Experiment: Collaborative Letter-Story Game

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

commonsparrow3 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 3:13 pm I just read Letter 38! I see you finally found a way to bring Henry into the plot -- I like it!

And I like Marillin's back-story. I never thought she was an outright villain like John, not someone who would condone kidnapping and harming a young girl. But she does seem to like money and what it can buy a little too much, leading her to some bad choices -- like choosing a scoundrel like John over a nice poor guy like William. I liked how you used Letter 38 to reveal her background, a poor orphan who went to work in a rich family's home at a young age, seeing all around her the things she wanted and couldn't afford. I like how it helps us understand a bit of why Marillin is the way she is. :thumbs:

I think she might be a bit afraid of John now, after seeing how he treated Jane. His threat to make her drink a lot of drugged milk and "sleep permanently" reveals him to be a dangerous guy. It's possible he threatened Marillin, too, when she was reluctant to follow his orders. Or it's possible that she lied about the threat, in order to assure that John would be in enough trouble to get him locked up and far away from her. (But somehow, I'd be surprised if John was caught already. I imagine him fleeing as soon as he knew the jig was up -- and then sending Marillin one of those villianish mustache-twirling messages like "Bwah-hah-hah! I will be revenged! You have not heard the last of me!" -- I guess I've seen too many old melodramas!)
Glad you liked it!

I assumed she had lied about John's threat, but writing letter 38 really made me rethink that idea. It definitely makes more sense. If John hasn't been caught yet, it might be fun to have him come back to try to take revenge- or not. We'll see how that plays out. :) I love your ideas, Maria! I think I might have had some of that in my subconscious, (I mean, I knew it but didn't think it out yet), but yeah, I never really brought all that to mind. I like that!
mightyfelix wrote: March 14th, 2019, 3:46 pm
I have a bit of a plan for him. Still need to work out the details.
I'm glad you do, because I don't know where to go now with anyone :) That's the fun of collaborative writing, everyone develops different characters and then they all come together with a plot (or several) beautifully!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

This project officially has 11K and ten views!

Most of you probably don't care about that...but anyway, I thought it was cool.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I had been following the thread with considerable admiration for the ability you've all showed in developing the story line. What happened? Did it get too complex to develop consistently with the previous letters?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Peter Why wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 11:34 am I had been following the thread with considerable admiration for the ability you've all showed in developing the story line. What happened? Did it get too complex to develop consistently with the previous letters?

Peter
Thank you! I'm actually not sure...in the earlier stages it lagged for about two weeks, but then someone came up with another idea and then we were fueled for about another month. I wrote the last letter, so I can't write another one till someone else comes up with it.

Thank you for your encouragement- that made me very happy!

Thank you,
Rachel
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I think possibly the March clean-up threw it off track, because we were all trying to work on LV projects. I've had this in the back of my mind still, but don't want to do anything with it until I come back home.