Recording booth

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

I applaud your efforts. That's outstanding. :clap:

I like your decision to use glass wool; it's so much more effective than foam, especially on the bass frequencies.

If I can make a few comments:
You may want to experiment with the mic position. Even soft material reflects a certain amount of sound, so having it very close to the booth wall is going to pick up quite strong reflections in to the back of the mic. You also have that wooden upright support very close to the mic which is going to reflect sound. See if moving the mic forward 20-30cm makes any difference. If you do that, you may also need to experiment with the tablet position (reflections, again).

The other area to consider treating is behind you - that's the direction the mic's pointing so that's obviously where any residual echo will be picked up. A blanket hanging close to your back is often effective. Also, if you have the space to turn the booth so that your back is facing a corner of the room rather than being square to the wall. That often sounds better because it's harder for echoes to be reflected from room corners.

Happy experimenting, and thanks for sharing your hard work.

-Ian-
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

I have made some further modifications (does it ever stop?!). I put the microphone into the suspension again, after quieting it down (it made some squeaking noises before, which I fixed with some superglue). The microphone is now about 15cm (6") from the insulation. I also added a frame on which I can hang a blanket (see pictures), this should reduce echo from behind me. The first recordings with the new setup will commence shortly. [edit] Here's a test recording with the setup - I don't hear an echo, do you? :wink: http://mmikw.altervista.org/booth_new.mp3 [/edit]

Image Image
Last edited by merendo07 on January 20th, 2019, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Good to see you! - Ben.
Cori

Post by Cori »

merendo07 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 11:31 amI have made some further modifications (does it ever stop?!).
I'm on my seventh major setup, with a couple of dozen minor changes in between, so ... umm ... no, at least in my experience, it never stops. :thumbs:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

Cori wrote: January 19th, 2019, 11:57 am I'm on my seventh major setup, with a couple of dozen minor changes in between, so ... umm ... no, at least in my experience, it never stops. :thumbs:
As the slogan of a major hardware store brand in Germany says: "There's always something to do!" :D
Good to see you! - Ben.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

That sounds pretty good now. What mic are you using?
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

lurcherlover wrote: January 19th, 2019, 11:25 pm That sounds pretty good now. What mic are you using?
I use the Samson Meteor Mic. Not the most expensive piece of recording equipment but for this purpose, it's well suited, I think.
Good to see you! - Ben.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Yes, I thought your voice sounded very good. You certainly have a good set up now.
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

lurcherlover wrote: January 20th, 2019, 1:45 am Yes, I thought your voice sounded very good. You certainly have a good set up now.
Thank you :) All that hard work is beginning to pay off :thumbs:
Good to see you! - Ben.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This is interesting, but we do not encourage images in the forum unless really necessary and you have posted a large number of very large images when something a fraction of the size would have worked just as well. I don't want to have to edit your posts but could you please see what you can do to make them all much much smaller ?
You just need to make the images you link to small.
Anne
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

annise wrote: January 20th, 2019, 4:51 am This is interesting, but we do not encourage images in the forum unless really necessary and you have posted a large number of very large images when something a fraction of the size would have worked just as well. I don't want to have to edit your posts but could you please see what you can do to make them all much much smaller ?
Anne
Proposal: How about I remove the images altogether and instead, post a link to a gallery on Imageshack where everyone can look at the images at their leisure?
Good to see you! - Ben.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

merendo07 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:25 am How about I remove the images altogether and instead, post a link to a gallery on Imageshack
I don't really like that idea but can you still edit the subject of the thread? You could supply a warning there.

As for the pics, you could reduce them in size easily with the batch processor of GIMP. I think there can be seen enough if thy have a size like about 200x300 px, there aren't too much important details. Und Fläche geht quadratisch ein :)
merendo07

Post by merendo07 »

merendo07 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:25 am
annise wrote: January 20th, 2019, 4:51 am This is interesting, but we do not encourage images in the forum unless really necessary and you have posted a large number of very large images when something a fraction of the size would have worked just as well. I don't want to have to edit your posts but could you please see what you can do to make them all much much smaller ?
Anne
Proposal: How about I remove the images altogether and instead, post a link to a gallery on Imageshack where everyone can look at the images at their leisure?
Never mind, I'm resizing the images and turning each into a link to an album on Imageshack with the full size images there.
Good to see you! - Ben.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

merendo07 wrote: January 20th, 2019, 10:09 am Never mind, I'm resizing the images and turning each into a link to an album on Imageshack with the full size images there.
:thumbs: Wonderful!