Experiment: Collaborative Letter-Story Game

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hey, all. I'd like to try and play a little game with anyone who's interested.

I went to a literature convention last weekend, and one presentation was about a kind of game/collaborative fiction. How it works is, someone writes a letter, taking on the persona of a fictional person. Then someone else will write another letter, continuing the story which was begun in the first letter. Letters can be written to and from any character already mentioned, or you can introduce new characters, just so long as you build on the story in some way.

I've written a letter from "Angela" to "Patricia," here. If you want to play, PM me your email address and I'll make this file editable for you. (Don't post your email publicly in this thread. Remember this is a public forum and you don't want your info stolen.) Then you can go in and write a second letter, or a third, etc, continuing the story.

The rules are:
  1. You may not write more than one letter in a row. Allow at least one other player to submit a letter before you write a new one. If someone is in the process of writing a letter (you'll be able to see them editing in Google), allow them to finish before you begin your letter. (Who knows? Maybe they'll reveal some crucial information to forward the plot!)
  2. You cannot flatly contradict what has already been written. This is not to say that you can't seem to contradict it. So-and-so is dead? No, he's really alive! Or perhaps two characters seem to contradict each other because one of them was wrong, or lying. But if a previous writer has ascertained that the action takes place on board a space ship, you can't decide that it's really a story about the Alamo, for instance.
  3. The story should always remain family friendly. Some light cursing is probably allowable, but this is not going to become, say, an erotica novel.
  4. The genre of the story (barring erotica) is entirely open. Love story? Sci fi? Historical novel? Dragons and wizards? I have no idea, yet, and neither do you!
  5. As you read each letter, you may correct typos if you like, but do not alter previous letters in any material way! (Also bear in mind they may not be typos. Perhaps the character who wrote the letter is a poor speller. :wink:)
  6. DO NOT criticize another writer's writing skills, storytelling skills, creativity, or in any other way put down any person participating in this game. That's a good way to make it no fun for anyone to play, and then we'll never find out how the story ends!
  7. Most recent letters are at the top of the page; oldest letters at the bottom.
  8. After the close of each letter, include your name (or pseudonym) in brackets, just because I think it'll be fun for people to know who wrote which parts of the story.
  9. When you have submitted your letter, please post here to let everyone know that there's a new installment.
I may need to amend the rules, or perhaps migrate the story to another platform if Google docs doesn't work out. Please join me in this creative collaboration! :D

EDIT:

Armstrong Family Tree
Angela Family Tree
Last edited by mightyfelix on March 5th, 2019, 1:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Devorah,
One question before I begin writing:
If someone writes multiple letters, following your rules, do you have to write it as if it's constantly to/and/or/from the same fictional person? Or can you change characters in different letters?
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 26th, 2019, 1:29 pm Devorah,
One question before I begin writing:
If someone writes multiple letters, following your rules, do you have to write it as if it's constantly to/and/or/from the same fictional person? Or can you change characters in different letters?
You can change the writer and/or recipient, yes. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Letter #2 is in the bag! :clap: We have a few more hints now about some of the people and the setting, and a new character has been introduced!

(I am going to amend the rules above, to show that participants should post here to indicate that they've submitted a new letter. This way, anyone following the story will know when to check for the newest installment.)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks, Devorah-- awesome! This is super fun :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I've got an idea for a letter! Can I play?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Of course! PM me your email and I will give you access.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, you're in! Looking forward to it!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Letter 3 is up!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ooh, interesting! I've got an idea of my own, but I may not be able to flesh it out into a letter for a couple of days. (Of course, anyone else is welcome to continue in the meantime. I'm not trying to call dibs on Letter #4 for myself! :wink: )
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Elizabby wrote: ↑January 29th, 2019, 3:31 am Letter 3 is up!
Wow, Elizabby- letter 3 is excellent! There are some clues as to who certain characters may be, and some mysteries left unsolved, but....wow, this story is turning out splendidly!
Your contribution progressed the story along amazingly!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Devorah,
Another question(sorry :? ) : Can two letters in a row be from the same writer (not actual LV author, but the 'writer' of the letters in the story)? For example, letter 3 is from Rebecca-- if someone wanted to, could letter 4 be from Rebecca to a same/different recipient?
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

A clarifying question for Elizabby (really, I do apologize for all these questions!) :
When you mentioned both Kitty and Katherine at the very beginning of your letter, did you mean 'Kitty' to be a separate character altogether? Or was that just a nickname for Katherine?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'm sure it could be! The object is creative writing, so I think anyone can write for any character!

Glad you liked Letter 3! I've never tried epistolary writing before, so it's a new style to me! (Kitty is a standard old fashioned nickname for Katherine - as used by Jane Austen in Pride and Prejudice!)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Ah, thank you! I haven't read a lot of old-fashioned books (like Jane Austen-- but I do like Emma!)