One Book A Week Club 2019

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mhhbook

Post by mhhbook » June 7th, 2019, 2:51 pm

My list of books read in May is rather slim. I abandoned the one "real" book I was reading, "Gentlemen of the Road" by Michael Chabon. Life kept interrupting, so I eventually lost the thread of the story and lost interest in it. I don't think I'll try reading it again, though I think it would be an entertaining movie. I hope to read at least one actual paper book this month, though e-books and audiobooks tend to win the day. In the meantime, here's my list for May:

"The Bette Davis Club" by Jane Lotter. Very good. Cute, entertaining. Kindle e-book. Touching, interesting backstory. The author was a columnist who died of cancer. This was her first and last book, published after she passed away. Entertaining story of a 50 plus woman who had some disappointments in life, getting her life back together.
"The Nightingale and the Rose" by Oscar Wilde. BBC Radio Drama. Very good
"The Spirit of Sweetwater" by Hamlin Garland. LibriVox Recording. Fairly good. Nicely done
"Two Sisters" by Ashton David. BBC Radio Drama. Odd little story, nicely performed
"The Man in the Picture" by Susan Hill. BBC Radio Drama. OK ghost story. Didn’t especially impress me.
Mary

“Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks.” – Dr. Seuss

Marsupial's Books

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » June 9th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Oh why not? I’ll make my goal 30

This is what I have read so far.
Work related
Reprogramming Carlos
Redirecting billy
The secret supers

For fun
The compete Sherlock Holmes.
Trust no one
Riley Mack and others know troublemakers
Crazy Grace
Gator on the loose
Oliver Twist

School related

The Devine Comedy
The compete works of John Calvin
Schaffer in 3 volumes
The republic

For lv

The blind brother
Freackls (Yes I used me bcing it as a excuse to read the whole thing again. Don’t just get me )

Remaining books 📚

Great expectations
Sense and sensibility
Then entire heritiage collage set in warfare.

mhhbook

Post by mhhbook » July 3rd, 2019, 2:44 pm

Here are the books (and radio dramas) that I've read or listened to in June. A pretty nice assortment. Altogether, a good reading month.

"Early Stories by Daphne DuMaurier" BBC Radio Drama Good stories. Early DuMaurier style.

"Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry. Library audio book. Excellent story. Beautifully read by Lee Horsley. One of those books I've been "fixin to" read in years. Glad I finally did so.

"Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" by Steven King. BBC radio drama. Excellent reading of Steven King novella by actor Clarke Peters. Really well done story.

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" by Victor Hugo. LibriVox audiobook. Excellent reading of the classic.

"The True Life Story of Isobel Roundtree" by Kathleen Wallace King. Hardback book. OK. Story of a young girl coping with dysfunctional parents. Good in parts, but nothing about it especially grabbed me.

"The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. Paperback book. Very good, pleasant story. Enjoyed it a lot.

"The Case of the Pocket Diary Found in the Snow" by Auguste Groner. LibriVox audio book. Fairly good. Short read, simple plot.

"Find the Woman" by Gelett Burgess. LibriVox audio book. Good. Entertaining. Improbable in places, but fun.
Mary

“Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks.” – Dr. Seuss

Marsupial's Books