Public Domain Column at File 770

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

File 770 (file770.com) is a science fiction/fantasy news site for fans. It's a largely one-man show operated by long-time fan Mike Glyer. I stumbled across it in the aftermath of the 'sad puppies" Hugo-award-rigging controversy in 2015 and have been reading it and occasionally commenting ever since. It's pretty amazing, with several posts daily including an extensive news roundup. It's a spin-off/descendant of a print publication that Glyer put out for years.

He also opens it up for contributions from other interested fans, and several people have ongoing columns or features on various topics. A few months ago I had the idea of creating one of these to share public domain works (including Librivox books) that I stumble over while participating in Librivox and indulging my resulting addiction for randomly exploring Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive. I started a biweekly feature called "Wandering Through the Public Domain" in November, and the fifth installment posted yesterday: http://file770.com/wandering-through-the-public-domain-5/.

I wanted to tell y'all about it (and invite folks here to share any works of interest to SFF fans that they may have recorded or stumbled across, and want others to discover) but I wanted to wait to see if I was going to stick with it. I'm really enjoying doing it, so I think it's going to stick around for a while.

If you want to see the previous 4 columns, the easiest way is to click on the "Colleen McMahon" tag at the bottom of the current entry.

Also please feel free to let me know of anything I got wrong and I'll make corrections! You can mention it here or in a comment over there, or PM me here.

And thanks for the all the work everyone does and has done here to create this thing that helped me (and now others) find this whole amazing world of public domain works to wander through and wonder at!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Cori

Post by Cori »

I do like your writing style, Colleen, and it makes for interesting reading -- encore!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Aw shucks, thanks! I have been having so much fun digging around on PG and Internet Archive, I'm just happy to have a place to natter on about the cool stuff I find!

And I love that I can let more people know about the many neat creations the folks here have been cranking out, as well. Spreading the word!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai