[NOT LV] Recording job: academic textbooks (paid)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi all,

I'm looking for readers to help out with recording academic textbooks (for undergraduates, various subjects). Would suit someone trying to break into the professional audiobook market. If interested, please PM me.

Admins: I hope this post is appropriate - if not, please LMK. We are in the commercial audiobook business but many of our readers come from LibriVox and still volunteer for LibriVox. Whenever I get a job seeking email from a narrator with no experience, I always refer them here. I know others have from time to time posted 'job offers' here and it was fine but if the stance on this has changed, of course I'll want to abide by the new rules.

On a more personal note, I've very much missed this place and the minute I can find some time I'd like to come and be part of this project again! :) I'm currently trying to get some Japanese friends to post some readings.

Best wishes to all who may remember me, and of course to all others as well. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi Gesine,
I have PM'ed you. Thanks!
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have been working for Gesine as a PLer for the last 3 years, so let me clarify what is expected here:

- These are university level textbooks, mostly in Psychology, that come with the appropriate technical/medical terms.
- All of this must be word perfect.
- Professional standards for background noise, echo etc. apply.
- This is a LOT of work with VERY tight deadlines, for both the recording and the editing.

So, unless applicants have oodles of (quiet) time to record and look up all of those terms and names, and can quickly produce professional quality (including seamless editing), this is not the right job.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This isn't for me - I'm no professional narrator - but I wanted to shout out a greeting to Gesine. Good to "see" you again! Image
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Availle wrote: ↑November 2nd, 2018, 5:05 pm I have been working for Gesine as a PLer for the last 3 years, so let me clarify what is expected here:
Thank you for clarifying that :) It sounds intriguing, but tight deadlines on word-perfect texts with seamless editing and no background noise is definitely not for me :lol:
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

TriciaG wrote: ↑November 2nd, 2018, 6:07 pm This isn't for me - I'm no professional narrator - but I wanted to shout out a greeting to Gesine. Good to "see" you again! Image
Thank you, Tricia, hope to 'see' more of you soon - realistically, not before the New Year because we're so busy but maybe after February. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Availle wrote: ↑November 2nd, 2018, 5:05 pm I have been working for Gesine as a PLer for the last 3 years, so let me clarify what is expected here:

- These are university level textbooks, mostly in Psychology, that come with the appropriate technical/medical terms.
- All of this must be word perfect.
- Professional standards for background noise, echo etc. apply.
- This is a LOT of work with VERY tight deadlines, for both the recording and the editing.

So, unless applicants have oodles of (quiet) time to record and look up all of those terms and names, and can quickly produce professional quality (including seamless editing), this is not the right job.
Just to clarify the clarification :): the tight deadlines don't always apply. These days, we are able to allocate material on a chapter-basis (like an LV Group Project) and if you join a project early on in production, you could have quite a while before the deadline. So if you know approximately how long it takes you to produce x amount of text, we should be able to find the right material for you - e.g. I have text in already now for a book that's only due in February.

So do get in touch if you're interested in giving it a go - it might be worth a try even if after a chapter you realise it's not for you. :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Gesine wrote: ↑November 3rd, 2018, 2:11 am e.g. I have text in already now for a book that's only due in February.
:lol: Funny how I never seem to get any of those to PL. :P
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Availle wrote: ↑November 3rd, 2018, 2:17 am
Gesine wrote: ↑November 3rd, 2018, 2:11 am due in February.
Oh, you surely get them - in midst of January :lol: ;)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:P

Actually, although Gesine isn't mentioning this here, she is always looking for new PLers too. So, if you can start by Mid January... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

β€œPsychology”?

Always a test subject, never a reader. <sigh> :lol:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Gesine wrote: ↑November 3rd, 2018, 2:11 am e.g. I have text in already now for a book that's only due in February.
Haha, that's because I know that you thrive under pressure. ;) Also, there are also always more urgent deadlines to meet, for PL...
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Gesine wrote: ↑November 3rd, 2018, 3:14 am
Haha, that's because I know that you thrive under pressure. ;)
Actually, this is true indeed!
It would be much better for my work-life balance if this weren't quite so obvious to my clients though. :roll:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

What are the other textbook subjects besides Psychology?
Just checking in...I need 6 months-a year of more experience before I can participate.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Lots of different subjects... anthropology, politics, history, academic writing, sociology, etc.