Oral Storytelling Conference Texas Jan 2019

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm registered for a one-day conference in Waco, TX that is fast approaching, and I'm so excited! It is being hosted by the Mythgard Institute, an offshoot of Signum University. It exists to further the study and discussion of fantasy fiction and other kinds of imaginative literature, and many of the programs they offer can be found for free on their website! Signum and Mythgard are entirely Internet-based (kind of like us, they have no physical campus or office), but every year, they do a large conference (Mythmoot) and several smaller regional conferences.

Coming up in about a month is the second annual Texas Literature & Language Symposium (aka “TexMoot”), and the theme for the day is "Around the Talkative Planet." (This is a nod to one of C.S. Lewis's books, titled "Out of the Silent Planet.") Speakers will be discussing spoken storytelling and oral literature, and how it's surviving and thriving into the modern age. From the conference web page:
TexMoot will offer a gleeful gallimaufry of short papers, longer talks, lively curated conversations, writing and podcasting workshops, a panel of special guests, a keynote presentation, creative performances, gaming, a costume contest, dancing, and lots of fellowship and local flavor. Register now to enjoy this balanced blend of academic rigor and avid literary fandom.
Of course, we LVers are spread out all over the place, just as Mythgard fans are, but if anyone is able to make a day trip to Waco, I'm betting you'd enjoy this conference just as much as I will. It's $30 for the day, and I'd love to meet and hang out with you!

http://texmoot.org/

(Admins, if this is considered stepping over the line into the realm of advertising, I'm happy to remove it. But I wanted to share it, because I think this conference dovetails so well with what we do.)