might Marillin betray him to her own advantage? How about Uncle William gets hold of the plot (or is appealed to by Kitty) since he is the only other person connected with Marillin - he could save Jane, but why would he? Angela or Laura herself might work out what is going on - someone must have missed her at Armitage Hill? Or could the mysterious Timothy/Henry reappear??

I wrote the last letter so I can't write the next one, so I can speculate as wildly as I lik! ;)